Turn on thread page Beta
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    Vladimir Putin will lead Russia for another six years, after securing an expected victory in the presidential election.

A Russian state exit poll gave him 73.9% of the vote, easily defeating his closest competitor. The main opposition leader, Alexei Navalny, was barred from the race.

The scale of victory - which had been widely predicted - was a marked increase in his share of the vote from 2012, when he won 64% of votes. A state exit poll put the turnout at 63.7%, down on 2012.

Mr Putin's campaign had hoped for a large turnout, to give him the strongest possible mandate.

Video recordings from polling stations showed irregularities in a number of towns and cities across Russia. Several videos showed election officials stuffing boxes with ballot papers.

Early results showed that with just 21.3% of boxes counted, Mr Putin had almost 72% of the votes.

Exit polls, published as soon as voting ended, showed that Mr Putin's closest opponent, Pavel Grudinin, was only projected to win 11.2%.

Mr Navalny was excluded from the election because of an embezzlement conviction that he said was manufactured by the Kremlin.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-43452449

So you know, that formality is over with..colour us all shocked

ReputationRep:
    Not hard to win an election you've rigged with the help of the local police and the KSB.
    • Community Assistant
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    Another 6 years :nothing:

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    Name:  all your votes.jpg
Views: 22
Size:  25.8 KB

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mattchaamp)
    Not hard to win an election you've rigged with the help of the local police and the KSB.
    I assume you mean FSB?

And define rigged? It is a simple fact that for better or worse Putin is exceptionally popular in Russia, he would almost certainly have won without that dubious affair with Navalny.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CoolCavy)
    Another 6 years :nothing:
    :russia: :party2: :party: :woo::russia:

(Original post by Napp)
    I assume you mean FSB?

And define rigged? It is a simple fact that for better or worse Putin is exceptionally popular in Russia, he would almost certainly have won without that dubious affair with Navalny.
    Rigged - as in, if Putin hadn't manipulated events to ensure that his opposition was lead by a ridiculous figurehead that nobody in their right minds would elect, maybe the election wouldn't be between the lesser of two evils, which is no basis for a real democracy.

If you are forced to choose between a competent evil warmonger in the pockets of the oligarchs and corporations, and a **tarded billionaire with a rabid following who spouts abhorrent views, that isn't what I'd call a healthy democracy.

ReputationRep:
    Spoiler:
    Show

Putin is president. And Dante is a russian spy. I mean, ****!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AngeryPenguin)
    Rigged - as in, if Putin hadn't manipulated events to ensure that his opposition was lead by a ridiculous figurehead that nobody in their right minds would elect, maybe the election wouldn't be between the lesser of two evils, which is no basis for a real democracy.
    Maybe maybe not i'd still be incredibly surprised if navalny could have beaten Putin anyway.
    If you are forced to choose between a competent evil warmonger in the pockets of the oligarchs and corporations, and a **tarded billionaire with a rabid following who spouts abhorrent views, that isn't what I'd call a healthy democracy.
    Forgive me but you just described America more than Russia's democracy there...

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 20, 2018
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.