The Student Room Group

Mhaw- bpd

Mental Health Awareness Week - BPD

What does BPD stand for?
BPD stands for Borderline Personality Disorder, this is the 'old' name for it (I say 'old' because the disorder was only officially recognised in 1994). Nowadays psychiatrists tend to call it 'Emotionally Unstable Personality Disorder/ EUPD' But to me that sounds even worse so i stick with the former. It was originally called BPD because scientists thought it was the middle/border between psychosis and neurosis but they have since rescinded that definition.

What are the symptoms of it?
To be diagnosed with BPD you need at least 5 of the recognised 9 criteria. A psychiatrist diagnoses you and it is unlikely (though not unheard of ) to be diagnosed in one session as psychiatrists like to see a linear consistent pattern of these behaviours so your appointments may be months apart. The 9 symptoms of BPD are as follows:

(Trigger warning mentions of Food and SH)

Spoiler

Why am I making this thread?
Fundamentally because I am embarrassed, I don't like feeling that way as if it is something to be ashamed of. Obviously it isn't a good thing but there isn't much I can really do about it (therapy waitlists are very long and will be at least a year before I can access any) so I thought as it is MHAW that it would be good to try to raise awareness and answer any questions (within reason - I wont answer offensive questions or questions relating to SH or suicide) that people might have in an attempt to reduce some of the stigma (of which there is a lot) that people with BPD regularly face. Am just one person though and obviously don't speak on behalf of everyone. Will probably regret this thread :redface: but am meant to reckless apparently so :wink:

AM(almost)A :smile:

People who may be interested @furryface12 @The_Lonely_Goatherd @04MR17 @She-Ra
So proud of you for making this thread, Cavy! :hugs: Don't regret it! :nah:

If it's OK, I'd like to ask what you knew about BPD/EUPD before your diagnosis, and how your perception of the diagnosis may have changed post-diagnosis, if that makes sense? :redface:
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
So proud of you for making this thread, Cavy! :hugs: Don't regret it! :nah:

If it's OK, I'd like to ask what you knew about BPD/EUPD before your diagnosis, and how your perception of the diagnosis may have changed post-diagnosis, if that makes sense? :redface:

:hugs: thanks TLG :redface:

I knew a bit about it (mostly from on here tbh) it wasn't a surprise when they said it because everyone kept hinting about it (everyone being the crisis team, the psychiatrist and the GP - they kept calling me unstable/i had unstable personality traits), but equally i didnt want them to say it. Is kind of weird really because with anyone else i wouldn't think they were bad people and couldn't understand why some people are so stigmatised to people with it but then like the minute the psychiatrist said it it was like suddenly my entire self was disordered and bad which i wouldnt think of anyone else.
Idk if that answered the question very well :colondollar:
Original post by CoolCavy
:hugs: thanks TLG :redface:

I knew a bit about it (mostly from on here tbh) it wasn't a surprise when they said it because everyone kept hinting about it (everyone being the crisis team, the psychiatrist and the GP - they kept calling me unstable/i had unstable personality traits), but equally i didnt want them to say it. Is kind of weird really because with anyone else i wouldn't think they were bad people and couldn't understand why some people are so stigmatised to people with it but then like the minute the psychiatrist said it it was like suddenly my entire self was disordered and bad which i wouldnt think of anyone else.
Idk if that answered the question very well :colondollar:

You did answer my question - thank you. I guess we tend to treat/see ourselves differently to how we would other people. Hope you do know somewhere deep down at least that you're not bad :penguinhug:
How do I help a sibling who has BPD? How do I deal with their outbursts? When I don't pick up my phone and get accused of not loving them etc I just ignore it because I think it is their BPD talking. I try to be patient and not say anything I feel like I am walking on egg shells sometimes because you don't want to say anything that will set them off.

Quick Reply

Latest