The Student Room Group

C4 integration.....help!

Hi,
This may be a simple question but I just can't understand it.

I'm trying to integrate 2x/(1+x)

The answer is apparently 2 - 2/(1+x)

Please could someone tell me how would you get this and what rule would you use etc

Thank you in advance!
Original post by djels013.211
Hi,

Please could someone tell me how would you get this and what rule would you use etc

Thank you in advance!

You can use long division to split your fraction into A+B1+xA + \dfrac{B}{1+x}

A much neater approach is to rewrite the numerator as 2x=2x+22=2(1+x)22x = 2x+2-2 = 2(1+x)-2 hence you have 2(1+x)21+x\dfrac{2(1+x)-2}{1+x} which you can split into two fractions and hence obtain the answer.

Furthermore, that is not the answer for integrating it. That there is simply long division applied. It still needs to be integrated.
Original post by djels013.211
Hi,

Thank you in advance!

The second way @RDKGames explained is beautiful. But I'm not sure if you'd get the full method marks in the exam, so it's better to practice long division as it's a great skill you will need.
The reason why you didn't get the correct answer is probably because you've not realised that this is an improper fraction. As the degree of the numerator is the same as the degree of the denominator, you need to do long division first and you'll get the answer directly.
Can't you do this by substitution, using the same order rule?
Reply 4
Original post by DarthRoar
Can't you do this by substitution, using the same order rule?

Yes substitution would also work and can be done without much work if a student is confident with what they're doing. But it's just as fast/faster to use a division method so I wouldn't choose substitution for this.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by RDKGames
You can use long division to split your fraction into A+B1+xA + \dfrac{B}{1+x}

A much neater approach is to rewrite the numerator as 2x=2x+22=2(1+x)22x = 2x+2-2 = 2(1+x)-2 hence you have 2(1+x)21+x\dfrac{2(1+x)-2}{1+x} which you can split into two fractions and hence obtain the answer.

Furthermore, that is not the answer for integrating it. That there is simply long division applied. It still needs to be integrated.

Don't mind me, just quoting this for future reference.
Reply 6
Original post by Chittesh14
The second way @RDKGames explained is beautiful. But I'm not sure if you'd get the full method marks in the exam

It's valid algebra so there's no reason why marks wouldn't be awarded. Exams will never favour one method over another as long as they are all mathematically valid.
Original post by Notnek
It's valid algebra so there's no reason why marks wouldn't be awarded. Exams will never favour one method over another as long as they are all mathematically valid.

Yeah, I understand that. But, I used that method too lol (for a different module) and my teacher just destroyed me. But, it was for partial fractions rather than an integration question involving the need to split into partial fractions. It was worth 3 marks and I done it using that method in like one line and I got 1 mark lmao.
Reply 8
Yeah, I understand that. But, I used that method too lol (for a different module) and my teacher just destroyed me. But, it was for partial fractions rather than an integration question involving the need to split into partial fractions. It was worth 3 marks and I done it using that method in like one line and I got 1 mark lmao.

What teachers do is very different to what is/isn't allowed in an exam. Teachers often get set in their ways and don't like methods that they're not used to even though they are valid and maybe even quicker. Teachers that do this are poor teachers in my opinion unless they have a valid reason for rejecting a certain method e.g. because it's slower.

The worst example I've seen of this is a teacher giving a student 12% in a C1 coordinate geometry test because they didn't use the y-y1=m(x-x1) formula even though all their answers were correct, which was better than every other student in the class. The student lost all their confidence because of this test and I was not happy (an understatement).
Original post by Notnek
What teachers do is very different to what is/isn't allowed in an exam. Teachers often get set in their ways and don't like methods that they're not used to even though they are valid and maybe even quicker. Teachers that do this are poor teachers in my opinion unless they have a valid reason for rejecting a certain method e.g. because it's slower.

The worst example I've seen of this is a teacher giving a student 12% in a C1 coordinate geometry test because they didn't use the y-y1=m(x-x1) formula even though all their answers were correct, which was better than every other student in the class. The student lost all their confidence because of this test and I was not happy (an understatement).

That's true, I don't really know how the marking works in an exam lol. But I've heard that from teachers too that a valid method will always get full marks, I'm just uncertain on it. Thank you though.
Yeah, my teacher does the same lmao, but it's not that bad. If you don't get the correct answer, he usually gives 0 or 1 without checking the method lol.
Original post by Notnek

That's crazy! A lot of my students prefer to use y = mx + c whenyou've found the gradient as you are just translating the line up or down to go through the specific point you're given - in many ways this shows greater understanding than just blindly using 'that formula'.
Reply 11
Original post by Muttley79
That's crazy! A lot of my students prefer to use y = mx + c whenyou've found the gradient as you are just translating the line up or down to go through the specific point you're given - in many ways this shows greater understanding than just blindly using 'that formula'.

Yes I'm also fine with either method.

I could see the teacher's reasoning for wanting all of the students to follow the same method but giving the best student in the class 12% was ridiculous and irresponsible. The parents immediate response was to come down very hard on the student, especially since this was at one of the best schools in the country. In the end the student just thought it was easier to never go against the teacher's methods to avoid it happening again.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Notnek
Yes I'm also fine with either method.

I could see the teacher's reasoning for wanting all of the students to follow the same method but giving the best student in the class 12% was ridiculous and irresponsible. The parents immediate response was to come down very hard on the student, especially since this was at one of the best schools in the country. In the end the student just thought it was easier to never go against the teacher's methods to avoid it happening again.

It does not reflect well on the teacher or the school - blindly applying a technique is not what mathematics is about imho.
Reply 13
Original post by Muttley79
blindly applying a technique is not what mathematics is about imho.

Indeed. This could also harm the higher achieving students when they get stuck on A*/A questions which require more thinking than just applying some formula from the textbook.
Reply 14

If you're confident with your method then stick to it. Especially since it's much faster than doing a partial fraction decomposition.
2x/(1+x) you can canecl out the x..............

2/1 which is 2/1 (or 2) or (2.000000000000)

Quick Reply

Latest