The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2280
epitome
So to dismiss with a "for God's sake" or accusation of melodrama is myopic and unfortunate to say the least.

I absolutely did not :mad:

It was a straight question, borne out of the fact I don't know how to intepret the post.

The question was, and is: is this serious (presumably because of some good reason) or is it melodrama or a joke?

Question, not accusation.
Adhsur
If the mother just HAPPENS to die and it was unknown before, I don't see why this is any different to when the mother actually wants the child. The government would not be to blame.

I think that the dangers of pregnancy are well documented enough for them to come into a lot of decisions regarding abortions. It's not straightforward. The government is blocking the mother from protecting herself from physical harm she can easily avoid through modern medical procedures.

Adhsur
I was talking merely about the ethics of the issue and not the practicalities.

Well I mean this is just rofltastic stuff. I hope you do well with your great achievement in proving something wrong only at the point at which you can't apply this wrongness to the social sphere (where, may I add, most of us theorists would like to derive any sense of truth.)

MB
Reply 2282
OMG why won't the sodding Newton catalogue work? I need it for thesis-related stuff. *cries*
Reply 2283
musicbloke
I think that the dangers of pregnancy are well documented enough for them to come into a lot of decisions regarding abortions. It's not straightforward. The government is blocking the mother from protecting herself from physical harm she can easily avoid through modern medical procedures.

Well I mean this is just rofltastic stuff. I hope you do well with your great achievement in proving something wrong only at the point at which you can't apply this wrongness to the social sphere (where, may I add, most of us theorists would like to derive any sense of truth.)

MB

I'd like to reiterate that if in practice it has been shown that legislating against abortion has increased the rates of abortion (evidence?), then I disagree with the legislation. Only because I prefer the situation where fewer abortions occur.

But this is not interesting and not what other people are basing their arguments on, so why not actually talk about the controversial stuff, not the trivial?
Rushda
I think to leave a discussion and not have the strength to be challenged is rather more myopic.

I am concerned that you seem to think everything boils down to hypothetical argument. I think it was made clear very early on in this debate, when people were calling for it to stop, that this issue is highly personal and therefore inflammatory. Whilst some people may be able to retain philosophical 'distance', others might not. This is not about intellectual (or even character) "strength", really, and, well to be quite frank, anyone who manages to suggest that Bumblebee3 in some way lacks "strength" simply doesn't know her. But that's probably making this rather too personal.

Don't think, too, that those posting 'dispassionately' care less, or are less furious about one thing or another. What was said in the post Bumblebee3 reacted to, as you can surely see, is provocative, whether or not Puppy meant it that way? And, though you might be being all 'intellectual' or 'objective' about this, not all of us are, for one reason or another. Or, perhaps, people's very genuine and intelligent thinking about the issue has led them to be emotional about it? Complicated, isn't it.

Tom
Question, not accusation.

Apologies, Tom, I misinterpreted. Though in the question you did not include an option for "being entirely serious"...
puppy
OMG why won't the sodding Newton catalogue work? I need it for thesis-related stuff. *cries*

Hasn't been working all day. Similar frustrations here! :frown:
Adhsur
I'd like to reiterate that if in practice it has been shown that legislating against abortion has increased the rates of abortion (evidence?), then I disagree with the legislation. Only because I prefer the situation where fewer abortions occur.

You are being obtuse for the sake of it now. I'll go on a little hunt if you really want me to prove to you that death through childbirth/illegal abortion goes down when abortion is legalised if you really demand proof of it, and TBH I couldn't give a flying **** how many foetuses you have to throw away to save people's lives.

Adhsur
But this is not interesting and not what other people are basing their arguments on, so why not actually talk about the controversial stuff, not the trivial?

Done?

MB
Reply 2287
Adhsur
I'd like to reiterate that if in practice it has been shown that legislating against abortion has increased the rates of abortion (evidence?), then I disagree with the legislation.

Huh? Why would it increase it? I don't think that's what's being suggested.

The point being made is that de-legalising abortion won't *decrease* the rate of abortion (at least, not significantly and certainly not to zero). The evidence for this (though I don't have a hyperlink for it) lies in places and periods where abortion was not legal, but happened anyway.

The point, then, is that if abortion still continues but now *illegally* then you turn regulated medecine into a criminal enterprise and in so doing expose mothers to much greater risk. Essentially, see the posts above for the problems in reality of banning something that people want to do badly enough to circumvent the ban.
Reply 2288
epitome
Apologies, Tom, I misinterpreted. Though in the question you did not include an option for "being entirely serious"...

:smile:

((previously I said I wasn't sure I should be prying as to what the entirely serious reason might be))

Complicated, isn't it.

You shoulda saved that line for getting the last word in when this debate dies down ^^ :p:
Reply 2289
epitome
I am concerned that you seem to think everything boils down to hypothetical argument. I think it was made clear very early on in this debate, when people were calling for it to stop, that this issue is highly personal and therefore inflammatory. Whilst some people may be able to retain philosophical 'distance', others might not. This is not about intellectual (or even character) "strength", really, and, well to be quite frank, anyone who manages to suggest that Bumblebee3 in some way lacks "strength" simply doesn't know her. But that's probably making this rather too personal.

Don't think, too, that those posting 'dispassionately' care less, or are less furious about one thing or another. What was said in the post Bumblebee3 reacted to, as you can surely see, is provocative, whether or not Puppy meant it that way? And, though you might be being all 'intellectual' or 'objective' about this, not all of us are, for one reason or another. Or, perhaps, people's very genuine and intelligent thinking about the issue has led them to be emotional about it? Complicated, isn't it.

I think that if you can call me myopic even though you don't know me, you can't complain that I don't know someone else when I call them myopic. Maybe I shouldn't have been so dismissive, but I can't help feeling that it is SUCH a shame that someone can get upset simply by discussing something (and it is an important topic to discuss). The answer isn't so clear-cut that she has to get UPSET, and the fact that she felt THIS offended at my opinion that she couldn't even stick around to hear me out insults me a little.
Reply 2290
musicbloke

I'll go on a little hunt if you really want me to prove to you that death through childbirth/illegal abortion goes down when abortion is legalised if you really demand proof of it

Oh and btw that is not the proof I want!! What I want to know is whether there are just as many or more abortions taking place is abortion is criminalised.
Reply 2291
Are you arguing that a woman shouldn't be allowed an abortion if she wants one? If so, why? What's the justification?
Reply 2293
this is ridiculous.

edit: i meant the abortion thing. the prostitute mathmo thing rocks! i finally have a life plan!!
Reply 2294
CamRob
Are you arguing that a woman shouldn't be allowed an abortion if she wants one? If so, why? What's the justification?

I wouldn't go there if I were you. From my point of view people should bear the consequences of their actions; choose to have sex, have a baby. It's not that hard. Don't want a baby then don't get knocked up.
Reply 2295
CamRob

:rolleyes: That's such an open question. How about this: the foetus is a baby that has a right to life as well.
Adhsur
Do you a)think there's nothing inherently bad about abortion or b) that it is bad but that it is worse for mothers to die?

a)

MB
Reply 2297

Oh my GOD! I remember her, my parents used to say I should be like her. :eek:
Reply 2298
Adhsur
I think that if you can call me myopic even though you don't know me, you can't complain that I don't know someone else when I call them myopic. Maybe I shouldn't have been so dismissive, but I can't help feeling that it is SUCH a shame that someone can get upset simply by discussing something (and it is an important topic to discuss). The answer isn't so clear-cut that she has to get UPSET, and the fact that she felt THIS offended at my opinion that she couldn't even stick around to hear me out insults me a little.

I'm sorry, but I really can't agree with that. Whatever seems likely, one can never presume to know what a person has experienced for them to be sensitive or emotional on a particular point. She did leave the thread, so it isn't as if she demanded that we stop talking on her account. It might be something really awful that she is justifiably unwilling to make public, and you'd be horrified and feel really bad if you knew what that was.
Sure that's only a maybe, but its a maybe that makes it worth not condemning unless you know all the facts.
Reply 2299
epitome
What was said in the post Bumblebee3 reacted to, as you can surely see, is provocative, whether or not Puppy meant it that way?

I think I've been fairly clear all the way through that these are my own personal convictions and have nothing to do with the way I judge other people's decisions. My actions and my decisions are my own and they have nothing to do with anyone else. I would never support any legislation to restrict abortion to those who want it, but it's my personal belief that I should take responsibility for my actions.

I retract what I said if it caused offense, I obviously have no intention of offending anyone in this thread.

Latest

Trending

Trending