The Student Room Group
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website

Lancaster university- what college?

I've just recently firmed Lancaster University as my top choice for next year, I've since been looking at accommodation types and colleges. I really like the look of the townhouses and see that these are in both County and Grizedale but can't decide which college I would prefer!

I've heard that there are stereotypes from each college but am not sure what these actually are. I think Grizedale's smaller and therefore maybe more "homely" but then I've heard that County are the only college to organise nights out outside of Lancaster which I think would be fun. Any advice?
I would focus on the accomodation not the college feel. Some of my first year friends got super into the college, while others got super into sports societies or whatever. Colleges are great at helping you settle in, but they either become an important part of your university life or somewhat superfluous.

I personally went for a Grizedale Townhouse and loved it! (And grizedale does nights out in Manchester and an annual secret social weekend where you pay £40 and spend a weekend in a mystery location enjoying the night life)
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website
Reply 2
Hello hello hello,

I'm a first year at Lancaster University and in Furness college so naturally am going to tell you that it is the best college, but if I'm being honest, you're gonna feel at home in whatever college you end up in; at the end of the day your college is just what you make of it.

You should base your decision on a few factors I think: location, price, type of accommodation etc.

- Bowland is in the very centre of campus
- Furness and Fylde are very central and easy to get to but not right in the middle of everything
- Grizedale, Pendle and Country are a little further out
- Graduate, Cartmel and Lonsdale are on a separate little campus so a little bit of a trek

Also look at what kind of accommodation each college offers, how long the let is for and how much it costs.

At the open days people tend to make a big deal out of the college stereotypes like Fylde is the 'sporty' college and Lonsdale is the 'party' college and to some extent I can appreciate why but honestly don't let that affect your decision too much because you can find every type of person in every college.

I'm happy to answer any questions you have about Lancaster : )
I lived in County townhouses in my first year, and am also happy to answer any questions you have about it :smile: obviously I'm a huge County advocate - it's got a lovely woodland trail behind it and the baby ducklings hang out there loads in summer term!
Thankyou for all your help! quick question- does the townhouse accommodation come with a TV? when being shown around they had one but not sure whether they had bought it?
Original post by Jessicapriest
Thankyou for all your help! quick question- does the townhouse accommodation come with a TV? when being shown around they had one but not sure whether they had bought it?

Whilst some people bring their own TVs for their rooms, the impression I got from similarly being shown around was that the communal one is already there.
No, the townhouses don't come with a TV. People bring their own
Original post by Afcwimbledon2
I would focus on the accomodation not the college feel. Some of my first year friends got super into the college, while others got super into sports societies or whatever. Colleges are great at helping you settle in, but they either become an important part of your university life or somewhat superfluous.

I personally went for a Grizedale Townhouse and loved it! (And grizedale does nights out in Manchester and an annual secret social weekend where you pay £40 and spend a weekend in a mystery location enjoying the night life)

Just wondering if I were to choose Furness college but wanted to go to an event such as the annual secret social weekend that grizedale was running would I be able to do that even though I am part of a different college? Thanks!
Original post by Chloegreen28
Just wondering if I were to choose Furness college but wanted to go to an event such as the annual secret social weekend that grizedale was running would I be able to do that even though I am part of a different college? Thanks!

I think the college's that run the event get first priority but any others can come along. Id sometimes get friends to buy me tickets for say one colleges Extrav but in return I'd buy them for mine!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending