The Student Room Group

Will this result drag me down?

I got my module 1 results yesterday and, while I was happy overall, I only got a C for my C1 exam in maths. I have struggled with maths from the start of the course and worked very hard for the exam, so it is quite an achievement for me, but I am strongly considering resitting, as I was hoping for a B.

If I want a B at the end of A2 next year, is it strongly advisable to resit this module? I know that the modules will only get more difficult and I'd do better to get as many points as possible now. Should I resit or is it not worth the stress? Obviously I will speak to my teacher about it on Monday, but I just wanted to get your opinions too.

Kitty
Reply 1
Depends on how high a C it was. If you were only a couple of marks off then there's no real point resitting, if you're masses off then I would consider it.

That's only me though, it's really up to you. Mostly you will be able to make it up with other exams and coursework (if you have it) as long as you do well so a C won't really drag you down as much as, say, the U I got in my politics module :p:
Reply 2
i think you should sit your other modules in the summer and see how you do ... you might not need to resit. my advice would be that the first module is supposed to be the easiest, so if you're struggling i wouldnt continue to A2 and concentrate on getting a B at AS
Definitely resit it in June. You need to score as highly in the AS modules in order to allow you to drop marks in A2.

Oh, and don't aim for B. Everyone should aim for an A in alll their subjects. :smile:
You might as well go for a resit because you keep your highest mark anyway.
Reply 5
If you want to end up with a B then I think you should re-sit C1 as it's the "easiest" core module and I think the general rule is that you drop 10% each core module (that's what my maths teacher said but it definitely hasn't happened for me). I did better in C2 than C1 but I think that's because C1 is non-calculator (but I still got an A in both modules).

I'd say re-sit but probably talk to your teacher as you said as well.
Reply 6
Talking to your teachers is definatly the best advice as they know you better, but this my advice based on own experiences and teachers advice.

As you said, the modules do get harder, but you have to remember that your maths will be improving along side it, your ability will not stay as it is now.

If your hoping for a B, you could not resit, but you will have to get Bs in your other modules. C1 is meant to be the easiest module, one where you can boost your UMS up, so resit at our school on this module is advised.

However, I would not resit in the summer, as you are going to have loads of exams, maths and not maths, to do. I would personally, wait untill your AS results and then see about resiting. Resitting in January next year would be better in my opinion, as you have fewer exams (hopefully :p:). And like i said your maths would have improved so you will probably find C1 easier second time round.

Good luck :smile:
Reply 7
C1 will be a complete and utter walk in the park, after you do C2,C3 etc...
So maybe not resit it in the next lot of examinations but wait until the one after.
I would re-sit because once you have done C2, C1 will seem so much easier.
I did AS maths and we had all our exams in June and I got a B in C1 and then high D's in C2 and S1, so I got a C overall. But I if I would have done C1 in January, I don't think I would have got a B, so my overall would probably have been a D.
Re-sit :smile:
Reply 9
I don't understand what you mean by C1 but I got a B in my Law overall last year, and I got a D/A/A/B/A/B, I didn't bother retaking anything, some of the individual marks were pretty high, but overall that allows for a lot of leeway right?

Oh yeah and if that was you first module defo aim for an A not a B, you will improve a lot over the next year.

Latest