The Student Room Group

My college didn't let me do A-Level French. What can I do??

So I've had a huge passion for languages for quite a long time and I definitely want to do French combined with another language at either Manchester, York or Edinburgh. I chose it, but not enough people chose it so my school had to drop it, which has stressed me out A LOT.
I'm currently doing A-Levels in Maths, English Literature and Business Studies. I've been learning French and Spanish independently and I have an A* in French GCSE.
My question is: is there ANY way I can get an A-Level in French or something equivalent (I've heard about this called DELF, maybe that would help?), could I take a gap year and get a qualification? Anything else i could do like an interview or placement test? Does anyone else have the same problem as me with one of their subjects???
Thanks for answering!
Reply 1
Original post by SamuelSLH
So I've had a huge passion for languages for quite a long time and I definitely want to do French combined with another language at either Manchester, York or Edinburgh. I chose it, but not enough people chose it so my school had to drop it, which has stressed me out A LOT.
I'm currently doing A-Levels in Maths, English Literature and Business Studies. I've been learning French and Spanish independently and I have an A* in French GCSE.
My question is: is there ANY way I can get an A-Level in French or something equivalent (I've heard about this called DELF, maybe that would help?), could I take a gap year and get a qualification? Anything else i could do like an interview or placement test? Does anyone else have the same problem as me with one of their subjects???
Thanks for answering!

Hi Samuel,

Sorry to hear your school has not been able to let you go forward with French at A-level.

The DELF exam you mention is the French equivalent of English tests like IELTS or Cambridge, so it is for non-native speakers of French and tests you to confirm what level you are at on the European reference framework for languages (see: http://gostudylink.net/en/support/levels).

It would be worth checking with your universities if they would accept this qualification and what level they would require.

There are lots of centres in the UK where you can take this exam. See the list of approved centres using the link on the CIEP website here: http://www.ciep.fr/en/delf-tout-public (CIEP is the French equivalent of the British Council).

You may not need to take a gap year to get a qualification. You might like to check out courses in France run by the Alliance Française, which is another official organisation. Link here: http://www.alliancesfrancaisesdefrance.org/
They offer a range of different courses, some of them actually as preparation for the DELF exams. Each branch is run somewhat independently so the exact offering ranges from branch to branch. At some you have to do a minimum of 2 or 4 weeks, while others give you the chance to do just a week. They can also arrange accommodation for you with a host family, which is a great way of boosting your command of the language.

I hope this helps.
Good luck. :smile:
Reply 2
Thank you very much this is very helpful :smile: I think I’m gonna take a gap year regardless, so i think im gonna look into the courses in France a bit more, that sounds interesting
Have you been learning the french and spanish a-level course independently? Could you ask your college if the could register you for the exam and for you to take it? All they'd need to do would be to sort out the speaking part of it?
Reply 4
Original post by AzureCeleste
Have you been learning the french and spanish a-level course independently? Could you ask your college if the could register you for the exam and for you to take it? All they'd need to do would be to sort out the speaking part of it?

Hmmmm... not the a level course, I’ve kinda just been casually learning it with apps, speaking to natives on Tandem, watching series, reading etc. I don’t see why I couldn’t do what you said though, thanks :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending