The Student Room Group

Can't find accommodation in London

Hi guys,

Me and my sister are both KCL students going in to our second year of uni and we are trying to find a place to live. Originally we were going to live with 3 of our friends (5 bed place), but it didn't work out so we decided to split.
We are struggling because we do not have a guarantor - my parents don't make enough money annually to qualify as guarantors, and we do not have any other family members who would qualify either. We have tried seeing if a company guarantor would work (e.g. our university), but we have been told by most places that they will not accept them. We have been told that if we pay a few months rent immediately then we do not need a guarantor, but I don't think we will make enough money over summer to afford that (we could wait for SFE but I am afraid there will barely be any places left by mid-September). I am really worried that we will not be able to find a place to live - the housing team at KCL advised that if we can't find a place by mid-September and that if we cannot commute we should interrupt our studies. Obviously neither of us want to do this.
We have also been looking at student halls/accommodation, but most of the places we have looked at are either fully booked, outside of our budget (around £220 a week per person), or too far from campus.

Does anyone have any tips/advice? Any help is highly appreciated, thank you for reading :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending