The Student Room Group

Student living with Non Student

Hi, looking for some advice if anyone can help!
I’m looking to rent a 1 bed with my boyfriend when my lease runs out in September. We currently both earn enough to pass affordability checks for a flat in our budget, however in September I’ll be going back to uni to complete my masters in architecture and I feel like this will cause us some issues? I’ve been sponsored by my company so will have a monthly income but not enough to pass affordability checks - if my boyfriend earns enough for his half of the rent and I have a guarantor for mine and proof of sponsorship/student loan would that be enough to get accepted on a flat? Thanks in advance! Xx
Hi,

Usually this really depends on the landlord/agency renting out the property so definitely worth speaking to them about it. Sometimes they are completely fine if you have guarantors but if it is not a property aimed at students they may have stricter rules.

Another thing to consider is the council tax situation. As you will be a full-time student you won't need to pay council tax but your boyfriend still will. This webpage mentions that the tax will be reduced to 75% of the total when only one person in the house is paying, but this might be another thing affecting budgets: https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/housing/council-tax/student-housing-council-tax/

Hope this helps and good luck!

Abbie
University of Southampton, Postgraduate Ambassador
Reply 2
Original post by UoS PG students
Hi,

Usually this really depends on the landlord/agency renting out the property so definitely worth speaking to them about it. Sometimes they are completely fine if you have guarantors but if it is not a property aimed at students they may have stricter rules.

Another thing to consider is the council tax situation. As you will be a full-time student you won't need to pay council tax but your boyfriend still will. This webpage mentions that the tax will be reduced to 75% of the total when only one person in the house is paying, but this might be another thing affecting budgets: https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/housing/council-tax/student-housing-council-tax/

Hope this helps and good luck!

Abbie
University of Southampton, Postgraduate Ambassador

That's really helpful, thanks for your advice!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending