The Student Room Group

MATHS

I can't seem to understand how to do this question can someone please help? It's 5 marks.

James and Peter cycled along the same 50km route.
James took 2 and 1/2 hours to cycle the 50km.

Peter started to cycle 5 minutes after James started to cycle.
Peter caught up with James when they had both cycled 15km.
James and Peter both cycled at constant speeds.
Work out Peter's speed.
Well, James' speed is obviousy 20km/h.

He travelled for 2.5 hours.
Peter started to travel 5 minutes later, which is ... in hours.

We know at distance=15, they caught up to each other. Find an equation and solve.
Reply 2
Original post by thekidwhogames
Well, James' speed is obviousy 20km/h.

He travelled for 2.5 hours.
Peter started to travel 5 minutes later, which is ... in hours.

We know at distance=15, they caught up to each other. Find an equation and solve.

I managed to get James' speed but I don't understand how to put it into a formula.
Original post by mistakess
I managed to get James' speed but I don't understand how to put it into a formula.

Use James' speed to work out the time it takes Peter to travel 15km

Well find out the time it took James. Now you know Peter left 5 minutes later so his time will be 5 less minutes (convert to the same units) and then calculate the speed by distance/time.
1. Find James' speed (50/2.5)
2. Find out how long it takes James to travel 15km (time=distance/speed)
3. So James took ___ minutes to travel 15km. Peter will have taken 5 less minutes than this.
4. Speed=d/t so use this to find out Peter's speed. You already have the distance and the time (15 km and the time you worked out in part 3 of this this question).

Because his speed is constant, it's the same no matter what point you measure it from. Once you've followed these 4 steps you should've worked it out.

Hope this helped somewhat :smile:
Reply 6
Thank youuuuu it did!
Thank youuuuu it did!

Woooo yesss
Is this in a paper your doing as I had it in a mock and would like to be able to see the paper again.
So could you please give me the answer so i know if i have got it right?
My tutor has marked up the answer as 22.5k/h but i dont know how he has got this?
Help please
Original post by foggy_wigan
So could you please give me the answer so i know if i have got it right?
My tutor has marked up the answer as 22.5k/h but i dont know how he has got this?
Help please

I agree with this answer; here's how to get it:

Spoiler

Quick Reply

Latest