The Student Room Group

AQA A Level History 1C The Tudors: England 1485-1603 7042/1C - 06 Jun 2018

Scroll to see replies

Original post by lowza
okay well that was a weird paper.

i thought the source question was great, loads to talk about etc and easy to find things convincing and unconvincing

then the essays???
1) the wording of the h7 rebellion question was odd (local issues?) and i couldn't work out if they wanted us to talk about plots or not too
2) what was the point of only asking about half of h8's foreign policy when the statement would have worked for the whole period
3) i feel like poverty was a really obscure question, like why not talk about socioeconomic issues as a whole or culture or the effectiveness of legislation

idk i did the h8 question and the poverty question because i really couldn't work out how to answer the rebellion question. i'm so glad i learned a heck load of statistics about poverty because i would not have been able to answer it otherwise. but i don't know anyone else in my school who did it because we aren't really taught as much on it than like religion.

WHY WASN'T RELIGION ON IT???

stupid questions

I agree with the bold parts especially.I was one of the only 2 people to do the obscure poverty question however there was so many things to answer it from(Henry VIII's later reign counts, imo, educated guess but he man induced debasement 1544( which was part of Edward's reign) and DOM 1536
Guys!!!! is pretenders rebellion or NOT? I only mentioned cornish and yorkshire rebellion and hoare-lovell since lambert simnell and Perkin warbeck are pretenders? I evaluated by saying that dynastic condditions where also present and then presented an argument that lack of control resulted in Rebellions? Have I sevrely limited myself what do you think!!!
Original post by lowza
okay well that was a weird paper.

i thought the source question was great, loads to talk about etc and easy to find things convincing and unconvincing

then the essays???
1) the wording of the h7 rebellion question was odd (local issues?) and i couldn't work out if they wanted us to talk about plots or not too
2) what was the point of only asking about half of h8's foreign policy when the statement would have worked for the whole period
3) i feel like poverty was a really obscure question, like why not talk about socioeconomic issues as a whole or culture or the effectiveness of legislation

idk i did the h8 question and the poverty question because i really couldn't work out how to answer the rebellion question. i'm so glad i learned a heck load of statistics about poverty because i would not have been able to answer it otherwise. but i don't know anyone else in my school who did it because we aren't really taught as much on it than like religion.

WHY WASN'T RELIGION ON IT???

stupid questions

Local issues refers to agricultural problems and taxation. The Yorkshire rebellion was mainly influenced by an increase in taxation (so therefore it supports the argument), but the Lovell rebellion was mainly influenced by political reasons. You just need to argue whether the Rebellions were caused by 'local issues' or other factors (such as politics, society, economy, FP etc).
Original post by YSoSerious
Guys!!!! is pretenders rebellion or NOT? I only mentioned cornish and yorkshire rebellion and hoare-lovell since lambert simnell and Perkin warbeck are pretenders? I evaluated by saying that dynastic condditions where also present and then presented an argument that lack of control resulted in Rebellions? Have I sevrely limited myself what do you think!!!

Lambert Simnel was involved in the Earl of Lincoln rebellion (battle of stoke) and Perkin Warbeck was involved in the Cornish rebellion (exploited it). I think you need to mention the rebellions, but just having the pretenders should be fine as long as you've explained it well.
Original post by Wikia
7 rebellions...? All I could think of was Yorkshire, Stafford/Lovell, Cornish + the de la Pole rebellion, what other 3 did you get? I didn't count Warbeck as there was no real rebellion from him, I did say he latched onto the Cornish rebellion though (therefore making it partly a political rebellion).

I thought everything went pretty well to be honest, sources were pretty easy to analyse. I did the rebellion question/Henry's foreign policy.

For the rebellion question I wrote about the four rebellions I knew. I disagreed with the statement and said the Stafford/Lovell rebellion refuted the argument posed by the question, I said Yorkshire agreed, I said Cornish went both ways (yes it was taxation, but the rebels marched to Blackheath, close to London so therefore perhaps signalling intent to usurp Henry - more than local issues + Warbeck latched onto the rebellion) and then the de la Pole rebellion was again, a dynastic issue.

For Henry's foreign policy I disagreed with the statement again, I used examples like his first incursion into France (Battle of Spurs) but I did somewhat argue that Wolsey's resulting treaty with Louis XII (marriage to Henry's sister) could be interpreted as agreeing but it was reactionary rather than Henry's desire to seek peace. After that I just talked about the Treaty of London, Holy Roman League, Field of Cloth of Gold, Treaty of Bruges, Amiens + 1522 invasion of France. I felt like I hardly wrote anything for that question though, wrote about 2 pages.

I thought it was a very decent paper, I agree with a lot of the points you guys have made in this thread though. Plus... no religion? No Edward/Mary?! That's like 60% of the course gone!

Nice to read someone else wrote a lot of the same. I didn't mention the Battle of Flodden, because it was a reaction to the invasion by the Scots - wasn't really a way to seek peace but it wasn't as if Henry directly invaded the Scottish either.

I wrote similar points to you guys, i also added that towards the end of the 1520's Henry wanted to divorce Catherine, but was too afraid of Charles reaction, so tensions started to rise between the two countries.
Original post by Miss.Unknow
Lambert Simnel was involved in the Earl of Lincoln rebellion (battle of stoke) and Perkin Warbeck was involved in the Cornish rebellion (exploited it). I think you need to mention the rebellions, but just having the pretenders should be fine as long as you've explained it well.

I mentione d the Cornish tax rebellion 1489 and the Yorkshire Rebellion in 1497 and also mentioned how Perkin Warbeck exploited it. I didnt mention Lambert Simnell since this was in 1487 (Battle of Stoke) and he was a pretender rather than a rebellion so I thought that wasnt the focus of the question although in my evaluation I did highlight Yorkshire had dynastic intentions as well ut not specific enough. Really hoping my evaluations where good and I thought my conclusion was solid but now i'm worried since our teacher alwqays made a distinction between rebeliions and pretenders. Oh well hopefully My interpretation and question 3 were solid, hopefully can still get an A and do better in Germany
Guys! I thibk I done really good on essays. I done sime fuerher reading on rebellions and it came up ! I done Henry foreign policy as my second essay. In both my essays I chose change and continuity . My sources were disaster as I ran out of time for them and I started with my essays!

It depends on how you define rebellion- I’d personally say Warbeck imposture and Simnel were rebellions. They bothe forced the king to act and were a risk to him; Simnel at Stoke Field and Warbeck with Scottish force and Burgundian people. Also, I don’t think writing about pretender will penalise us; otherwise you could realistically only write about Yorkshire, Cornish and Lovell. If you look online/books- they are categorised as rebellions too. Dynastic reasoning is what I used too! I also argued foreign affairs- Margaret/James helped Warbeck for example. On the flip side I said local issues like Tax- linked it with cloth trade decline due to Burgundy embargo.

I wouldn’t say you severely restricted yourself- it was a very specific question- the wording was vague on “local issues” but it was very specific to rebellions.
I feel like I really messed up in the exam. Everyone keeps saying Mary and Edward weren’t covered at all yet I mentioned them in the poverty question. I talked about Mary’s poor harvests and influenza and then Edward and debasement of the coinage which Elizabeth replaced but still inflation flourished and I then spoke about Elizabeth’s legislation all in relation to population growth. When they said later sixteenth century, I assumed this was 1550’s onwards and not regarding Henry VII or Henry VIII. I’m really upset and worried now as I thought it went ok initially.
I’m really upset because i worked really hard these past few months and was getting A’s and A*’s but i feel like this exam threw me off. Extract question was okay but the essay questions....wtf. I regret not choosing the poverty question because for henry vii rebellions i waffled a lot. and henry viii foreign policy i had a lot of knowledge but i completely messed up on structure because i was stressed and running out of time. What level do you think i would get on that foreign policy question if i had accurate and relevant knowledge but the answer wasn’t very well structured? I had an intro that matched with the conclusion but i ended up writing two big paragraphs that spoke about the holy league, marriage alliance with france, treaty of london etc. but it wasn’t even in order.

i’m just really gutted about how that exam went :/
Original post by Amber-hxxxx
I feel like I really messed up in the exam. Everyone keeps saying Mary and Edward weren’t covered at all yet I mentioned them in the poverty question. I talked about Mary’s poor harvests and influenza and then Edward and debasement of the coinage which Elizabeth replaced but still inflation flourished and I then spoke about Elizabeth’s legislation all in relation to population growth. When they said later sixteenth century, I assumed this was 1550’s onwards and not regarding Henry VII or Henry VIII. I’m really upset and worried now as I thought it went ok initially.

All that stuff is right, and you need to talk about Edward and Mary to give other reasons for poverty
Anyone else talk about the Amicable Grant for the rebellion question? Hoping this was right :smile:
Original post by reu_taylor
Anyone else talk about the Amicable Grant for the rebellion question? Hoping this was right :smile:

The Amicable Grant was in 1525, whereas the rebellions question focused on Henry VII's reign
Original post by vik_k1
It depends on how you define rebellion- I’d personally say Warbeck imposture and Simnel were rebellions. They bothe forced the king to act and were a risk to him; Simnel at Stoke Field and Warbeck with Scottish force and Burgundian people. Also, I don’t think writing about pretender will penalise us; otherwise you could realistically only write about Yorkshire, Cornish and Lovell. If you look online/books- they are categorised as rebellions too. Dynastic reasoning is what I used too! I also argued foreign affairs- Margaret/James helped Warbeck for example. On the flip side I said local issues like Tax- linked it with cloth trade decline due to Burgundy embargo.

I wouldn’t say you severely restricted yourself- it was a very specific question- the wording was vague on “local issues” but it was very specific to rebellions.

Thats a shame because I know loads for Warbeck and Simnel but in the exam the question threw me definitely havent got the level 5 band answer and maybe not even level 4 which seriously sucks becuase thats what I usually get :frown: maybe If I have strong interpretation and level 3 I can still push an A but probably not an A* which is definetly annoying. Grade boundaries will be high as well because they where all beautiful questions just did a stupid eff up
You should be fine then as pretenders do link in with rebellions. Focus on your next exam :smile:
@YSoSerious
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 135
Thats a shame because I know loads for Warbeck and Simnel but in the exam the question threw me definitely havent got the level 5 band answer and maybe not even level 4 which seriously sucks becuase thats what I usually get :frown: maybe If I have strong interpretation and level 3 I can still push an A but probably not an A* which is definetly annoying. Grade boundaries will be high as well because they where all beautiful questions just did a stupid eff up

I feel literally the same, in all the essays I was writing before hand I was getting all level 5s but then for some reason I didn't think simnel was a rebellion (probably because it wasn't in that section of the book) so I only wrote about Cornish and Yorkshire so waffled a lot.

But like you say, if we can get 25/30 on the extract and 18/25 on the other essay then we could get as low as 12 on the rebellion essay and still get an A - it was 48/80 last year and I doubt they'll raise it more than 10%.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by jdjz
I feel literally the same, in all the essays I was writing before hand I was getting all level 5s but then for some reason I didn't think simnel was a rebellion (probably because it wasn't in that section of the book) so I only wrote about Cornish and Yorkshire so waffled a lot.

But like you say, if we can get 25/30 on the extract and 18/25 on the other essay then we could get as low as 12 on the rebellion essay and still get an A - it was 48/80 last year and I doubt they'll raise it more than 10%.

Even if you managed to get 15-17 on all the essays you can still get an A.
Original post by reu_taylor

AG was under Henry VIII and Wolsey, the question specifically asked about Henry VII's rebellions. So unfortunately its not right :frown: Did you write about the other rebellions during HVII reign?
Reply 138
Original post by Miss.Unknow
Even if you managed to get 15-17 on all the essays you can still get an A.

Yeah I'm not sure about how possible that is for the rebellion question, but i felt like my extract question went as well as any I did before the exam so hopefully it'll pull me up
Original post by saziz0821
I’m really upset because i worked really hard these past few months and was getting A’s and A*’s but i feel like this exam threw me off. Extract question was okay but the essay questions....wtf. I regret not choosing the poverty question because for henry vii rebellions i waffled a lot. and henry viii foreign policy i had a lot of knowledge but i completely messed up on structure because i was stressed and running out of time. What level do you think i would get on that foreign policy question if i had accurate and relevant knowledge but the answer wasn’t very well structured? I had an intro that matched with the conclusion but i ended up writing two big paragraphs that spoke about the holy league, marriage alliance with france, treaty of london etc. but it wasn’t even in order.

i’m just really gutted about how that exam went :/

Pretty much how my exam went. In a mock a few weeks before the exam I did 2 essays which scored over 80%, then I get into the exam and I can barely write an essay on HVII rebellions! I don't know whether it's the pressure of being in an exam and having 2 years of work all culminating in those 2 and a half hours, or whether I should have revised structure more. I'm really disappointed because my teacher believes I could get an A (what i need for uni) but I didn't feel like I wrote A grade answers for the essays :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending