The Student Room Group

I can't decide ~

So I scored a B in my English as a Second Language IGCSE exam and at that time, I wasn't very fond of it. But at this stage, I really have decided to put writing as my future destination and choosing is hard.

As a next step for my future studies, I am told to choose in A-Levels. Although I would love to, but I need an insider's opinion just to be sure that I don't end up killing myself while studying it.

I would choose frankly, English Literature as a single one, and I have no intention to pick sciences as my major subject.

So I need some opinions to know if what I am choosing is right or not. I still have time till August so I need to think hard. But do help me.

Thanks ~
Reply 1
Original post by ThinkerToot
So I scored a B in my English as a Second Language IGCSE exam and at that time, I wasn't very fond of it. But at this stage, I really have decided to put writing as my future destination and choosing is hard.

As a next step for my future studies, I am told to choose in A-Levels. Although I would love to, but I need an insider's opinion just to be sure that I don't end up killing myself while studying it.

I would choose frankly, English Literature as a single one, and I have no intention to pick sciences as my major subject.

So I need some opinions to know if what I am choosing is right or not. I still have time till August so I need to think hard. But do help me.

Thanks ~

Hi there!

So if you're looking to study British A-Level qualifications, it is normal to study three subjects to A2, since this is what universities will make offers based upon. One A-Level usually equates to approximately 5hrs of contact time a week. Studying at just one would not be an option if you're looking at admission to university, you really need three.

English Literature is a demanding A-Level, so I would ensure you have a strong command of the English language before deciding to study it. Lots of old English, such as the writings of Shakespeare, Orwell, Rossetti and the like, can be very wordy and challenging even to native speakers. I'm not trying to put you off the subject in any way, just be aware that it will be a challenge. Make sure that you know what you are undertaking before you do it, studying English Literature is very different to studying English as a second language at IGCSE.

In terms of A-Levels in general plenty of people every year study them, most have points that they struggle but that's just part of it. Look at the course specifications and decide what suits you best.
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending