Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Russia's Vladimir Putin wins by big margin watch

Announcements
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Vladimir Putin will lead Russia for another six years, after securing an expected victory in the presidential election.

A Russian state exit poll gave him 73.9% of the vote, easily defeating his closest competitor. The main opposition leader, Alexei Navalny, was barred from the race.

The scale of victory - which had been widely predicted - was a marked increase in his share of the vote from 2012, when he won 64% of votes. A state exit poll put the turnout at 63.7%, down on 2012.

Mr Putin's campaign had hoped for a large turnout, to give him the strongest possible mandate.

Video recordings from polling stations showed irregularities in a number of towns and cities across Russia. Several videos showed election officials stuffing boxes with ballot papers.

Early results showed that with just 21.3% of boxes counted, Mr Putin had almost 72% of the votes.

Exit polls, published as soon as voting ended, showed that Mr Putin's closest opponent, Pavel Grudinin, was only projected to win 11.2%.

Mr Navalny was excluded from the election because of an embezzlement conviction that he said was manufactured by the Kremlin.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-43452449

So you know, that formality is over with..colour us all shocked

ReputationRep:
    Not hard to win an election you've rigged with the help of the local police and the KSB.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Another 6 years :nothing:

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    Name:  all your votes.jpg
Views: 13
Size:  25.8 KB
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by mattchaamp)
    Not hard to win an election you've rigged with the help of the local police and the KSB.
    I assume you mean FSB?

And define rigged? It is a simple fact that for better or worse Putin is exceptionally popular in Russia, he would almost certainly have won without that dubious affair with Navalny.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by CoolCavy)
    Another 6 years :nothing:
    :russia: :party2: :party: :woo::russia:

(Original post by Napp)
    I assume you mean FSB?

And define rigged? It is a simple fact that for better or worse Putin is exceptionally popular in Russia, he would almost certainly have won without that dubious affair with Navalny.
    Rigged - as in, if Putin hadn't manipulated events to ensure that his opposition was lead by a ridiculous figurehead that nobody in their right minds would elect, maybe the election wouldn't be between the lesser of two evils, which is no basis for a real democracy.

If you are forced to choose between a competent evil warmonger in the pockets of the oligarchs and corporations, and a **tarded billionaire with a rabid following who spouts abhorrent views, that isn't what I'd call a healthy democracy.

ReputationRep:
    Spoiler:
    Show

Putin is president. And Dante is a russian spy. I mean, ****!!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by AngeryPenguin)
    Rigged - as in, if Putin hadn't manipulated events to ensure that his opposition was lead by a ridiculous figurehead that nobody in their right minds would elect, maybe the election wouldn't be between the lesser of two evils, which is no basis for a real democracy.
    Maybe maybe not i'd still be incredibly surprised if navalny could have beaten Putin anyway.
    If you are forced to choose between a competent evil warmonger in the pockets of the oligarchs and corporations, and a **tarded billionaire with a rabid following who spouts abhorrent views, that isn't what I'd call a healthy democracy.
    Forgive me but you just described America more than Russia's democracy there...

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 20, 2018
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.