The Student Room Group

John McEnroe earns 10 times more than Martina Navratilova

Scroll to see replies

Original post by shadowdweller
especially when you look at their sporting histories..

I asked this question some time ago, but received no answer. Exactly how do their sporting histories affect their abilities as commentators and expert summarisers? Does the winning of a tournament somehow increase your analytical ability, or your speaking skills?

In fact, McEnroe is widely recognised as witty, informative, innovative and insightful, willing to let the tennis speak for itself, while Navratilova is commonly described as flat, boring and not knowing when to be quiet.

Here are assessments of them both:

http://www.thefanscountryclub.com/tennis-1/2017/2/18/tennis-commentators-power-rankings

McEnroe is rated among the best of the best, Navratilova among the most mediocre.
Original post by Good bloke
I asked this question some time ago, but received no answer. Exactly how do their sporting histories affect their abilities as commentators and expert summarisers? Does the winning of a tournament somehow increase your analytical ability, or your speaking skills?

In fact, McEnroe is widely recognised as witty, informative, innovative and insightful, willing to let the tennis speak for itself, while Navratilova is commonly described as flat, boring and not knowing when to be quiet.

http://www.thefanscountryclub.com/tennis-1/2017/2/18/tennis-commentators-power-rankings

McEnroe is rated among the best of the best, Navratilova among the most mediocre.

As far as I'm aware, I didn't get a quote about that previously, so apologies for missing it before!

It, at least on a level, increases your technical knowledge of the sport. The assessments there don't come across in a particularly readable or constructive manner, but I'll read up on it further elsewhere and get back to you.
Original post by Good bloke

Thank you for that info GB.
In a rational world that would be the end of the thread. 👍🙂

It, at least on a level, increases your technical knowledge of the sport.

Nah. They were both players at the highest level for many years. We know both could play and both have technical knowledge. However, you seem to think that because Navratilova's experience was gained in a relatively uncompetitive circuit where she was able to amass more big wins, it counts for more than McEnroe's career in an intensely competitive circuit.

The truth is that any top level player has that kind of knowledge. Some were able to use it to better effect, but that ability is not relevant to this second career. at all. Coaches who won nothing would, arguably, have even more such knowledge. So the number of titles they won is irrelevant.

What counts now is being able to inform and entertain the viewer, and McEnroe is simply a much better communicator.
He does 3 times the amount, but I highly doubt it's of such a significantly higher quality to account for the gap, especially when you look at their sporting histories. I have already addressed the latter argument a few times, that doesn't address the sheer difference, not in any reasonable way.

Being equal in terms of ability at a sport (which obviously not true of these two people: McEnroe would have beat Navratilova blindfolded with one arm tied behind his back) doesn’t mean you’re equal in terms of punditry; Glenn Hoddle was a great footballer but a terrible pundit.

As I can’t be bothered to search back for your answer to my second point would you like to give me a brief summary of your response?
It is, however, a factor when you're not building a strawman argument. Yes, quality of work done is a factor, but no, his work is certainly not 10 times better than hers, even if you take into account the differences in hours between them. Similarly, leveraging of positions is a somewhat valid reason for someone to be paid more - but certainly not for them to be paid 10 times more. If a company is paying two people doing identical work such a staggeringly different amount, there is a significant flaw in that company and how it approaches its employees.

Depends what measure you are using to say whether it’s better or not. The question is simple, is he ten times more valuable than her? The bbc seem to think so, otherwise they wouldn’t pay him ten times more

Transgenders have been allowed to participate in Women's tennis since 1977, after Renee Richards won a supreme court case. Renee Richards coached Martina Navratilova to two Wimbledon titles.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending