The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
:yep: Went into medical with an interest in Psychology, and had Psychology as a back-up if I didn't get in.

All through medical school I maintained my interest in Psychiatry through conversations with doctors at various levels, conferences, events, extracurricular placements, elective etc.

Now as an FY1 I have had a chance to shadow both consultants and junior doctors in Psychiatry to get an idea of what it's like at different levels of the hierarchy. My interest in a career in Psychiatry is as strong as ever, and has never really wavered since I started medical school. I did ( and still do) try to keep an open mind with other specialities, and there are some which I do find interesting, but I always fall back to Psych.

So it is possible!
Original post by Nottie

That's not true. Most parents are terrified by having kids in hospital and if you don't sit them down and explain what is going on, no wonder they won't want to cooperate. It's all about communication. If you're **** at that, the parents will be a nightmare for you.

Those parents aren't what scares me off paediatrics.

It's the parents who you wouldn't trust with a chinchilla let alone an actual child.
Reply 22
Original post by paniking_and_not_revising
Those parents aren't what scares me off paediatrics.

It's the parents who you wouldn't trust with a chinchilla let alone an actual child.

Ahh yeah that type. Haven't really met much of them in paediatrics, but I've met few pregnant women that are straight crazy
rickyrossman
Obgyn looks like a difficult speciality. But I always wonder if there will be some women who won't want to see a male gynaecologist. Thats what mainly puts me off it.

At the junior trainee level yes and that can be very frustrating for someone actually trying to take an interest in the speciality. Generally though if you're going to be sorting out their problems i.e. actually doing their surgery or delivering their baby then they don't mind. I've never seen someone refuse to see a male registrar, let alone consultant.
Original post by Nottie
Ahh yeah that type. Haven't really met much of them in paediatrics...

I suspect if you look a bit closer you will see it. The scariest for me are when the 4/5 year old kid says "I want x". Mother: "No you can't have x" "Give me x now" *physically attacks mother* "Oh ok you can have x". Literally teaching your kid from the age of 4 that violence is how to get what you want. And that kind of thing is not a one off - so many mothers reward their kid if they behave badly including violently.

I think the stigma associated with asking for help as a parent is one of the greatest tragedies of our society. Parenting classes, even if they are simply 'reward your kid for good things, punish them for bad, NOT THE OPPOSITE' on repeat for an hour, should be offered on the NHS,
Original post by Nottie
Ahh yeah that type. Haven't really met much of them in paediatrics...

I suspect if you look a bit closer you will see it. The scariest for me are when the 4/5 year old kid says "I want x". Mother: "No you can't have x" "Give me x now" *physically attacks mother* "Oh ok you can have x". Literally teaching your kid from the age of 4 that violence is how to get what you want. And that kind of thing is not a one off - so many mothers reward their kid if they behave badly including violently.

I think the stigma associated with asking for help as a parent is one of the greatest tragedies of our society. Parenting classes, even if they are simply 'reward your kid for good things, punish them for bad, NOT THE OPPOSITE' on repeat for an hour, should be offered on the NHS,
Reply 26
Original post by nexttime

Aren't the "123 Magic" courses for ADHD and other autism related parenting courses offered on NHS? I've never really looked into it, but I assumed that if it's part of the management plan then it would be available for free...
Original post by nexttime

this is my personal favourite I once overheard

*child with a raging fever*
parent: the fever won't go down.
dr: did you give calpol?
parent: no
dr: why not?
parent: didn't know what to do
Original post by Blazingphoenix
I started chasing medicine wanting to go into pathology because I watched too much CSI

Did some work experience and added GP and A&E to my interests.

Went into med school. At the moment put off by pathology (so interesting, but I nearly threw up because of the smell :sick: so I'll need to build a better stomach for it) and psych (I just don't know how I'll deal because I keep thinking I have symptoms while I'm being taught them), still interested by GP and A&E, added urology, anaesthetics and radiology to interests.

But I'm only first year, so we'll see what happens.

If you do want to find out more about pathology, then sign up to this: https://www.pathsoc.org/index.php/meetings/event-calendar/icalrepeat.detail/2018/04/05/130/-/undergraduate-pathology-summer-school-2018

It's free to attend, including a hotel stay for the night and drinks + dinner for the night (also breakfast and lunch etc). Just need to pay for train tickets!
Reply 29
My idea of what I wanted to do changed over time. I imagined paediatrics for a long time, until I actually did the placement in med school. And though it was a really great placement, I just don't think I have the disposition to handle it long term. Then I thought respiratory, or GP or A&E. One by one I've had to rule out a specialty. But I've come to a point more than half way through FY2 where I don't even think I'll choose one. I'm taking a break so I'm glad I don't have to make a decision yet.

Some people drop out of the womb screaming surgeon! But it's ok if you don't know now. Doing placements in medical school and through foundation years will give you a better sense of direction. Just make sure to use an opportunity in each placement to get as much experience as you can. Unfortunately sometimes it's the people that put you off a certain specialty rather than the actual specialty so be wary of that.

And it's true sometimes you have to base your decisions based on the type of lifestyle you want to have. I like some parts of A&E but the shifts are brutal!
Original post by MedicZd
My idea of what I wanted to do changed over time. I imagined paediatrics for a long time, until I actually did the placement in med school. And though it was a really great placement, I just don't think I have the disposition to handle it long term. Then I thought respiratory, or GP or A&E. One by one I've had to rule out a specialty. But I've come to a point more than half way through FY2 where I don't even think I'll choose one. I'm taking a break so I'm glad I don't have to make a decision yet.

Some people drop out of the womb screaming surgeon! But it's ok if you don't know now. Doing placements in medical school and through foundation years will give you a better sense of direction. Just make sure to use an opportunity in each placement to get as much experience as you can. Unfortunately sometimes it's the people that put you off a certain specialty rather than the actual specialty so be wary of that.

And it's true sometimes you have to base your decisions based on the type of lifestyle you want to have. I like some parts of A&E but the shifts are brutal!

How do they work? Do you do a set of days and then a set of nights or like one day, a night, a late, early, day...?
Reply 31
How do they work? Do you do a set of days and then a set of nights or like one day, a night, a late, early, day...?

I think it is all hospital dependent. At my trust we have a 10+ week timetable with a different range of shifts. I start on whatever week (I happened to start on 2) and then follow it through.

There's a different combination of shifts: early morning, midday and afternoon shifts and then there's nights. similar shifts are usually banded together in 4's (but not always). I might get 4 early morning shifts Monday to Thursday. Have Friday off, then have 2 afternoon shifts Saturday and Sunday.
Each week is a different combination, so you have to CHECK the rota all the time.

Nights are either Monday to Thursday or Friday to Sunday.

I hope that makes sense

A&E and paeds are notorious for terrible rotas, with rapid cycling earlies, days lates, nights. Normally there is an underlying structure based on blocks of 3 or 4, but it can get complicated and sometimes you're doing 1 day of something next day something else, and the combined jetlag and fatigue means that you are really working far longer than the supposed 48 maximum! Its also provably bad for your health, somewhat ironically!

Escaping that has become a key priority for my future career, especially since they cut the wages for out of hours and increased them for in-hours!
Original post by HateOCR
The reason i said this is because when young adults, adults and the elderly are sick and are in need of care they co-operate better than young children do. I think children will just make the job harder. Im not a doctor yet btw just posting my opinion now but i might come back at this thread in a few years time and laugh at this comment in between my job breaks as a paediatrician 😂

No you won't - I'm in third year now and I am going NOWHERE NEAR Paediatrics

Latest

Trending

Trending