The Student Room Group

Maths c4 OCR - diving polynomials...How to use identity method?

polynomial.JPG

this be the question i'm tryna solve.

so obviously there's the long division method, but i've tried many times and i've never understood it. in c2 i just used the identity method for polynomials

we weren't taught the identity method for diving polynomials in class, but the mark scheme used that method as an example of how to solve this question

so im wondering if someone can explain to me how to use the identity method for these types of questions?

thank you
Original post by ZiggyStardust_
polynomial.JPG

this be the question i'm tryna solve.

so obviously there's the long division method, but i've tried many times and i've never understood it. in c2 i just used the identity method for polynomials

we weren't taught the identity method for diving polynomials in class, but the mark scheme used that method as an example of how to solve this question

so im wondering if someone can explain to me how to use the identity method for these types of questions?

thank you

In the exam you can use any method you want as they never usually specify. So I'd say get good with whichever method you prefer and perfect that.

In this case for using the identity method, the key thing is to notice that the polynomial on the numerator is 1 degree higher than the denominator (you got x cubed on top and x squared on bottom). So you can write the quotient as Ax + B + (Cx+D)/(x^2 +4x +1). If the numerator was say of degree 4, then you could write the quotient as Ax^2 + Bx + C + (Dx+E)/(x^2 +4x +1) etc

So you get (x^3 +2x^2 -6x -5)/(x^2 +4x +1) = Ax + B + (Cx+D)/(x^2 +4x +1) .

You then multiply both sides by (x^2 +4x +1) and begin to equate coefficients on the RHS and LHS to find the values of the constants A, B, C and D. Your remainder will be Cx+D.
Original post by Anonymouspsych
In the exam you can use any method you want as they never usually specify. So I'd say get good with whichever method you prefer and perfect that.

In this case for using the identity method, the key thing is to notice that the polynomial on the numerator is 1 degree higher than the denominator (you got x cubed on top and x squared on bottom). So you can write the quotient as Ax + B + (Cx+D)/(x^2 +4x +1). If the numerator was say of degree 4, then you could write the quotient as Ax^2 + Bx + C + (Dx+E)/(x^2 +4x +1) etc

So you get (x^3 +2x^2 -6x -5)/(x^2 +4x +1) = Ax + B + (Cx+D)/(x^2 +4x +1) .

You then multiply both sides by (x^2 +4x +1) and begin to equate coefficients on the RHS and LHS to find the values of the constants A, B, C and D. Your remainder will be Cx+D.

thank you very much
!!!

i shall try and apply this method when i do some practise q's
you've been v.v helpful to me :smile:)
thank you very much
!!!

i shall try and apply this method when i do some practise q's
you've been v.v helpful to me :smile:)

To generalise what he has said to make it clear for all questions, suppose we have two polynomials fm(x)f_m(x) and gn(x)g_n(x) of degrees m,nm,n respectively where mnm \geq n.

Then we have

fm(x)gn(x)=qmn(x)+rk(x)gn(x)\dfrac{f_m(x)}{g_n(x)} = q_{m-n}(x) + \dfrac{r_k(x)}{g_n(x)}

where qmn(x)q_{m-n}(x) is the quotient polynomial of degree mnm-n, and rk(x)r_k(x) is the remainder polynomial of degree k<nk < n.

The highest kk can be is n1n-1 therefore we set gk(x)g_k(x) as a polynomial of degree n1n-1 with undetermined coefficients which can determine later and see whether the degree reduces or not.

Example:

x5+x+1x2+4x+1\dfrac{x^5+x+1}{x^2+4x+1} has the numerator with degree 5 and denominator with degree 2, hence our quotient will have degree 3 hence we gonna have Ax3+Bx2+Cx+DAx^3+Bx^2+Cx+D. Then the remainder will have degree 1 at most hence it will be Ex+FEx+F.

So the form is x5+x+1x2+4x+1=Ax3+Bx2+Cx+D+Ex+Fx2+4x+1\dfrac{x^5+x+1}{x^2+4x+1} = Ax^3+Bx^2+Cx+D + \dfrac{Ex+F}{x^2+4x+1}

Indeed, solving it yields that x5+x+1x2+4x+1=x34x2+15x56+210x+57x2+4x+1\dfrac{x^5+x+1}{x^2+4x+1} = x^3-4x^2+15x-56 + \dfrac{210x+57}{x^2+4x+1}
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by RDKGames
To generalise what he has said to make it clear for all questions, suppose we have two polynomials fm(x)f_m(x) and gn(x)g_n(x) of degrees m,nm,n respectively where mnm \geq n.

Then we have

fm(x)gn(x)=qmn(x)+rk(x)gn(x)\dfrac{f_m(x)}{g_n(x)} = q_{m-n}(x) + \dfrac{r_k(x)}{g_n(x)}

where qmn(x)q_{m-n}(x) is the quotient polynomial of degree mnm-n, and rk(x)r_k(x) is the remainder polynomial of degree k<nk < n.

The highest kk can be is n1n-1 therefore we set gk(x)g_k(x) as a polynomial of degree n1n-1 with undetermined coefficients which can determine later and see whether the degree reduces or not.

Example:

x5+x+1x2+4x+1\dfrac{x^5+x+1}{x^2+4x+1} has the numerator with degree 5 and denominator with degree 2, hence our quotient will have degree 3 hence we gonna have Ax3+Bx2+Cx+DAx^3+Bx^2+Cx+D. Then the remainder will have degree 1 at most hence it will be Ex+FEx+F.

So the form is x5+x+1x2+4x+1=Ax3+Bx2+Cx+D+Ex+Fx2+4x+1\dfrac{x^5+x+1}{x^2+4x+1} = Ax^3+Bx^2+Cx+D + \dfrac{Ex+F}{x^2+4x+1}

Indeed, solving it yields that x5+x+1x2+4x+1=x34x2+15x56+210x+57x2+4x+1\dfrac{x^5+x+1}{x^2+4x+1} = x^3-4x^2+15x-56 + \dfrac{210x+57}{x^2+4x+1}

That's a great generalisation! Thanks for that

Then we have

Example:

think i'll stick with long division :teehee:

Then we have

Example:

oml i just saw this, thank you xxxx

bit trivial but, why do you use degree 3 instead of saying power 3?
oml i just saw this, thank you xxxx

bit trivial but, why do you use degree 3 instead of saying power 3?

Because that's the correct terminology.

Saying 'power' is ambiguous. A polynomial consists of many different powers of xx, whereas saying a polynomial is of degree/order # says that the highest power is #.
Original post by the bear
think i'll stick with long division :teehee:

Yeah I don't really use it if the polynomials are of order 3 or beyond but it's useful and perhaps quicker with lower order poly divisions. Anyhow, that's where the forms come from since a bunch of students are always given them without being told where they come from.

Quick Reply

Latest