The Student Room Group

Southampton vs UEA

Difference between them? Why should I choose one over the other? Pros and cons of each one? Thanks

All I have so far is:
Southampton: prosected cadavres, with an option to do dissection in the 3rd year? In terms of prosections, is it hands on or just observation? lectures, anatomy classes, tutorials, clinical placements once a week? Research project in year 3. Is there anything more to that? Is there group work?

East anglia: dissection, PBL, integrated, lectures, clinical placements once a week?

I have the impression that southampton medicine seems more passive but east anglia is more active? Is there more variation in the teaching style at southampton? I don't know how I feel about PBL either, it seems fun but at the same time hearing other groups feedback is the worst for me. I don't know if I would get the right information when having to research everything myself, that seems pretty boring to me?
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 1
depends what you’re studying, where you live, you’re own personal preferences, your specification etc.

i personally would choose Southampton but that’s because it’s closer to home for me, one of the best unis in the world, let alone the uk, for my course, i know people there etc
Original post by maria.3
depends what you’re studying, where you live, you’re own personal preferences, your specification etc.

i personally would choose Southampton but that’s because it’s closer to home for me, one of the best unis in the world, let alone the uk, for my course, i know people there etc

Ahh okay,

It's for medicine. I want to be able to really enjoy myself somewhere for 6 years. Diversity is a must for me, and I feel like UEA lacks that. I'm not into partying, clubbing etc so that kind of stuff isn't a problem. Idk how much different UEA is from southampton apart from the fact that it's PBL and uses dissection?
Reply 3
Original post by geniequeen48
Ahh okay,

It's for medicine. I want to be able to really enjoy myself somewhere for 6 years. Diversity is a must for me, and I feel like UEA lacks that. I'm not into partying, clubbing etc so that kind of stuff isn't a problem. Idk how much different UEA is from southampton apart from the fact that it's PBL and uses dissection?

hmm ok. i personally don’t know much for medicine. but i’m doing nursing (somewhat similar) and as i said, southampton is in the top 5 in the world for nursing

if you’re really torn, it may be worth visiting an open day to each.
2 most important things when deciding a university:

1) Look at your course and look at the course structure of the course at both unis - and decide which course suits you.

2) Consider where you are living - you’re going to be living in either the city of Southampton or the city of Norwich for 3/4 years - so you have to love your city and be happy there.

I’ve never been to Norwich but I can say Southampton is a bit of a dumpsite and really is an unattractive dull city. But then again Southampton is a russell group uni and I don’t think UEA is (correct me if I’m wrong?) so Southampton is likely to have a better reputation with employers etc and probably will be more regarded for your chosen course - check to be sure.
Original post by iBMRjS
2 most important things when deciding a university:

1) Look at your course and look at the course structure of the course at both unis - and decide which course suits you.

2) Consider where you are living - you’re going to be living in either the city of Southampton or the city of Norwich for 3/4 years - so you have to love your city and be happy there.

I’ve never been to Norwich but I can say Southampton is a bit of a dumpsite and really is an unattractive dull city. But then again Southampton is a russell group uni and I don’t think UEA is (correct me if I’m wrong?) so Southampton is likely to have a better reputation with employers etc and probably will be more regarded for your chosen course - check to be sure.

Oh for medicine rankings don't really matter.
But thanks anyway!
I should have added more to my post sorry.
bump?
Difference between them? Why should I choose one over the other? Pros and cons of each one? Thanks

All I have so far is:
Southampton: prosected cadavres, with an option to do dissection in the 3rd year? In terms of prosections, is it hands on or just observation? lectures, anatomy classes, tutorials, clinical placements once a week? Research project in year 3. Is there anything more to that? Is there group work?

East anglia: dissection, PBL, integrated, lectures, clinical placements once a week?

I have the impression that southampton medicine seems more passive but east anglia is more active? Is there more variation in the teaching style at southampton? I don't know how I feel about PBL either, it seems fun but at the same time hearing other groups feedback is the worst for me. I don't know if I would get the right information when having to research everything myself, that seems pretty boring to me?

Hi @geniequeen48,

I'm currently a 3rd year at UEA. I didn't know how to feel about PBL to begin with either, I had all the concerns you did about research and believed the misconception that I'd have no lectures and it'd be all PBL. Turns out I was pretty wrong thankfully!

I'd definitely describe our teaching to be more active than passive. We have one primary care placement per week and then 4 week hospital placement per term including your first term! Early patient contact is great and really helps us develop into being well-prepared doctors. 3 days a week will be lectures/seminars and then half a day gathering as a PBL group and presenting to each other the main topics that we've learnt that week.

In regards to dissection we have 2 hour seminars per week with full cadavers which we dissect according to the body system we're studying.

If you have anymore questions about the course or the university itself feel free to ask :h:

Task UEA Official UG Rep
Championship football for either place next season! Just think about which place you would enjoy most. A campus uni such as UEA is great for some but not for other people.
I have firmed southampton
Reply 11
I have firmed southampton

yay. well done on deciding :smile:
good choice imo
Original post by maria.3
yay. well done on deciding :smile:
good choice imo

Thank you :smile:

Latest

Trending