The Student Room Group

University

How is a student's life in University in UK ?
In terms of what
- contact hours
- course work
- societies and different opportunities
- clubbing and social life
Hi!

I've just finished my second year at Lancaster University so thought I could help with this. Student life varies dramatically across subject areas/locations so I'd definitely recommend looking at various universities' websites and watching 'day in a life videos' to find out more about what it's like to be a student in various subjects. It's also worth attending virtual/in person open days to experience the environment of different universities and talk to current students.

I can only speak as a natural sciences student at Lancaster, but for me I normally have about 20 contact hours a week. Outside of this we're expected to do a lot of independent work, whether that's further reading or completing coursework. This normally takes your total hours of work per week to around 40hrs, though this varies by university and subject. Assessment is made up of a mixture of coursework and exams, ranging from ratios of 50/50 to 20/80. Most of my exams have taken place at the end of the year in summer term, but I have had to do quizzes at the end of modules throughout the year. In third/fourth year, you have to do a dissertation/project that will require you to do independent research.

In terms of life outside of academics, most UK universities have a wide range of societies that you can participate in. At Lancaster there's over 200! These range from sports teams to baking societies to language societies to more subject based societies such as the astronomy society. Whatever you're interested in, you'll find a society for you. They're a great way to meet people outside of your course. Societies such as the hiking club also run trips to locations such as the Lake District which is a great way to explore the local area. Furthermore, Lancaster is a collegiate university, which means that as well as being a member of the university you'll be a member of your college. The colleges each have their own sports teams and run events throughout the year. They also have their own facilities such as college bars and study spaces.

Hope this helps,
Becky (Lancaster University Student Ambassador)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending