The Student Room Group

Mental Health

I am 19 and female.

From year 8 - now I have dealt with mental health problems, depression and anxiety. Not only that I have low iron which also caused me anxiety, depression, no energy, no motivation and tiredness. I also have some issues with not being able to control anger. I get comments made about my height all the time, paleness and the fact that I'm quiet. I also have very bad memory.

Due to all of these problems I couldn't cope and failed all of my GCSEs, they are all under C/4 grade, I have a lot of Us. I still went to college to do entry level 3 maths and English functional skills and animal care. I passed then left due to severe anxiety, took a few months out, got a Christmas job, got another job doing doggy daycare, left the Christmas job, went back to college to do level 1 English and maths. I'm still doing that now and doggy daycare. I have volunteer experience in 3 different animal places.

I applied for a job at a Cattery place, I have a trial, I have a good and bad feeling about it, I'm so close to getting my dream job, I've wanted to work with animals from a very young age, I'm just so scared that I won't get it, if I don't I'm not sure what I'll do, I'll lose all hope, even though I do doggy daycare it's only 1 dog and I can't get anymore clients, no one is replying to me, I also think the Cattery job is better for my future and when I finish college there's a chance I go full time and even though the pay isn't great the atmosphere is lovely there, everyone gets on, everyone is happy, everyone loves the job. I'm terrified I won't get it and at the same time I believe I might just get it, I actually volunteered there before but a few years ago.

I'm not sure how to feel positive, the fact that I feel scared that I won't get the job rather than feeling like I will scares me a little, I'm incapable of staying positive. I want to be open, easy to talk to, confident and happy and feel great about myself, be able to get the job I've always wanted. How do I stay positive about my life? Stay hopeful about my future? How do I ease anxiety?

No negative responses please.

I might soon be doing a pre access course to get my GCSEs. I just want a good future.

I also hate rich people, I have those kids who enjoy life without worrying about money, the nice big houses and cars, the travelling, all the things I can't do and never had. My cousins are rich and I hate them for having everything I don't, I have always had things like phones, laptops, TV, PlayStation, holidays in the UK, so I definitely am privileged in some ways and don't consider myself poor, maybe lower middle class, we did lose our home but bounced back, we live in a council house but it's very nice, one of my parents lost their job through no fault of their own. I don't mind the area I live in but it's considered disadvantaged which I don't like, I don't think I am disadvantaged but I know there are people here worse off, lovely people though, my cousins are horrible. We also have cars and jobs but not high paying jobs.

Anyway how do I stay positive?
Hey- Im sorry about what your going through. The thing is- it could've been worse. You could've failed all your GCSEs, not made it to College. Not been allowed to volunteer at those animals places. Not even been CONSIDERED at the Cattery Place. But you overcame your obstacles, followed your dreams no matter what medical condition hit you. You are strong. You have made it this far. Now I know its hard; and I cant possibly understand what your going through. But I remember in the last year of high school, depression and anxiety hit one of my closest friends. He had to leave and return to school the next year. But he didnt give up; he worked hard and got good solid grades! He went to college and failed his subjects-but still he didnt give up! He got into this Dental Apprenticeship and now he is on the line of becoming an Dental Hygienist. I know what he went through; I was with him along every step. I saw him at his greatest and weakest. I saw how he suffered- how hard it was for him, but now he is twice the man he was before! Sadly im not there with you at the moment, but if you do need any help or support we are here for you! The whole TSR family! Stay strong. Theres people out there who would kill to be in the same position as you; remember someone always has it worse. Stay positive, my prayers are with you. I have a feeling your going to get in :smile:
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Li0n
Hey- Im sorry about what your going through. The thing is- it could've been worse. You could've failed all your GCSEs, not made it to College. Not been allowed to volunteer at those animals places. Not even been CONSIDERED at the Cattery Place. But you overcame your obstacles, followed your dreams no matter what medical condition hit you. You are strong. You have made it this far. Now I know its hard; and I cant possibly understand what your going through. But I remember in the last year of high school, depression and anxiety hit one of my closest friends. He had to leave and return to school the next year. But he didnt give up; he worked hard and got good solid grades! He went to college and failed his subjects-but still he didnt give up! He got into this Dental Apprenticeship and now he is on the line of becoming an Dental Hygienist. I know what he went through; I was with him along every step. I saw him at his greatest and weakest. I saw how he suffered- how hard it was for him, but now he is twice the man he was before! Sadly im not there with you at the moment, but if you do need any help or support we are here for you! The whole TSR family! Stay strong. Theres people out there who would kill to be in the same position as you; remember someone always has it worse. Stay positive, my prayers are with you. I have a feeling your going to get in :smile:

I'm glad your friend didn't give up, I never have either, just failed a few times. Than you though :smile: means a lot.
Original post by Anonymous
I'm glad your friend didn't give up, I never have either, just failed a few times. Than you though :smile: means a lot.

Any time :smile:
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Li0n
Any time :smile:

I failed to get the Cattery job.
Original post by Anonymous
I failed to get the Cattery job.

Im so sorry. But dont give up! Are there any other jobs which you like. Why didnt they accept you? Maybe you can work on that and they then apply again? Are there any other Cattery places you can apply too? Again im really sorry- but don't give up!

Quick Reply

Latest