The Student Room Group

Student subjected to racist abuse at Nottingham Trent University

It's really shocking to see this thuggish behaviour happening at a university. There was a time university was the reserve of the refined. What's happening to this society?

https://twitter.com/BBCBreaking/status/971709372282884097

Scroll to see replies

Sad that it took a twitter storm for it to be taken seriously :nope:
We are shocked and appalled by this video. This vile behaviour will not be tolerated at NTU. We value being a diverse global community, with staff and students from across the world.

We are in regular contact with our student who made the complaint and are providing support.

The suspected perpetrators have been suspended immediately and we have begun an investigation. We are also cooperating fully with the police, who have launched a criminal investigation and have made arrests.

It’s clear that there have been delays in dealing with this incident, and that is completely unacceptable. We will work with our accommodation partner to review our processes to ensure this never happens again.
Original post by Nottingham Trent University
We are shocked and appalled by this video. This vile behaviour will not be tolerated at NTU. We value being a diverse global community, with staff and students from across the world.

We are in regular contact with our student who made the complaint and are providing support.

The suspected perpetrators have been suspended immediately and we have begun an investigation. We are also cooperating fully with the police, who have launched a criminal investigation and have made arrests.

It’s clear that there have been delays in dealing with this incident, and that is completely unacceptable. We will work with our accommodation partner to review our processes to ensure this never happens again.

Do you think NTU will review their relationship with UPP following this?

Do you think the delay and lack of response wouldn't have happened in a university-managed hall of residence?

Well done on suspending them, I hope you have the courage of your convictions to expel them entirely... This isn't 'slap on the wrist' behaviour.
Reply 5

X.

Original post by Johnathan94
Well done on suspending them, I hope you have the courage of your convictions to expel them entirely... This isn't 'slap on the wrist' behaviour.

Exactly.
Reply 6
Plausible analysis.
I have to say, particularly on twitter, a lot of the stick seems to be going to NTU for things where UPP was at fault. Not to say NTU was perfect though and they definitely need to reconsider their relationship with UPP because I do not believe it is in the best interests of student welfare, not just based on this incident
This appears to be yet another case where someone reported a crime to the wrong people. Why tell the university who do nothing for hours when the police service is right place to make the report (and who treat hate crime as a priority), preferably while the crime is still being committed?
Original post by Fruli
Plausible analysis.

Although I appreciate it was not your intent, to frame it like this implies that the presence of BME students somehow causes racist violence. The real causes lie elsewhere, in the politics and ideology of of racial divisiveness and supremacy. If they couldn't find a Black person to terrorise, it would be a someone with an odd accent, or red hair - anyone "other" on whom to project their rage and social alienation.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 10
Original post by chelseadagg3r
I have to say, particularly on twitter, a lot of the stick seems to be going to NTU for things where UPP was at fault. Not to say NTU was perfect though and they definitely need to reconsider their relationship with UPP because I do not believe it is in the best interests of student welfare, not just based on this incident

To me speaks to a wider issue around the calibre of people entering university these days.

As someone already mentioned, people are entering university with DDD these days. That speaks a lot.

A degree these days is not even worth the paper it’s not on. Recruiters talk about poor quality hires when it comes to graduates. Then we wonder why graduates struggle to get good jobs upon graduating.

Letting all and sundry into university is devaluing university honours.

It’s interesting how the racist thugs always come from these lower ranked universities. The former UKIP member who said horrible things about Meghan Markle and black people happened to have attended Canterbury Christ Church University. There’s an interesting trend.
Original post by Good bloke
This appears to be yet another case where someone reported a crime to the wrong people. Why tell the university who do nothing for hours when the police service is right place to make the report (and who treat hate crime as a priority), preferably while the crime is still being committed?

They told residence staff, UPP, iirc who are supposed to deal with things of this severity immediately and help get the student to the right people, including the police
Reply 12
Original post by OxFossil
Although I appreciate it was not your intent, to frame it like this implies that the presence of BME students somehow causes racist violence. The real causes lie elsewhere, in the politics and ideology of of racial divisiveness and supremacy.

Very true.

Yes I doubt that was his intent.

But thanks for pointing this out.

The woman concerned didn't tell the university - she told her hall reception/security team who did nothing. It was only after a couple of days of nothing happening that she went public (and helpfully a number of people advised her then to call 101 to report it - including the local police on twitter).

You would hope that hall reception/security staff would know to redirect a student instead of just brushing it off and doing nothing for days.
http://www.upp-ltd.com/ have been very quiet about their involvement in this - considering they sell themselves as "Our partnerships are about creating safe and secure homes and learning environments designed to help students succeed." (http://www.upp-ltd.com/students-and-parents.php ) and boast about how great their staff are.
(edited 6 years ago)
Gutted for this girl having to experience that. Sounds like there was a witness in the hall confronting the racists, so hopefully it'll be a straightforward expulsion plus criminal record for them.
Reply 15

If everyone followed the same thinking process as you, I wonder if the world would be a better place 🤔.

I’m glad that she reported this to the resident management services and took things further when she’s saw that nothing was being done about it.

I’m also glad the police are now involved and are dealing with the matter, despite being very stretched. I wonder if the viral nature of this has anything to do with their swift reaction.

I’ve seen people who have reported racially motivated crimes, wait at least 4 months to get any meaningful outcome, even an arrest.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Fruli
To me speaks to a wider issue around the calibre of people entering university these days.

As someone already mentioned, people are entering university with DDD these days. That speaks a lot.

A degree these days is not even worth the paper it’s not on. Recruiters talk about poor quality hires when it comes to graduates. Then we wonder why graduates struggle to get good jobs upon graduating.

It’s interesting how the racist thugs always come from these lower ranked universities. The former UKIP member who said horrible things about Meghan Markle and black people happened to have attended Canterbury Christ Church University. There’s an interesting trend.

1. Not really as people have been able to get in with DDD for years. Ay the moment all we know is this is one isolated incident. Considering hundreds of thousands of students pass through uni then its unsurprising some of them are racists..

2. A degree is not worth the paper it is written on? Plenty of people get ood jobs off the back of degrees.

3. Interesting how you see it as a class thing. You dont think racism or bad behaviour exists at upper class universities?
Original post by Fruli

Racism happens at top universities aswell. If you think academic people can't be racist... well... I don't know what to say
Reply 18
Original post by rickyrossman
Racism happens at top universities aswell. If you think academic people can't be racist... well... I don't know what to say

Yes, that’s very true.

I’ve come across racists academics, especially in the area of psychology and have read research by racist academics.

I think the middle class are better at hiding their prejudice.

This is commendable on your part to give such a direct response to our community and truly it is appreciated in such circumstances. Excellent initiative here!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending