The Student Room Group

AQA A Level History 1C The Tudors: England 1485-1603 7042/1C - 06 Jun 2018

Hi guys! Who's taking the exam on The Tudors this year? How are you feeling about it?

You can find some AQA A-Level History resources here and the AQA subject content guide here

Scroll to see replies

Original post by CoolCavy
Hi guys! Who's taking the exam on The Tudors this year? How are you feeling about it?

You can find some AQA A-Level History resources here and the AQA subject content guide here

Hello there Cavy. I'm taking it, looking forward to it(but not as forward I am to the 2O exam).I'm a bit sad at how easy the questions were last year as all the questions had so much one could talk about :frown:...I feel like this year AQA will ask questions with not much breadth. Still looking largely forward to it nevertheless.
i feel like I've been overthinking everything regarding my essays. I love the content so I'm conversant with it however, I've run into issues with getting it all down
Can anyone help me out, my teacher for this side of the course is really not very good at all. What we are taught in class doesn’t match up with the AQA textbook, and neither of these match with the Lotherington textbook which my school recommends. What does everyone else use to revise with?
Reply 4
Original post by Connie1123
Can anyone help me out, my teacher for this side of the course is really not very good at all. What we are taught in class doesn’t match up with the AQA textbook, and neither of these match with the Lotherington textbook which my school recommends. What does everyone else use to revise with?

hi
we use the oxford aqa history history book, it has a picture of Elizabeth i at the front. this book is AQA approved. there is also a simpler version that costs about £10 too.
Does anyone have any predictions for what may come up?? My teacher was pointing towards the Henrician Reformation and Elizabeth I's foreign policy. I feel so nervous and unprepared for them...My teacher isn't very good either so I have been doing as much work as I could have by myself but I honestly still don't feel like it's enough :frown:
Original post by hristina5
Does anyone have any predictions for what may come up?? My teacher was pointing towards the Henrician Reformation and Elizabeth I's foreign policy. I feel so nervous and unprepared for them...My teacher isn't very good either so I have been doing as much work as I could have by myself but I honestly still don't feel like it's enough :frown:

I’m not sure, ahh those would be awful topics, I’m not prepared for them either, hopefully there will be low grade boundaries!
Original post by Connie1123
I’m not sure, ahh those would be awful topics, I’m not prepared for them either, hopefully there will be low grade boundaries!

I would love it if the Reformation came up but apparently it came up on the AS paper, so tbh idk what that's really supposed to mean...
I really think some sort of foreign policy question will crop up, most likely Henry VIII's as its such a vast topic but it could also be Elizabeth's. There was nothing on economy for the last few years so there could be an interpretation on that maybe idk

The sample assessment material for this year is very similar to what was on the 2018 AS paper (Henry/Wolsey[interpretation], Reformation[essay], Henry VII's consolidation[essay]), so it's unlikely that those will crop up. who knows though?

Mid Tudor Crisis, Henry VII's consolidation, Henry VIII's gov and Elizabeth's religious settlement was all on last years A2, dunno if they'll repeat any of those. I don't really think they'll be a Wolsey question as that's appeared a lot, this is all speculation though, I really dunno whats gonna come up I feel so unprepared
Hi this might sound stupid but do we need historiorgaphy for this paper? I asked my teacher and they said no but other things I've found online said it would be helpful? I have notes on it but dont want to waste time trying to learn it if i dont need it?
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by maddieboris
Hi this might sound stupid but do we need historiorgaphy for this paper? I asked my teacher and they said no but other things I've found online said it would be helpful? I have notes on it but dont want to waste time trying to learn it if i dont need it?

I don’t think so no. If so you have to be specific like name the historian and then view and NOT say “some historians” apparently that’s bad according to my teacher. I don’t think you get any more marks for it because it won’t be on the mark scheme
Original post by Dulcieturner
I don’t think so no. If so you have to be specific like name the historian and then view and NOT say “some historians” apparently that’s bad according to my teacher. I don’t think you get any more marks for it because it won’t be on the mark scheme

Definitely agree, did A2 history last year and was told to never say that :yes:

Ah thanks i was getting so confused and didnt want to leave something important out!
Reply 13

@CoolCavy @Dulcieturner
@maddieboris

Could you possible say instead of “some historians” that the “traditionalist view/interpretation” or “revisionist historians argue...” etc? Or would you still need to be specific and use historians’ names?

Can you give a link to the notes please.
Original post by vik_k1
@CoolCavy @Dulcieturner
@maddieboris

Could you possible say instead of “some historians” that the “traditionalist view/interpretation” or “revisionist historians argue...” etc? Or would you still need to be specific and use historians’ names?

Best to stick with the latter. Also , historiography isn't needed, you don't need to state historian views(though mentioning them could enhance your view)
hi everyone!

I'm really struggling to get Elizabeth's government into my head. I've made notes and flashcards but I'm still struggling to get the overall picture! Can anyone help?

In that thread, I'm guessing you guys have used the AQA Oxford textbook - are yous all bothering to learn that big mindmap with "key functions of the Privy council", will anything like that come up? is it worth it anyways?

thanks!
Original post by bloodygoth
Can you give a link to the notes please.

Sorry I just used Quizlets of Tudor historigraphy to get notes and quotes etc. and can't find where it said it should be included!
Original post by popefrancis266
hi everyone!

I'm really struggling to get Elizabeth's government into my head. I've made notes and flashcards but I'm still struggling to get the overall picture! Can anyone help?

In that thread, I'm guessing you guys have used the AQA Oxford textbook - are yous all bothering to learn that big mindmap with "key functions of the Privy council", will anything like that come up? is it worth it anyways?

thanks!

Hi! With Elizabeths government I just did notes on the factiosn etc. but from what I've been told its mostly looking at how it developed, growing bigger, the different religous areas (the Puritan Choir etc.). Along with this I think that whats really important is the whole Cecil vs. Essex factions and how Elizabeth used her personal control to manipulate people. Looking at the Parliment side thats quite important as well because she relied on them to make choices for her that she didnt want to decide (so on Religion and relations with Spain) as well as extrodinary revenue and religous changes. In terms of the textbook I havent as dont really see a point and even if it did you would only really need three or four examples for an essay at least I thinks so!
Hi! With Elizabeths government I just did notes on the factiosn etc. but from what I've been told its mostly looking at how it developed, growing bigger, the different religous areas (the Puritan Choir etc.). Along with this I think that whats really important is the whole Cecil vs. Essex factions and how Elizabeth used her personal control to manipulate people. Looking at the Parliment side thats quite important as well because she relied on them to make choices for her that she didnt want to decide (so on Religion and relations with Spain) as well as extrodinary revenue and religous changes. In terms of the textbook I havent as dont really see a point and even if it did you would only really need three or four examples for an essay at least I thinks so!

you are an absolute lifesaver!! that makes everything so much clearer!! thanks so much!!
good luck with the exam next week!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending