The Student Room Group

Westminster school 2018 entry. QUESTIONS! Xx

Hi All, I have just accepted a place at Westminster as a girl joining in the 6th form. As you could imagine I am extremely excited to be moving on to such an amazing school with a considerable amount of friends. But the prospectus only says so much, I'd be really interested to hear about what really goes on at Westminster behind the doors, Instagram and Facebook pages... And also, are the boys really as desperate for female attention as everyone seems to suggest?

Scroll to see replies

hey, what subjects did you apply with? x
Art history, history, english and theatre, but I may be switching to latin? How about you?
Original post by blizza1234
hey, what subjects did you apply with? x

Art history, history, english and theatre but I might be switching to latin? How about you? X
Original post by Hunterwellies
Hi All, I have just accepted a place at Westminster as a girl joining in the 6th form. As you could imagine I am extremely excited to be moving on to such an amazing school with a considerable amount of friends. But the prospectus only says so much, I'd be really interested to hear about what really goes on at Westminster behind the doors, Instagram and Facebook pages... And also, are the boys really as desperate for female attention as everyone seems to suggest?

hiya ik this is nothing to do with what you said, but now nearing the end of gcses im certain i dont want to go back to my school. Do you have any idea if its to late to apply, and what grades are you predicted?
Original post by izziehaynes
hiya ik this is nothing to do with what you said, but now nearing the end of gcses im certain i dont want to go back to my school. Do you have any idea if its to late to apply, and what grades are you predicted?

Heya, I’m predicted 7A*s 2A’s a B and a C. I think it would be too late to apply now as the interview and exam process was really long and drawn out and there is already a super long waiting list for those who did not make it 1st time. However there are other equally amazing schools you may be able to apply to. For example; highgate, ucs, kings etc x
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 6

Hey I'm also joining Westminster this September literally in a week as a new girl. i have some friends there already and honestly it's going to be so much fun and a great experience. The boys are pretty desperate for attention can't lie but we girls will stick together don't worry!
Lol shut up fam you must be clapped
Original post by H.Htun
Hey there! Is there any advice you could give me with regards to the exams and interview process? I’m sitting exams in maths and f maths, physics and economics this saturday, as well as the interviews. Could use some help :smile:)

^^^^^
The maths is what's scaring me the most, if it's GCSE style, I think I'll be alright but if it's UKMT style then Saturday's going to be disastrous for me:frown:
Does anybody know what to expect?
Original post by H.Htun
I’m most worried about physics. Econ will probably be mostly waffle on my part. If its UKMT maths tho i’m done. I got a silver last year. I’m actually revising completing the square and circle theorems rn

Silver is good though! Going through the threads, it does sound like the physics was the hardest out of the three sciences (I might be wrong). I'm doing economics, French, maths and history; I'm a lot better at humanities type subjects which is why I'm worried about the maths. Have you tried the school's "The Challenge" papers? I think there's one for Physics.
Original post by H.Htun
I haven’t. I must try them out. Im equally good at humanities and the sciences but i’d prefer a more mathy a level. I heard history a level is very strenuous. I regret putting physics over chem :frown:(. How hard r the papers

I love the sciences too but I don't really want to pursue them in the future hence my decision not to study them at A-Level. People kept saying that the Chemistry was based on period table relationships, the biology was extended GCSE but not too hard and the Physics was difficult. But their opinions are subjective so if you're good at Physics, you'll probably find it alright. The Challenge papers are hard! I'm normally fine at maths but some of those questions were taking me 10minutes+ and they're for 13 year olds :frown:
Original post by H.Htun
I haven’t. I must try them out. Im equally good at humanities and the sciences but i’d prefer a more mathy a level. I heard history a level is very strenuous. I regret putting physics over chem :frown:(. How hard r the papers

I also PMed somebody who took the test a while ago and she said
"Hey - from my experience the maths exam is more gcse styled rather than UKMT styled - but it was two years ago so memories are fading and I am not sure if it is still the same. I did UKMT questions only during the senior and intermediate maths challenges and I don't think it is that helpful in general, but maybe it could help for better logical and creative approaches to questions. I did not do any olympiad styled question for my science subjects but the papers are indeed significantly harder than straight forward gcse styled question with some thinking required. Goodluck in your application!"
Original post by H.Htun
I honestly might email asking to change from Physics to Chemistry. I had put Chemistry for every other school but for some reason I decided to put Physics for WS??? I’m far better at Chemistry

But there's no guarantee that Chemistry will be easier and if Physics is what you actually want to study there then it'll be easier for you to do the exam in that subject; they make you do another exam if you change your subject choice. Idk it's up to you but you sound really smart, I'm sure you'll be fine either way :smile:
Original post by toyinx
But there's no guarantee that Chemistry will be easier and if Physics is what you actually want to study there then it'll be easier for you to do the exam in that subject; they make you do another exam if you change your subject choice. Idk it's up to you but you sound really smart, I'm sure you'll be fine either way :smile:

I probably sound smarter than I actually am tbh. I think that I will leave it, and see where it goes :smile:. I’m doing the Challenge papers right now and they seem alright. Some questions are quite tricky though. They’ve just re taught me the area of a trapezium 😂which I somehow forgot...
Original post by H.Htun
I probably sound smarter than I actually am tbh. I think that I will leave it, and see where it goes :smile:. I’m doing the Challenge papers right now and they seem alright. Some questions are quite tricky though. They’ve just re taught me the area of a trapezium 😂which I somehow forgot...

If you do The Challenge Maths 3 2015, will you tell me what you got? There's no mark scheme and some of my answers look a bit dodgy :smile:
On another thread, someone was talking about people pre-preparing their personal statement and I'm realising how unprepared I am. I'm extremely jealous of the fact that you find the maths questions alright, I had to just leave some of them because I had no idea what I was doing. I guess the next four days for me are going to be work work work :frown:
Original post by toyinx
If you do The Challenge Maths 3 2015, will you tell me what you got? There's no mark scheme and some of my answers look a bit dodgy :smile:
On another thread, someone was talking about people pre-preparing their personal statement and I'm realising how unprepared I am. I'm extremely jealous of the fact that you find the maths questions alright, I had to just leave some of them because I had no idea what I was doing. I guess the next four days for me are going to be work work work :frown:

Please don’t feel jealous or worse than me. In my experience, the people who underestimate themselves do better in school entry examinations. I could try the challenge from that year now. Also, I don’t think pre preparing the ps will help much. Might try tho?
Original post by toyinx
Silver is good though! Going through the threads, it does sound like the physics was the hardest out of the three sciences (I might be wrong). I'm doing economics, French, maths and history; I'm a lot better at humanities type subjects which is why I'm worried about the maths. Have you tried the school's "The Challenge" papers? I think there's one for Physics

Don't worry about the challenge papers - they are for prospective Queen's Scholars - they are about a gazillion times harder than the entrance exams. The paper will be GCSE style with a westminster twist just to test your natural erudition. Take it easy and do your best to show off - they want to challenge you but also allow you to show your best side... enjoy it if you can !!
Don't worry about the challenge papers - they are for prospective Queen's Scholars - they are about a gazillion times harder than the entrance exams. The paper will be GCSE style with a westminster twist just to test your natural erudition. Take it easy and do your best to show off - they want to challenge you but also allow you to show your best side... enjoy it if you can !!

Thank you so much for this! Those papers were seriously stressing me out :smile:
(Original post by H.Htun)Please don’t feel jealous or worse than me. In my experience, the people who underestimate themselves do better in school entry examinations. I could try the challenge from that year now. Also, I don’t think pre preparing the ps will help much. Might try tho?

Definately DO prepare the PS - that's where you can really show off. Just memorise some cool things you've done or achieved and think about WHY you want to go to westminster because they will ask you about that. The PS can save you.
I speak from experience having gotten in last year xx
Original post by toyinx

I wouldn't reccomend revising too hard. These tests are designed so you cannot revise for them. It's all about your natural capability; so don't fret too hard. Ignore the challenge papers unless you are a prospective QS they will just worry you. Trust me you'll be alright - the teachers want you to do well!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending