The Student Room Group

Guarantor (renting)

hi all,

Looking to rent privately and move out of my parents place soon.

simple question really; how on earth am I going to be able to move out if everywhere is (likely) going to require a guarantor off me? Assuming that I couldn't find anyone willing to be my guarantor with a good credit report.

I am speaking hypothetically as I have not had a discussion with my parents about being a guarantor yet. However, they are aware of my financial situation. They'd be the only realistic people willing to be a guarantor.

I'm financially stable and able to afford this.
Original post by jordon1703
hi all,

simple question really; how on earth am I going to be able to move out if everywhere is (likely) going to require a guarantor off me? Assuming that I couldn't find anyone willing to be my guarantor with a good credit report.

I am speaking hypothetically as I have not had a discussion with my parents about being a guarantor yet. However, they are aware of my financial situation. They'd be the only realistic people willing to be a guarantor.

Sometimes you can get insurance. Other times its up to the LL if you g direct. renting a room is easier. You cna also pay a alrge deposiy suc as 3-6 months. Its all down to the LL.
Reply 2

Then what's the problem?

Every landlord and estate agent is different. As a landlord, as long as they pass referencing and affordability, I'm fine with it. (i.e, credit, employer reference, etc) I've very rarely had to charge more than 1 months' rent of deposit to get people in, let alone require a guarantor (never needed to). Chances are if you need a guarantor the Landlord will just choose a different tenant anyway. Stop speculating everyone will require a guarantor, get out there and you'll see.
Reply 3
hi all,

go to spareroom.co.uk and look for a landlord who doesn't require it
Reply 4
Original post by NX172
Then what's the problem?

Every landlord and estate agent is different. As a landlord, as long as they pass referencing and affordability, I'm fine with it. (i.e, credit, employer reference, etc) I've very rarely had to charge more than 1 months' rent of deposit to get people in, let alone require a guarantor (never needed to). Chances are if you need a guarantor the Landlord will just choose a different tenant anyway. Stop speculating everyone will require a guarantor, get out there and you'll see.

I've read online that first time renters almost always require a guarantor?
Reply 5
hi all,

What's the issue? Is there a reason why you think your parents will refuse to act as guarantors (or would fail the credit reference) even if one is required? If not you don't have a problem.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 6
I've read online that first time renters almost always require a guarantor?

Don't believe everything you read online...

Pretty standard rule when it comes to the internet
Reply 7
Original post by Doonesbury
What's the issue? Is there a reason why you think your parents will refuse to act as guarantors (or would fail the credit reference) even if one is required? If not you don't have a problem.

I don't see there being any issue and my dad has a pretty solid credit report seeing as he has always taken on my mum's credit.

It's more hypothetical, I should have made that more clear, I apologise for that.
Reply 8
I don't see there being any issue and my dad has a pretty solid credit report seeing as he has always taken on my mum's credit.

It's more hypothetical, I should have made that more clear, I apologise for that.

No need to apologise, but talk to your parents before putting hypothetical barriers in your way...
(edited 6 years ago)
you only need a guarantor if there's some reason for the landlord to be concerned about you paying, e.g. if you're a student or very young or can't prove earnings

after you have lived in one property you will have rferences for the next LL, and you can often pay several months up front to reassure potential landlords nyaway
Original post by doodle_333
you only need a guarantor if there's some reason for the landlord to be concerned about you paying, e.g. if you're a student or very young or can't prove earnings

after you have lived in one property you will have rferences for the next LL, and you can often pay several months up front to reassure potential landlords nyaway

I'm 19 - which is of course considered as very young. MY income is more than enough to rent comfortably however
As above - get all the necessary information before putting up imaginary hurdles. 19 or not, if you've got a stable income, decent credit history and can afford it then there's no real reason not to rent to you.
Original post by Duncan2012
As above - get all the necessary information before putting up imaginary hurdles. 19 or not, if you've got a stable income, decent credit history and can afford it then there's no real reason not to rent to you.

Cheers, I'll find some things out and speak to my parents if I find out I may need a guarantor. Thanks!
I'm 19 - which is of course considered as very young. MY income is more than enough to rent comfortably however

Different landlords will make their own decisions. I know people who needed a guarantor at your age and people who didn't. It's not just about your income but about your ability to manage it and whether or not you will be a reliable tenant (e.g. not move out with no notice, stop paying rent, pay late, break things, cause extra wear and tear, have loud parties and anger the neighbours etc etc etc) and younger people are often seen as more of a risk. For the same reason many landlords don't like to let to students or those with benefits. But that means it's down to landlord discretion and if you meet them and come across as mature they may have no issue.
Original post by doodle_333
Different landlords will make their own decisions. I know people who needed a guarantor at your age and people who didn't. It's not just about your income but about your ability to manage it and whether or not you will be a reliable tenant (e.g. not move out with no notice, stop paying rent, pay late, break things, cause extra wear and tear, have loud parties and anger the neighbours etc etc etc) and younger people are often seen as more of a risk. For the same reason many landlords don't like to let to students or those with benefits. But that means it's down to landlord discretion and if you meet them and come across as mature they may have no issue.

I'm not at all like the stereotypical 18/19 year old in any of those senses. So it's hopefully just a matter of coming across in the way that portrays that.

I'm more interested in moving out so I can start my own life, to sustain myself and be a functioning member of society. Of course I will have friends over, and I will be spending money - But I won't be doing anything that the Landlord doesn't want. Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending