The Student Room Group

Sociology A-Level

I have considered picking sociology as an A-Level next year. I didn't do it for GCSE as it wasn't available in my school. I have a vague idea what its about- the study of social groups within society and social issues in different countries. but i would like to learn more. Anyone who has previous experience doing it or knows someone doing it could you tell me what its like. I'm aware that its a linear A level meaning its an exam at the end of two years. I heard some people say its quite difficult but i'm willing to work hard.
-What topics are on the course?
-Is it difficult? if so, why?
-Is it manageable?
-Do you recommend it?
-Is it a good subject to have?
i'm doing art and English lit for A-level so will it merge well?
Heey, I'm currently in my second year doing sociology!
1. What topics-
Education, Crime and Deviance, Theory and Methods are compulsory. The other two topics are optional - although most schools choose Families and Households and Beliefs in Society
2. Difficulty-
Personally, the concepts within sociology can sometimes be easy to understand. It's just the amount of content you have to learn. There's a LOT. If you want the top grades, you need to know as many studies and researchers as possible. So I'd say it's difficult in the sense that there is a lot you need to know but actually UNDERSTANDING what youre being taught isn't too bad.
3. Manageable -
Yep, I'd say it's manageable, but of course it's different for everyone.
4. I'd recommend it, I am doing it at uni so yeeepp!
There are many links between english lit and sociology as I do both - in english you need to know certain critical theories, and you learn about those in sociology so yeah it will slightly help out
Hope I helped!
Original post by zaynab1505
Heey, I'm currently in my second year doing sociology!
1. What topics-
Education, Crime and Deviance, Theory and Methods are compulsory. The other two topics are optional - although most schools choose Families and Households and Beliefs in Society
2. Difficulty-
Personally, the concepts within sociology can sometimes be easy to understand. It's just the amount of content you have to learn. There's a LOT. If you want the top grades, you need to know as many studies and researchers as possible. So I'd say it's difficult in the sense that there is a lot you need to know but actually UNDERSTANDING what youre being taught isn't too bad.
3. Manageable -
Yep, I'd say it's manageable, but of course it's different for everyone.
4. I'd recommend it, I am doing it at uni so yeeepp!
There are many links between english lit and sociology as I do both - in english you need to know certain critical theories, and you learn about those in sociology so yeah it will slightly help out
Hope I helped!

Thanks for the honest answer. This has improved my understanding of the subject. You sound like a good student and I hope it goes well for you. It was very helpful!
Original post by OtakuWallflower
Thanks for the honest answer. This has improved my understanding of the subject. You sound like a good student and I hope it goes well for you. It was very helpful!

Thank you! I hope it all goes well for you!

Quick Reply

Latest