The Student Room Group

Edexcel AS Further Maths (New Spec) - Mechanics Discussion

Scroll to see replies

Original post by RickHendricks
what's your opinion on the lowest bound mark for this question i'll get? Like atleast some amount of marks?

I went wrong because I equated the time it took for P to reach X, but didn't realize that it travels some distance between reaching X, meaning the distance was no longer d-x. Kinda stupid for me to not notice that, since I actually worked out the time traveled by P, but never used it.

FM2 integration was weird. Left out the 7 marker :mwuaha:

But... i clocked the method walking home from school...

what about the K value for the mass in the lamina, and the angle

i got the angle as 70 something

i dont remember K but it was a decimal
Original post by RickHendricks
what's your opinion on the lowest bound mark for this question i'll get? Like atleast some amount of marks?

I went wrong because I equated the time it took for P to reach X, but didn't realize that it travels some distance between reaching X, meaning the distance was no longer d-x. Kinda stupid for me to not notice that, since I actually worked out the time traveled by P, but never used it.

FM2 integration was weird. Left out the 7 marker :mwuaha:

But... i clocked the method walking home from school...

Maybe 2 at the lowest? It's hard to tell with no mark scheme tbh
Ahh right I see now, that's so annoying! Yeah you'll definitely get something for that :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
btw, would you recommend having a tutor for further maths or is there no need really in your opinion?
Original post by ninja_uchiha
btw, would you recommend having a tutor for further maths or is there no need really in your opinion?

I hold the belief that if you need a tutor for a subject, then maybe the subject wasn't for you to begin with. But if you really have no choice (ie. you can't drop/change your subjects), then you will need a tutor. I don't think there's a need but I also think if you feel you need one, then you're going to get one.

For FM, specifically, I don't know. It's definitely hard but still accessible and it's only the A2 calculus on FM2 that really requires a bit more work for people taking it at AS.
Original post by nyxnko_
I hold the belief that if you need a tutor for a subject, then maybe the subject wasn't for you to begin with. But if you really have no choice (ie. you can't drop/change your subjects), then you will need a tutor. I don't think there's a need but I also think if you feel you need one, then you're going to get one.

For FM, specifically, I don't know. It's definitely hard but still accessible and it's only the A2 calculus on FM2 that really requires a bit more work for people taking it at AS.

okay thanks, aslong as you put in the effort do you think one could achieve an A* for a level maths .

ps. i normally am faster at maths than my peers and tend to get high grades in maths but thats at GCSE so was asking
okay thanks, aslong as you put in the effort do you think one could achieve an A* for a level maths .

ps. i normally am faster at maths than my peers and tend to get high grades in maths but thats at GCSE so was asking

Maths is a different story to FM but yes, I do think it's possible.
Good luck with your GCSEs!!
Original post by nyxnko_
Maths is a different story to FM but yes, I do think it's possible.
Good luck with your GCSEs!!

thanks i'm just looking forward to the holidays tho lol. but do you get an induction booklet for FM, if you did what was in it, is it just consolidating ur GCSE maths?
thanks i'm just looking forward to the holidays tho lol. but do you get an induction booklet for FM, if you did what was in it, is it just consolidating ur GCSE maths?

No, I didn't get an induction booklet although I did get one for Maths. It was just algebra and fractions and the worst part was they didn't even check it. They just gave us a 'baseline assessment' and that was it.
Original post by nyxnko_
No, I didn't get an induction booklet although I did get one for Maths. It was just algebra and fractions and the worst part was they didn't even check it. They just gave us a 'baseline assessment' and that was it.

wow rip, that'll probably happen to me to as my school doesn't check that much. I'm afraid i wont have any friends if i do further maths which i will be doing, do you have any tips on making friends in a level classes because i'm highly antisocial/outcast to society lol.

oh yh and i wear a trenchcoat that's probably why lol
wow rip, that'll probably happen to me to as my school doesn't check that much. I'm afraid i wont have any friends if i do further maths which i will be doing, do you have any tips on making friends in a level classes because i'm highly antisocial/outcast to society lol.

oh yh and i wear a trenchcoat that's probably why lol

:laugh: it'll probably happen in all schools everywhere.. :tongue:
Ermm... I don't really know. I have 2 classes where I wasn't particularly close to anyone and I'm still not particularly close to anyone in one of them (and the other had someone who was kinda in my friend group) so yeah :dontknow:
For FM, I wouldn't worry too much about the friend situation. Sure, it's nice to have bants but it's not really the point of an FM class. In fact, I think it's better if there's not really that many people that you're close to. As long as you get along with them, there really shouldn't be a problem. Just try not to appear closed off. Ask them questions if you're stuck and help others if they ask you for help.
You wear a trenchcoat!! OMG I'm so jealous!! I've always wanted one!!
Original post by nyxnko_
:laugh: it'll probably happen in all schools everywhere.. :tongue:
Ermm... I don't really know. I have 2 classes where I wasn't particularly close to anyone and I'm still not particularly close to anyone in one of them (and the other had someone who was kinda in my friend group) so yeah :dontknow:
For FM, I wouldn't worry too much about the friend situation. Sure, it's nice to have bants but it's not really the point of an FM class. In fact, I think it's better if there's not really that many people that you're close to. As long as you get along with them, there really shouldn't be a problem. Just try not to appear closed off. Ask them questions if you're stuck and help others if they ask you for help.
You wear a trenchcoat!! OMG I'm so jealous!! I've always wanted one!!

yh okay thanks for that.. i'm not that keen on making friends anyway so that's good. tbh, i just wanna get in there and learn and then go home, then done. btw, do you still have free time when your doing twice as much maths?
yh okay thanks for that.. i'm not that keen on making friends anyway so that's good. tbh, i just wanna get in there and learn and then go home, then done. btw, do you still have free time when your doing twice as much maths?

I'm not really that social to begin with but yes, I do have free time. I tend to spend more time having 'free time' than actually working :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending