The Student Room Group

DFID Talent Programme 2018

It's been a while since I frequented these forums, it's good to be back!

Starting a thread on the DFID Entry Talent Programme 2018 as I noticed fellow applicants have been posting on last year's 2017 thread.

Would be great to get a discussion going!

The deadline for this was midnight last night.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Closing date extended to 4th March! Which I'm grateful for--these competencies are a little effort!
Reply 2
Original post by apricot5
It's been a while since I frequented these forums, it's good to be back!

Starting a thread on the DFID Entry Talent Programme 2018 as I noticed fellow applicants have been posting on last year's 2017 thread.

Would be great to get a discussion going!

The deadline for this was midnight last night.

P.S quick question: how many skills did you outline in the relevant section?
Original post by IIXIXV

I did 20 skills.

Does anyone know when we hear back about the status of our applications? I remember that AC's start in mid-April so shouldn't be too long a wait. But did they say when we can expect to hear back? Thanks.
Reply 4
Original post by oneironaut
I did 20 skills.

Does anyone know when we hear back about the status of our applications? I remember that AC's start in mid-April so shouldn't be too long a wait. But did they say when we can expect to hear back? Thanks.

You discussed TWENTY skills that you have!? Wow, that's impressive! I think I'd struggle to name 20 skills tbh
Reply 5
Original post by IIXIXV

I outlined 7, nowhere near 20! How many did you outline?

Asides from the tests, this application process is a lot more straightforward than applying for the civil service used to be. I hope they succeed in, and are seriously committed to, diversifying their workforce. Especially when it comes to leadership.
Reply 6
I outlined 7, nowhere near 20! How many did you outline?

Asides from the tests, this application process is a lot more straightforward than applying for the civil service used to be. I hope they succeed in, and are seriously committed to, diversifying their workforce. Especially when it comes to leadership.

Defo not that many for sure! I've not actually finished my application off yet, but I've got 9 in mind, 3 for each of those "you will be able to demonstrate how.." bullet points!

Yes for sure! Especially considering the field of work and those who are supported by DFID programmes!
Reply 7
How did you all get on with the online assessments? I'm very surprised at my verbal reasoning score being lower than I expected and my numerical score being higher than expected!
Original post by skinni
How did you all get on with the online assessments? I'm very surprised at my verbal reasoning score being lower than I expected and my numerical score being higher than expected!

I did well overall, situational judgment was my strongest and the numerical test was my weakest, but I still passed - I don’t think that’s as important as the others anyway (or at least that’s what I’m telling myself!)
Reply 9
I did well overall, situational judgment was my strongest and the numerical test was my weakest, but I still passed - I don’t think that’s as important as the others anyway (or at least that’s what I’m telling myself!)

Well done! I assume that the situational judgment is the most important one (surely?). I got on a decent percentile for that but as it says it's based on previous results so I wonder where I would place in comparison to this year's applicants.

I just can't wait to see my score on the competency questions :eek: if I progress that far...
Original post by skinni
Well done! I assume that the situational judgment is the most important one (surely?). I got on a decent percentile for that but as it says it's based on previous results so I wonder where I would place in comparison to this year's applicants.

I just can't wait to see my score on the competency questions :eek: if I progress that far...

Thank you! Well done to you too for getting yours done.

I would think situational judgment is the most important too as you couldn’t progress onto the others until that one was done. I think that was a bit unfair really for anyone who took the time to apply, only to later fail the tests - would have made more sense to do the tests first I think.

Good luck with the rest of it!
Reply 11
Situational judgement was my strongest also.

For any veteran Civil Service Fast Stream/Fast Track/Direct Appointment/Graduate Development etc. applicants, when can we expect to hear the results of our competencies, bearing in mind the ACs are happening approx. late March/April??
Situational judgement was my strongest also.

For any veteran Civil Service Fast Stream/Fast Track/Direct Appointment/Graduate Development etc. applicants, when can we expect to hear the results of our competencies, bearing in mind the ACs are happening approx. late March/April??

We’ll all hear back within the next few weeks. I wouldn’t think that people in that category would hear back any sooner tbh as they’ll be taking AC’s with everyone else.

Have you already completed the civil service fast stream? If you don’t mind me asking, why are you applying to another similar programme if you’ve already done that?

Edit: oh sorry I misunderstood you. You mean as you’ve already taken the online tests... Well same again, I would think we’d all hear around the same time for this application.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 13
We’ll all hear back within the next few weeks. I wouldn’t think that people in that category would hear back any sooner tbh as they’ll be taking AC’s with everyone else.

Have you already completed the civil service fast stream? If you don’t mind me asking, why are you applying to another similar programme if you’ve already done that?

I am not on the fast stream. I was wondering if anyone who had previously applied to a similar scheme would have a better idea of when approximately applicants receive feedback.

Tbh though, I'm happy to have passed the tests as it was a pain to do them - there were so many technical issues!
I am not on the fast stream. I was wondering if anyone who had previously applied to a similar scheme would have a better idea of when approximately applicants receive feedback.

Tbh though, I'm happy to have passed the tests as it was a pain to do them - there were so many technical issues!

Well done on passing the tests! Yes the technical issues were a ‘mare.

I haven’t applied for the fast stream but last year I applied for the NGDP. The application process for the DFID scheme is MUCH quicker and with fewer steps, I think it is a lot quicker than the fast stream process too. So I don’t think you can compare the processes! As AC’s are in March/April, we won’t be waiting that long anyway which is a relief.

Does anyone know how many applicants there usually are for this programme? I know for NGDP there are usually 2,500. I would think it’s much fewer for this but would be great if someone can confirm.
any idea what a good score would be for situational judgement and verbal reasoning? Are we talking 70+%?
Reply 16
Hi all, I only found out about this scheme lastnight and am trying to get in a last minute application. I have done the majority of the application form including the competencies, but I'm struggling with the skills section, as all I can find online is a general description of the scheme, and nothing about the specific skills needed beyond the 4 major competencies. Can anyone point me in the right direction of a more detailed job profile that details the skills DFID require? Thanks and good luck everyone :smile:
Original post by ba2018
Hi all, I only found out about this scheme lastnight and am trying to get in a last minute application. I have done the majority of the application form including the competencies, but I'm struggling with the skills section, as all I can find online is a general description of the scheme, and nothing about the specific skills needed beyond the 4 major competencies. Can anyone point me in the right direction of a more detailed job profile that details the skills DFID require? Thanks and good luck everyone :smile:

It doesn’t say what specific skills are needed - we have to do our own research and have a think about what skills we have that will be useful in the position. If you’re stuck, have a search on what skills are generally required in similar roles in the sector. Best of luck.
Did you guys get immediately/automatically sent the tests? I've put in a last minute application and am not getting the tests, looks like I'll miss the deadline. I did mention adjustments though which may have put it on hold
Original post by Krayson savo
Did you guys get immediately/automatically sent the tests? I've put in a last minute application and am not getting the tests, looks like I'll miss the deadline. I did mention adjustments though which may have put it on hold

I didn’t get sent mine straight away either (it came through a few days later) and I think it was because I said I needed adjustments too! Hope you get it sorted.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending