The Student Room Group

Which med school to apply to? (Help please)

Heya these are my stats:
UCAT: 2880 B1
GCSEs: Nine 9s and two 8s
Predicted A-Levels: 3 A* for Bio Chem Maths

Preferences: Don’t really mind where it is. Would prefer a campus uni to a city one, also would prefer a course where some time for studying abroad is allowed)
Contextual: Sometimes meet a few depending on criteria.

Unis I’m thinking of:
- Manchester (guaranteed interview as my UCAT’s likely above the threshold)
- Leicester (got 60.5/64, but I think 59.5 was the cut off last year so not too sure about this. My contextuals would only help in borderline groups, and am also not liking the A*AA requirement (I like to be safe 😞) )
- St. George’s (not really heard many positive things about it, so am wary)
- Aston
- Newcastle
- Southampton (I think my personal statement should be ok but they do rank UCAT scores, but the lowest invited was 2750s last year I heard, so could be an option)
- HYMS (Points-wise = GCSEs (30/30), B1 (15/15), contextual (11/15) and UCAT depending on the deciles I’m guessing (25-30/40) - so 81 points, read on SR cut off was 75 last year? I am leaning towards this med school also because I fit their contextual criteria, so they’d offer 2AB if I did get through)
- UEA (again ranking, it says you need to meet the threshold to get invited for interview but I can’t seem to find what it was. Also read on student room that it’s 50 percent based on UCAT after interviews, and 86% of those interviewed with UCAT between 2800-2890 got offers, quite skeptical of these figures though)
- Plymouth

Any advice is really greatly appreciated, or any unis I should instead look at.
Also if anyone goes to any of these unis I’d love to know your opinions of your med school too!

Thanks in advance
(edited 7 months ago)
Original post by OIIIIfeeelix
Heya these are my stats:
UCAT: 2880 B1
GCSEs: Nine 9s and two 8s
Predicted A-Levels: 3 A* for Bio Chem Maths

Unis I’m thinking of:
- Manchester (guaranteed interview as my UCAT’s likely above the threshold)
- Leicester (got 60.5/64, but I think 59.5 was the cut off last year so not too sure about this. My contextuals would only help in borderline groups, and am also not liking the A*AA requirement (I like to be safe 😞) )
- St. George’s (not really heard many positive things about it, so am wary)
- Aston
- Southampton (I think my personal statement should be ok but they do rank UCAT scores, but the lowest invited was 2750s last year I heard, so could be an option)
- HYMS (Points-wise = GCSEs (30/30), B1 (15/15), contextual (11/15) and UCAT depending on the deciles I’m guessing (25-30/40) - so 81 points, is that enough? I am leaning towards this med school also because I fit their contextual criteria, so they’d offer 2AB if I did get through)
- UEA (again ranking)
- Plymouth

Any advice is really greatly appreciated, or any unis I should instead look at.
Also if anyone goes to any of these unis I’d love to know your opinions of your med school too!

Thanks in advance

leicester is fine as the cutoff should drop this year, probably to around 58.
southampton and uea look good
hyms is fine, you actually score 92 if your score ends up in 9th decile, 96 if it ends up in 10th (think you were reading the deciles wrong), plus sjt band 1 + contextual is an advantage post interview.
aston is good as ucat and gcses are used post interview
plymouth and sgul are generally a little bit more competitive at interview, so you do have better options if you want to maximise your post interview chances
Reply 2
Original post by reubenn05
leicester is fine as the cutoff should drop this year, probably to around 58.
southampton and uea look good
hyms is fine, you actually score 92 if your score ends up in 9th decile, 96 if it ends up in 10th (think you were reading the deciles wrong), plus sjt band 1 + contextual is an advantage post interview.
aston is good as ucat and gcses are used post interview
plymouth and sgul are generally a little bit more competitive at interview, so you do have better options if you want to maximise your post interview chances

Ah thank you so much for the advice I’ll recheck the scoring policy.. also why would leicester’s cutoff drop for this year?
Original post by OIIIIfeeelix
Ah thank you so much for the advice I’ll recheck the scoring policy.. also why would leicester’s cutoff drop for this year?

because they're scoring 8s and 9s differently whereas last year they scored them the same, and this year there is less gcse grade inflation
Reply 4
Original post by reubenn05
because they're scoring 8s and 9s differently whereas last year they scored them the same, and this year there is less gcse grade inflation

Ohh right thanks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending