The Student Room Group

Private student accommodation wanting the first installment of rent before i move in

I'm due to start uni in september, i asked to see the accommodation i'd been allocated yesterday and given papers to take home of general questions and answers. But also on that piece of paper is the fact that i have to pay the first installment of 4 by the 23rd August before i'm even allowed to move in or get the keys. Then the second installment a couple of weeks later. I can't afford that until my student loan comes in even then i can only afford the one not two so close together! And i keep finding information that contradicts each other one saying i need a gurantor if i'm paying it in installments and their website saying i don't need one.

Any help would be appreciated as now i don't know what i'm going to do as i'm having to move away from home for uni.
(edited 9 months ago)
Original post by courtney giblin
I'm due to start uni in september, i asked to see the accommodation i'd been allocated yesterday and given papers to take home of general questions and answers. But also on that piece of paper is the fact that i have to pay the first installment of 4 by the 23rd August before i'm even allowed to move in or get the keys. Then the second installment a couple of weeks later. I can't afford that until my student loan comes in even then i can only afford the one not two so close together! And i keep finding information that contradicts each other one saying i need a gurantor if i'm paying it in installments and their website saying i don't need one.

Any help would be appreciated as now i don't know what i'm going to do as i'm having to move away from home for uni.

Hi there,
I'd recommend getting in touch with your uni accommodation team to clarify. There's likely to be many other students in your situation, so they should be able to confirm if there's any flexibility or whether it would be possible to set up a payment plan. For example, at Student Roost we don't ask for any rent payments before October (by which time most students have their loan) but if there are issues, our property teams are happy to help.

It may be good to get information regarding the guarantor situation in writing, just in case there are any queries later on and explain that the website contradicts what you currently know.

Hope this helps!

- Sophie
Original post by courtney giblin

Hey there @courtney giblin !
Unfortunately it is common that you end up having to pay your first installment before you move in. I usually find its because they need to know you've paid your first set of rent in order to let you collect the keys. It won't mean you're paying for the place during these two weeks, you'll get that time back at some point during your tenancy where you won't have two weeks rent to pay somewhere. A guarantor is basically someone you can rely on to pay your rent if for some reason you can't. It's a legal thing and it's a very good idea to have one. I usually choose one of my parents because they can help out if my student loan hasn't come in in line with my rent payments. I believe you only don't need a guarantor if you're paying your rent outright which not many people can afford to do so I wouldn't worry about that.

Hope this helped!
Lucy - Digital Student Ambassador SHU

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending