The Student Room Group

IGCSE CIE Computer Science

Guys do I need to memorize the code for the entire pre-release material? Or should I only memorize the code for part 2? All the previous years they have asked for the code for part 2 of the pre-release, so I am a bit confused. Help would be appreciated as soon as possible.
BTW I am talking about IGCSE CIE Computer Science.
Thanks
Try memorizing all of the code because you don't want to take any risks i guess! Also are you doing the one that's a computer shop?

Original post by Abdul1505
Guys do I need to memorize the code for the entire pre-release material? Or should I only memorize the code for part 2? All the previous years they have asked for the code for part 2 of the pre-release, so I am a bit confused. Help would be appreciated as soon as possible.
BTW I am talking about IGCSE CIE Computer Science.
Thanks
Reply 2
No I am doing the one that has something to do with a farmer and the volume of milk his cows produce.(Seriously). Anyways, your point is I should memorize the code for part 1, part 2, and part 3 right?
Thanks
Reply 3
The code is only paper 2, theory is paper 1
Reply 4
Original post by Mateja
The code is only paper 2, theory is paper 1

I know that only paper 2 is code. What I meant was, the pre-release is made up of three parts, should I only memorize the code for part 2? Because in all the past papers they only ask for the code for part 2 of the pre-release and ask for an explanation as to how you would solve part 3.
Reply 5
I know that only paper 2 is code. What I meant was, the pre-release is made up of three parts, should I only memorize the code for part 2? Because in all the past papers they only ask for the code for part 2 of the pre-release and ask for an explanation as to how you would solve part 3.

Sorry, my bad, you definitely need to know part 1 and 2, but try to also memorize part 3 (the question on part 3 than will likely be on finding a cow with a yield under 12 liters a day)
I’m doing the computer shop one!
Reply 7
Original post by SophieAmber1
I’m doing the computer shop one!

Good luck
Reply 8
No, you should memorise all 3 tasks. The structure of paper 1 was different from past papers and there is a chance that the structure of paper 2 will also be different.

You should memorise the code and explanation for all the tasks, identity two variables, constants and arrays before you take the exam.

Btw, did you find p1 harder or easier than past papers?

Good luck!
Reply 9
Original post by Staden
No, you should memorise all 3 tasks. The structure of paper 1 was different from past papers and there is a chance that the structure of paper 2 will also be different.

You should memorise the code and explanation for all the tasks, identity two variables, constants and arrays before you take the exam.

Btw, did you find p1 harder or easier than past papers?

Good luck!

Thanks for the advice. I wouldn't say paper 1 was harder or easier than the past papers, I think it was 50/50, not too hard nor too easy.
Reply 10
For the Paper 2 exam tomorrow, is it absolutely necessary to answer the pre-release questions in pseudocode? Or, can it equally be answered using Python? From the past papers I have done, the choice given for answering the big question in section A is always : "write an algorithm to complete ... using either pseudocode, programming statements or a flow chart ...". And I have assumed that "programming statements" means writing in a high-level programming language such as Python... However, I've seen in other threads here people seem to be focussing strongly on having a pseudocode solution so I am beginning to wonder if I have misunderstood..?
Reply 11
Original post by Tobbins
For the Paper 2 exam tomorrow, is it absolutely necessary to answer the pre-release questions in pseudocode? Or, can it equally be answered using Python? From the past papers I have done, the choice given for answering the big question in section A is always : "write an algorithm to complete ... using either pseudocode, programming statements or a flow chart ...". And I have assumed that "programming statements" means writing in a high-level programming language such as Python... However, I've seen in other threads here people seem to be focussing strongly on having a pseudocode solution so I am beginning to wonder if I have misunderstood..?

I'll be honest, I'm not sure. Hope someone else can answer your question. And good luck.
Original post by Tobbins

I have the same issue but I was told to just be familiar with it in pseudocode
Reply 13
Original post by JaJa18796
I have the same issue but I was told to just be familiar with it in pseudocode

Thanks for the reply and good luck in the exam!

Update: I just got a reply about this from another thread, saying 'yes you can' (answer using Python). I will probably aim to answer using pseudocode but revert to Python if I have to.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 14
I'll be honest, I'm not sure. Hope someone else can answer your question. And good luck.

Thanks and good luck to you too!
Reply 15
How was the exam everyone?
How was the exam everyone?

Good paper overall.
Thank goodness they only asked processor and ram. Felt like the first section was easy. I put constant as a data type for ComponentPrices (array I used for the first question) and don't know if constant is a data type. Should've probs gone with integer or real. The database and pseudocode program which counts positive and zero numbers was also relatively simple for 6 marks. The trace table was definitely the most difficult one they've give so far though. Lots of people had different answers. Did you get 6 and then 0 as the two check digits (digit 8) ?
Original post by AndrewBeanedMe
Good paper overall.
Thank goodness they only asked processor and ram. Felt like the first section was easy. I put constant as a data type for ComponentPrices (array I used for the first question) and don't know if constant is a data type. Should've probs gone with integer or real. The database and pseudocode program which counts positive and zero numbers was also relatively simple for 6 marks. The trace table was definitely the most difficult one they've give so far though. Lots of people had different answers. Did you get 6 and then 0 as the two check digits (digit 8) ?

Same I really wanted to write my whole task 2 and cutting it down got confusing. But I found the trace table all right got 6 and 0. The hardest I thought was the difference between counting and summing as I have never seen a question like it before
Original post by AndrewBeanedMe
Good paper overall.

I found the trace table the hardest - where do you think the marks would be?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending