Russia's Vladimir Putin wins by big margin

Watch
MrDystopia
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Vladimir Putin will lead Russia for another six years, after securing an expected victory in the presidential election.

A Russian state exit poll gave him 73.9% of the vote, easily defeating his closest competitor. The main opposition leader, Alexei Navalny, was barred from the race.

The scale of victory - which had been widely predicted - was a marked increase in his share of the vote from 2012, when he won 64% of votes. A state exit poll put the turnout at 63.7%, down on 2012.

Mr Putin's campaign had hoped for a large turnout, to give him the strongest possible mandate.

Video recordings from polling stations showed irregularities in a number of towns and cities across Russia. Several videos showed election officials stuffing boxes with ballot papers.

Early results showed that with just 21.3% of boxes counted, Mr Putin had almost 72% of the votes.

Exit polls, published as soon as voting ended, showed that Mr Putin's closest opponent, Pavel Grudinin, was only projected to win 11.2%.

Mr Navalny was excluded from the election because of an embezzlement conviction that he said was manufactured by the Kremlin.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-43452449

So you know, that formality is over with..colour us all shocked
mattchaamp
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Not hard to win an election you've rigged with the help of the local police and the KSB.
CoolCavy
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Another 6 years :nothing:
Gofre
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Axiomasher
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Name:  all your votes.jpg
Views: 48
Size:  25.8 KB
Napp
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by mattchaamp)
Not hard to win an election you've rigged with the help of the local police and the KSB.
I assume you mean FSB?

And define rigged? It is a simple fact that for better or worse Putin is exceptionally popular in Russia, he would almost certainly have won without that dubious affair with Navalny.
Napp
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by CoolCavy)
Another 6 years :nothing:
:russia: :party2: :party: :woo::russia:
AngeryPenguin
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Napp)
I assume you mean FSB?

And define rigged? It is a simple fact that for better or worse Putin is exceptionally popular in Russia, he would almost certainly have won without that dubious affair with Navalny.
Rigged - as in, if Putin hadn't manipulated events to ensure that his opposition was lead by a ridiculous figurehead that nobody in their right minds would elect, maybe the election wouldn't be between the lesser of two evils, which is no basis for a real democracy.

If you are forced to choose between a competent evil warmonger in the pockets of the oligarchs and corporations, and a **tarded billionaire with a rabid following who spouts abhorrent views, that isn't what I'd call a healthy democracy.
Maidenhair
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Spoiler:
Show

Putin is president. And Dante is a russian spy. I mean, ****!!
Napp
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by AngeryPenguin)
Rigged - as in, if Putin hadn't manipulated events to ensure that his opposition was lead by a ridiculous figurehead that nobody in their right minds would elect, maybe the election wouldn't be between the lesser of two evils, which is no basis for a real democracy.
Maybe maybe not i'd still be incredibly surprised if navalny could have beaten Putin anyway.
If you are forced to choose between a competent evil warmonger in the pockets of the oligarchs and corporations, and a **tarded billionaire with a rabid following who spouts abhorrent views, that isn't what I'd call a healthy democracy.
Forgive me but you just described America more than Russia's democracy there...
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Had lockdown impacted your relationships?

Yes, my partner and I are struggling (11)
6.36%
Yes, my partner and I broke up (12)
6.94%
Yes, it's hard being around my family so much (41)
23.7%
Yes, I'm feeling lonely isolating alone (20)
11.56%
No, nothing has changed (60)
34.68%
No, it's helped improve my relationships (29)
16.76%

Watched Threads