The Student Room Group

You’re not gonna become become a doctor

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TUGBA_AYDIN1
That’s why I’m resitting, I’m going to include my circumstances in the UCAS application I do :smile:

Then they'll accept your resits.

It's worth noting that it's still unwise to apply to GCSE heavy schools, even with 7 in Maths and English.

If you get those, then Lancaster, BSMS are also ones that will assess you on BMAT after you meet the sole requirement of having B grades in english and maths
I feel that they look down on me because I got U at first, I’m just going it ignore them and work hard and show them.

Put your energy into your studies. Use it to motivate you.
Original post by Kyber Ninja
Then they'll accept your resits.

It's worth noting that it's still unwise to apply to GCSE heavy schools, even with 7 in Maths and English.

If you get those, then Lancaster, BSMS are also ones that will assess you on BMAT after you meet the sole requirement of having B grades in english and maths

I’m aware Cambridge and UCL aren’t as heavy on them??
Original post by 999tigger
Put your energy into your studies. Use it to motivate you.

That’s what I’m going to do. Prove them wrong , right?
That’s what I’m going to do. Prove them wrong , right?

Then you can show them when you get in.

Cambridge no, you'll probably get invited to interview if you have the predicted grades tbh.

If you don't get high BMAT scores, UCL will reject you. With UCL, you can have one weak aspect to your application (apart from predicted grades because that NEEDS to be A*AA at least), but if you have two, you'll probably be rejected. This is for interview btw. I've seen a lot of people with low 4s in the BMAT get offers from UCL, but they had all A* at GCSE and the other aspects of their app were great.

So if you think you can make your app great everywhere else, UCL is a good choice too
Reply 26

Sorry I’m not sure where you got the impression that Cambridge aren’t heavy on GCSEs. They definitely do look at GCSEs to make sure you can cope with how science intensive the course is. Not to mention the majority of applicants have all A’s or A*s at GCSEs.
Original post by T2A
Sorry I’m not sure where you got the impression that Cambridge aren’t heavy on GCSEs. They definitely do look at GCSEs to make sure you can cope with how science intensive the course is. Not to mention the majority of applicants have all A’s or A*s at GCSEs.

I’ve emailed them and they said even tho there is no gcse requirment, most students applying have 4/5 A/A*,

I didn’t said they don’t look at them but I heard they find your UKCAT score and predicted grades with your personal statement work experience etc can overpower your stellar GCSE’s.
Prove him wrong.
Original post by T2A

Correlation causation
Correlation causation

Do you think just getting the best possible for everything else is just the way to go instead of lurking on the past?
Do you think just getting the best possible for everything else is just the way to go instead of lurking on the past?

I think getting at least 6 in Maths and English GCSE is important.

But after that, yeah
I think getting at least 6 in Maths and English GCSE is important.

But after that, yeah

I’ll mKe sure I achieve at least that and bring my prediction grades up to A*AA and score high in my UCAS and do a lot of exprience in hospitals, I currently work at an opticians too so i don’t know if that will relate but I’m also doing an EPQ and taking a A level foreign language too.
I’ll mKe sure I achieve at least that and bring my prediction grades up to A*AA and score high in my UCAS and do a lot of exprience in hospitals, I currently work at an opticians too so i don’t know if that will relate but I’m also doing an EPQ and taking a A level foreign language too.

You'll need A*A*A predicted for Cambridge.

Try and fit in care home, tutoring and working with vulnerable children too
Reply 34
you’re not gonna become a doctor”

Lucky for you, you dictate your own life! :smile:
You'll need A*A*A predicted for Cambridge.

Try and fit in care home, tutoring and working with vulnerable children too

Okay, I will approach some places for volunteering.
Original post by Volibear
The UKCAT? For Cambridge?

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

BMAT, I’m taking both.
Reply 37
I’ve emailed them and they said even tho there is no gcse requirment, most students applying have 4/5 A/A*,

I didn’t said they don’t look at them but I heard they find your UKCAT score and predicted grades with your personal statement work experience etc can overpower your stellar GCSE’s.

They definitely cant see your UKCAT score and even if they did it still doesn’t show your ability to handle the science side of things. Oxbridge courses are very science intensive and in the first few years you’ll find yourself doing roughly 3 essays a week. So oxbridge put a lot more importance on academic potential than other unis for med. Especially with the new a levels where you no longer do exams at the end of the first year, all the unis know that predictions will be inflated for most students meaning your A*A*A prediction won’t be worth a hell of a lot ( not to mention that’s what they ask you for anyway). You might be able to show some potential through your section 2 bmat but the B’s for gcse science will weigh you down. TBH most students do EPQs now and get A*s so that won’t make you stand out either. Honestly it sounds like you have a lot of work to do to get into medicine itself, I wouldn’t concentrate on Cambridge... it’s overhyped anyway
Reply 38
You should checkout the website whatdotheyknow.com. It’s a freedom of information requesting site and you can see the gcse and bmat stats of the applicants a few years back and you can also see the outcome of their application as well.
My teacher told me not to apply to the Courtauld Institute or St Andrews because they're quite "high calibre" and I probably wouldn't get accepted. She also told me that "I'd be lucky to get all my offers". Here I am now, holding offers from Glasgow, Edinburgh, Birmingham, the Courtauld AND St Andrews. Teachers can be wrong. If you work really hard now, you absolutely CAN get into medicine. Even if you don't get into any of the most prestigious medicine schools e.g. Oxbridge, Glasgow etc. you could easily just go for Southampton or sth as its a bit less competitive. You MISS all of the shots that you don't make. Work your ass off, apply for medicine. If somehow you don't get in you can always go for biological sciences or something medicine related. Good luck!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending