6. Durham
7. Southampton
8. UCL
9. Manchester
10. Bristol

Thoughts?
Reply 1
Occasionally.

But most of the time, no. Probably why I'm not going to a Uni on that list.
Reply 2
Original post by giosanti
Occasionally.

But most of the time, no. Probably why I'm not going to a Uni on that list.

What do you mean?
I'm skeptical of St Andrews being that high on any metric other than general prestige - especially given both Edinburgh and Glasgow, which are far more notable for their CS/informatics departments and research, are not present at all. Similarly I find UCL a bit questionable, since I never got the impression their CS department was very strong (maybe the new-ish Mathematical Computation programme and people taking options in Arts & Sciences have bolstered it a bit...), although it's being further down the list does seem more or less in line with this (other than the absence of Edinburg and/or Glasgow...).

I personally feel Oxford's CS department, drawing on the expertise of it's Mathematics, Philosophy, and Physics departments/faculties for their undergraduate courses and teaching, may be a notch higher than Cambridge...a rare concession from me since I like Cambridge a lot more in general :tongue:

Otherwise it seems broadly in line with my expectations at least...
Original post by artful_lounger
I'm skeptical of St Andrews being that high on any metric other than general prestige - especially given both Edinburgh and Glasgow, which are far more notable for their CS/informatics departments and research, are not present at all. Similarly I find UCL a bit questionable, since I never got the impression their CS department was very strong (maybe the new-ish Mathematical Computation programme and people taking options in Arts & Sciences have bolstered it a bit...), although it's being further down the list does seem more or less in line with this (other than the absence of Edinburg and/or Glasgow...).

I personally feel Oxford's CS department, drawing on the expertise of it's Mathematics, Philosophy, and Physics departments/faculties for their undergraduate courses and teaching, may be a notch higher than Cambridge...a rare concession from me since I like Cambridge a lot more in general :tongue:

CompSci grads from St Andrews do pretty well, salary-wise though

Original post by CompSci16
CompSci grads from St Andrews do pretty well, salary-wise though

Well those stats are 3 years old now, and salary isn't the only relevant relevant consideration...from an academic research perspective I would rate Glasgow and Edinburgh above it. For starters I actually know about some of those two unis' research in the area already without needing to specifically look at their webpages...
Well those stats are 3 years old now, and salary isn't the only relevant relevant consideration...from an academic research perspective I would rate Glasgow and Edinburgh above it. For starters I actually know about some of those two unis' research in the area already without needing to specifically look at their webpages...

The data is not three years old, it's the most recently available data from HESA. 2016-17 data will be published in Autumn 2018.

Never claimed it was the only relevant consideration, you made the claim that St Andrews isn't high on any metric except general prestige and I had some data to prove you wrong.

Hi,
I’m trying to decide between St Andrews, Edinburgh and Glasgow, and am more inclined towards Glasgow.
I understand why you’d find Edinburgh better than St Andrews, but why do you find Glasgow better than St Andrews?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending