The Student Room Group

Poor GCSEs and wanting to do maths at Cambridge

My GCSE’s aren’t terrible but aren’t at the standard of other people I know applying to Cambridge. I got:
7 - English language
7 - English literature
A* - Maths
A - Additional maths (highest grade)
A* - Chemistry
A - Physics
A - Biology
A* - PE
A - Geography
C - German
I’m taking Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry and Physics at A-Level and am predicted A*, A*, A*, A respectively. I am also preparing for the STEP paper but am starting to think there’s no point if I’m just going to be rejected because of my GCSEs.
Original post by obradfield
My GCSE’s aren’t terrible but aren’t at the standard of other people I know applying to Cambridge. I got:
7 - English language
7 - English literature
A* - Maths
A* - Chemistry
A - Physics
A - Biology
A* - PE
A - Geography
C - German
I’m taking Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry and Physics at A-Level and am predicted A*, A*, A*, A respectively. I am also preparing for the STEP paper but am starting to think there’s no point if I’m just going to be rejected because of my GCSEs.

Which other unis have you applied to?
your grades are excellent. the German won't be an obstacle to getting into Cambridge.
Original post by tedgfbtebfetedfb
Which other unis have you applied to?

I’m still in year 1 of the A-Level but I’m looking into places like York and Bristol.
Original post by the bear
your grades are excellent. the German won't be an obstacle to getting into Cambridge.

I’m a bit sceptical as my brother got rejected by LSE because he got a B in german.
(Thanks btw)
Those GCSEs won't be of any hindrance. Your A-levels are far more important and it's looking like you're on track to exceeding their entrance requirements.
7 - English language
7 - English literature
A* - Maths
A* - Chemistry
A - Physics
A - Biology
A* - PE
A - Geography
C - German

you need to relax. my grade were crapper than yours. In general it was 1A* 2As 3Bs 4Cs 1D. And at alevel for maths: A, physics and chemistry: B, computing: C. I still have time to improve. Cambridge look at your A level grade not GCSE
Reply 7
7 - English language
7 - English literature
A* - Maths
A* - Chemistry
A - Physics
A - Biology
A* - PE
A - Geography
C - German

9 GCSEs at A*/A are not "poor". And Cambridge is not that interested in them anyway. You're fine.
Original post by Doonesbury
9 GCSEs at A*/A are not "poor". And Cambridge is not that interested in them anyway. You're fine.

Yes, I realise they are not “poor”. It’s just everyone else I know applying have at least 6 A*s and nothing below an A.
Reply 9
Yes, I realise they are not “poor”. It’s just everyone else I know applying have at least 6 A*s and nothing below an A.

Let me put it like this:
GCSEs =/= Offers

Correlation =/= Causation

:wink:
Not sure about Cambridge but you just might be able to slip in to Bishop Grosseteste
Similar gcse profile to me, even a C in language but I got in for natural sciences. For maths the only thing that matters is your mathematical ability.
Original post by username3254212
7 - English language
7 - English literature
A* - Maths
A* - Chemistry
A - Physics
A - Biology
A* - PE
A - Geography
C - German

Doesn't matter
Original post by username3254212

So why did you say that they are poor?
Original post by Bill Nye
So why did you say that they are poor?

Naturally means poor relative to Cambridge
Your GCSEs will not be a barrier to you studying maths at Cambridge. Just make sure you genuinely love maths and can demonstrate your ability and talent in the subject. High UMS will also help significantly.
Reply 16
Original post by matthewleechen
High UMS will also help significantly.

No UMS now... current Y12s are on the new spec.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Doonesbury
No UMS now... current Y12s are on the new spec.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah yes, I keep forgetting! In which case, the most important aspect will probably be demonstrating your ability in interviews/tests at interview, as well as doing well in STEP if you receive an offer.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending