The Student Room Group

STEM Subjects

I badly want to do a Stem Subject such as Economics at Univeristy.However A Level Maths is a problem, i do not particularly enjoy Maths and do not want to do it at A Level.The Consquences of this is most STEM Courses require this esp at Russel Group Uni's...What do i do ??
Maths is really important for any academic field you chose, if you’re good at it maybe you should give it accelerated in 1 year and get rid of it all at once
Original post by STw67
I badly want to do a Stem Subject such as Economics at Univeristy.However A Level Maths is a problem, i do not particularly enjoy Maths and do not want to do it at A Level.The Consquences of this is most STEM Courses require this esp at Russel Group Uni's...What do i do ??

selective universities (Russel Group) want a level maths to study economics and preferably economics at A Level (not required tho), like Kings, UCL and LSE. Maths would be very useful for economics, so if your good at maths defo consider so. But it’s your call.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Elite360
selective universities (Russel Group) want a level maths to study economics and preferably economics at A Level (not required tho), like Kings, UCL and LSE. Maths would be very useful for economics, so if your good at maths defo consider so. But it’s your call.

I am average/your 7/10 Guy at Maths and i do not enjoy GCSE Maths so of course i wont enjoy it at A Level ? Does this mean i cannot do any STEM Courses
Original post by STw67
I am average/your 7/10 Guy at Maths and i do not enjoy GCSE Maths so of course i wont enjoy it at A Level ? Does this mean i cannot do any STEM Courses

You can still do STEM courses, maybe limiting university choices. But depends if that matters to you! You can still do economics at other unis dw! Maths isn’t required in other universities but would be helpful.
Reply 5
You can still do STEM courses, maybe limiting university choices. But depends if that matters to you! You can still do economics at other unis dw! Maths isn’t required in other universities but would be helpful.

Wouldn't that be universities like London Met...I am saying that as i want to stay within London
Original post by STw67
Wouldn't that be universities like London Met...I am saying that as i want to stay within London

Yep! That’s fine!
Reply 7
Yep! That’s fine!

I Would rather not go to University at all, if it meant going to London Met
Original post by STw67

Economics is not a STEM subject. STEM subjects are science, technology, engineering and maths; economics is none of those.

If you don't like maths why do you want to do an economics degree? It's a highly numerical degree (even if you study a BA as opposed to a BSc) and most top universities want A-level maths to study economics at degree level. There are some BA degrees at good universities that don't require A-level maths but even those are going to have a good amount of maths in the actual degree so you'd need to be able to cope with that.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by STw67
I Would rather not go to University at all, if it meant going to London Met

There are other non-Russell groups unis in London than London Met (city, middlesex, goldsmiths, Westminster)

Maths can be a big part of any course, esp econ. If you want to do a STEM subject, I would recommend Bio or *perhaps* chem if you didn't want to do maths
Reply 10
Original post by Glassapple
Economics is not a STEM subject. STEM subjects are science, technology, engineering and maths; economics is none of those.

If you don't like maths why do you want to do an economics degree? It's a highly numerical degree (even if you study a BA as opposed to a BSc) and most top universities want A-level maths to study economics at degree level. There are some BA degrees at good universities that don't require A-level maths but even those are going to have a good amount of maths in the actual degree so you'd need to be able to cope with that.

Economics rates very well in Graduate Employment.If i am not allowed for STEM Subjects, apart from Economics i dont see any other worthwhile courses that i would want to do.Economics is Mathematical Heavy however it is also very analytical and theory based, i like that mix.

Quick Reply

Latest