The Student Room Group

Work experience

Basically I took a gap year and wanted get some work in an engineering company for at least a couple of weeks before uni, what’s my best way of getting in is it
Applying or emailing online
Or
Going to the the actual company and telling them I would like to get some work experience there and hand in my cv with contact details and even go as far saying i can help around for free just need some time in a engineering workplace
Cheers
Original post by grapeape
Basically I took a gap year and wanted get some work in an engineering company for at least a couple of weeks before uni, what’s my best way of getting in is it
Applying or emailing online
Or
Going to the the actual company and telling them I would like to get some work experience there and hand in my cv with contact details and even go as far saying i can help around for free just need some time in a engineering workplace
Cheers

It depends if you're applying for a formal placement (as in they'll run the placement anyway, but it's potentially competitive to get a place). If you're doing that you should apply using whatever method they're asking for (there often will be an online application, but other methods are also used).
If you've just found a company and want to get work experience from them then the best way would be to go to the actual company, hand in CV/contact details etc. and then follow up with an email so that they know you're serious about it and also so they actually remember to get back to you!
Good luck!
Reply 2
He’s should I write in the follow up and also who would I speak to if went to the company
Reply 3
*what should I write in the follow up email and who should I talk to when I go to the company?HR?
Original post by grapeape
*what should I write in the follow up email and who should I talk to when I go to the company?HR?

HR sounds sensible to me :smile: I don't know much about engineering companies though so not sure if there would be anyone better placed tbh
If local pop in and have a chat. otherwise phone, a lot of times e-mails go to the wrong person or ignored. Good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending