The Student Room Group

c4 maths, integration confusion

Hey! Hopefully the picture will illustrate my confusion, would really appreciate some help here.
I tried the two different methods of integrating 1/5theta and they don't end up with the same answer..?

thanks for the help in advance and sorry for the bad writing :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Virolite
Hey! Hopefully the picture will illustrate my confusion, would really appreciate some help here.
I tried the two different methods of integrating 1/5theta and they don't end up with the same answer..?

Good spot. Notice that ln5θ+c\ln |5\theta|+c can be split into ln5+lnθ+c\ln 5 + \ln |\theta|+c

Since ln5\ln 5 is a constant, it can be combined with the arbitary constant cc to end up with lnθ+c\ln|\theta| + c.

So both answers are actually the same. Make sense?
Reply 2
One nitpik (sorry!)

For the second method, after you integrate (indefinite), you need to add a constant, otherwise, a good spot!
Reply 3
Original post by Notnek
Good spot. Notice that ln5θ+c\ln |5\theta|+c can be split into ln5+lnθ+c\ln 5 + \ln |\theta|+c

Since ln5\ln 5 is a constant, it can be combined with the arbitary constant cc to end up with lnθ+c\ln|\theta| + c.

So both answers are actually the same. Make sense?

OHH thanks, I would never have seen that without your help.

So in these sorts of questions if I didn't separate the ln(5theta) and carried on with said question, I would lose marks?

I think regardless I'm always going to remember to take out the constant before integrating instead of making it harder haha XD
Reply 4
OHH thanks, I would never have seen that without your help.

So in these sorts of questions if I didn't separate the ln(5theta) and carried on with said question, I would lose marks?

I think regardless I'm always going to remember to take out the constant before integrating instead of making it harder haha XD

No you wouldn't lose marks since both answers are correct.

If you integrated 2x dx\displaystyle \int 2x \ dx and wrote e.g. x2+e+cx^2+e+c then you'd still get the marks because it's correct even though there's a random ee in your answer!

Of course I wouldn't advise this - keep your answer as simple as possible but ln5θ+c\ln |5\theta|+c is fine.
Reply 6
Original post by Notnek
No you wouldn't lose marks since both answers are correct.

If you integrated 2x dx\displaystyle \int 2x \ dx and wrote e.g. x2+e+cx^2+e+c then you'd still get the marks because it's correct even though there's a random ee in your answer!

Of course I wouldn't advise this - keep your answer as simple as possible but ln5θ+c\ln |5\theta|+c is fine.

ahh perfect thanks again! hopefully I can be as good as you at maths someday:redface:

here's why u r wrong you are try in to use a statement which states that ;
Integral (f'(x)/f (x)) = ln |f (x)|

your first .met his is correct but the second method if wrong since let's say f (theta) = 5theta then f'(theta) = 5 so u can't use the statement since the numerator is not a derivative of 5 theta.......

let me know if u understood this :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by brainmaster

your first .met his is correct but the second method if wrong since let's say f (theta) = 5theta then f'(theta) = 5 so u can't use the statement since the numerator is not a derivative of 5 theta.......

No his second method is correct (he's just missing a +c).

You're right that 15θ\frac{1}{5\theta} is not exactly in the form you mentioned but that's why he adjusted the answer by multiplying by 15\frac{1}{5}.

15θ dθ=15ln(5θ)+c\displaystyle \int \frac{1}{5\theta} \ d\theta = \frac{1}{5}\ln(5\theta) + c

This is correct.
Original post by Notnek
No his second method is correct (he's just missing a +c).

You're right that 15θ\frac{1}{5\theta} is not exactly in the form you mentioned but that's why he adjusted the answer by multiplying by 15\frac{1}{5}.

15θ dθ=15ln(5θ)+c\displaystyle \int \frac{1}{5\theta} \ d\theta = \frac{1}{5}\ln(5\theta) + c

This is correct.

aha I just saw that now but would that be recommended?
Reply 10
aha I just saw that now but would that be recommended?

Yes it’s fine. You can always simplify the final answer if needed.
Original post by Notnek
Yes it’s fine. You can always simplify the final answer if needed.

I see...Yeah pretty works at higher levels here at high school they don't bother looking for ways to approach a question like in my pure math class when we were learning integration by parts I tried to use the formula in this way;
Integral v*dy/dx = uv - integral u*dv/dx

it lead me to the same answer but my teacher game me a wrong at the start thinking since my values were at wrong place and he is like "you shouldn't confuse things use what u r given". This discourages students from trying new things and shows that most of the time the teachers don't look at your method instead they look at the final answer directly......is it the same way where you come from? like is this a problem worldwide or only a few teachers are like this?
do they take marks off if you forget to put the modulus signs ?

ln|5x|
Reply 13
I see...Yeah pretty works at higher levels here at high school they don't bother looking for ways to approach a question like in my pure math class when we were learning integration by parts I tried to use the formula in this way;
Integral v*dy/dx = uv - integral u*dv/dx

it lead me to the same answer but my teacher game me a wrong at the start thinking since my values were at wrong place and he is like "you shouldn't confuse things use what u r given". This discourages students from trying new things and shows that most of the time the teachers don't look at your method instead they look at the final answer directly......is it the same way where you come from? like is this a problem worldwide or only a few teachers are like this?

This is quite common unfortunately. Many teachers get stuck in their ways and like students to follow their methods exactly.

The best teachers allow students to come up with their own way of doing things and will only discourage a certain method/notation if it is slow or confusing. Switching u and v in the IBP formula is perfectly fine as long as you get the right answer.
Reply 14
Original post by the bear

ln|5x|

In a mark scheme I just looked at, they don't use modulus signs for the integrals so I guess not.
Reply 15
Original post by the bear

ln|5x|

No and they also never ask questions like this

321x dx\displaystyle \int^{-2}_{-3} \frac{1}{x} \ dx

A cruel part of me wishes they did put something like this in the exam one year - then teachers would have to encourage their students to use modulus signs :smile:
Original post by Notnek

A cruel part of me wishes they did put something like this in the exam one year - then teachers would have to encourage their students to use modulus signs :smile:

that would sort the sheep from the goats :teehee:
Reply 17

didn't quite understand this bro
Reply 18
Original post by Notnek

doesn't that give the same answer regardless of the modulus signs? tried it but maybe i'm wrong i got ln(2/3)
Reply 19
doesn't that give the same answer regardless of the modulus signs? tried it but maybe i'm wrong i got ln(2/3)

What was your working to get ln(2/3)?

Quick Reply

Latest