The Student Room Group

A level physics or psychology?

I want to do law at uni and I've picked A level history and English literature but still undecided on either doing physics or psychology. I'm doing triple science right know and really like physics, also I heard people say it helps with law, my main problem with it is the maths and being able to cope with it. Whereas psychology seems interesting and I feel like I could excel at it however from what people have told me it has loads of content.

Which should I do? Any advice from people with or without experience Will be helpful?
Psychology will serve Law well.
Reply 2
I’m not going to lie- I have some friends doing phycology- and university’s literally don't care- in some university’s you can even take phycology without taking phycology a-level! Which is sad because it’s a interesting subject and gives you a good set of skills. Physics on the other hand will open up some doors for you in the future- university’s love the sciences and maths. But I don't recommend taking physics without maths- that’s what I'm doing and I'm really struggling.
Reply 3
Original post by Alex.133
I’m not going to lie- I have some friends doing phycology- and university’s literally don't care- in some university’s you can even take phycology without taking phycology a-level! Which is sad because it’s a interesting subject and gives you a good set of skills. Physics on the other hand will open up some doors for you in the future- university’s love the sciences and maths. But I don't recommend taking physics without maths- that’s what I'm doing and I'm really struggling.

What types of maths are you doing? And what grade did you get at GCSE for maths?
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Mr_Robot
What types of maths are you doing? And what grade did you get at GCSE for maths?

I got an A in maths GCSE. It requires a lot of rearranging equation- which I know sounds pretty simple- but it can get very complicated. Also year 2 physics you will study capacitors and you have to learn about exponential decay and time constants and logarithms which is an entire topic in A-level maths. And because most people who take physics take maths- I find the teachers don’t really cover it- you basically end up teaching yourself. On the other hand it’s not impossible and if its something you’re passionate about and you’re prepared to put in a little extra work than everyone else- go for it. It’s a great subject.

Quick Reply

Latest