The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I'm potentially in favour of all those languages being taught, depending on the area and whether there are qualified people with the knowledge to teach those subjects willing to apply to the school, or whether the school or Modern Foreign language departments can sort it out.

French, German, Spanish and Russian should be taught (I feel), but that's purely my own bias. They are fairly simple languages (as I would assume Italian would be). I know not of Indian and Chinese, but like I say, I can't think of a reason why they shouldn't be taught...

So long as languages are available and actually taught to people capable of learning them, I see no problem. There are no "necessities", ultimately. It's down to the choice of students and the school.

That said, I see benefits of certain languages over others in terms of their industrial development and the need for interpreters.
Reply 2
Latin (from which a better understanding of English, most European languages, mental dicipline and critical thought inevitably follows) and Chinese or Russian.
Reply 3
I'm not going to choose a language. I just think it's important that languages are taught. :smile:
Reply 4
Wangers
Latin (from which a better understanding of English, most European languages, mental dicipline and critical thought inevitably follows) and Chinese or Russian.

Latin is only helpful for the romance langauges, which amount to about 4. It can help with English, but French is just as useful in that regard. Latin has little advantage for someone learning a German language, an Slavic language, a Baltic language, or a Finno-Ulgric language.

I say all of them should be taught: French, German and Spanish should be a staple of every school, then the rest can be taught depending on tradition and the surrounding population (as to decide which languages are most advantageous to the students to learn.) No point teaching kids Russian if they won't use it, but in a heavily Russian speaking neighbourhood, it's a wise idea.

I say we also throw in Celtic languages in N. Irish, Welsh, Manx and Scottish schools, obviously the Celtic language native to those areas.. Irish especially in N. Ireland. :wink:
Reply 5
I think traditional languages such as French, German, Spanish and mabye Italien. I think that these languages are more easy to grasp as some words are similar to English words. Although this is the case with Latin, its known as a "dead" language as not many people speak it anymore!
Reply 6
German, Chinese, Indian, Japanese.
Large economies, large growth, large population, large influence => large importance.
Reply 7
my school was awsome
it taught french, german,spanish, russian,arabic,gujirati,urdu,punjabi,japanesse.
Reply 8
Any European languages.
Chinese.
Reply 10
Esperanto... and not just our schools, all schools worldwide
Reply 11
I think we should have oppoturnity to learn as many languages, as we can. Including Russian, Hylean. :smile: And Latin could be good as base for other languages AND OPPOTURNITY TO READ ROMAN LITERATURE IN ORIGINAL LANGUAGE.

BTW.: Although I don't like French, it is spoken by 300 millions of people - Harriellie, do you really think it's useless? :wink:
Hylean
I say we also throw in Celtic languages in N. Irish, Welsh, Manx and Scottish schools, obviously the Celtic language native to those areas.. Irish especially in N. Ireland. :wink:

Nobody speaks Manx any more. Otherwise you might as well bring up dead Celtic languages of England like Cumbric. Would be nice seeing Celtic tongue brought back to the whole of the country (and not those just considered to be 'Celtic'), including the native tongue of the Atrebates for me personally. Would be rather hard to do it though. Then again, we could always bring in Norman French too. :biggrin:

Out of the list - Spanish.
My school offered... French, Spanish, German, Italian, Latin

however latin has been dropped in recent years!

i think as long as another European language is taught its okay!
Well, having always hated learning other languages...i picked chinese because mandarin is the second most spoken language in the world, isn't it? But i suppose that has something to do with the fact that China has billions of people living in it.
Why European though?
Candescence
Well, having always hated learning other languages...i picked chinese because mandarin is the second most spoken language in the world, isn't it? But i suppose that has something to do with the fact that China has billions of people living in it.

It's first.
2nd = Hindustani
3rd = Spanish
4th = English
5th = Russian
Reply 17
NDGAARONDI
Nobody speaks Manx any more. Otherwise you might as well bring up dead Celtic languages of England like Cumbric.

It's not dead yet! 56 native speakers and over 1000 of whom speak it as a second language. :p: Thus there is still a reason to teach it and hopefully save it from extinction.
Hylean
It's not dead yet! 56 native speakers and over 1000 of whom speak it as a second language. :p: Thus there is still a reason to teach it and hopefully save it from extinction.

Like Welsh in the 60s!
Harriellie

French/German/Italian are the most 'useless' (if a language can ever be useless) especially in numbers... French is only there because of tradition. It's hardly a useful world language now, is it?

How is French useless? It's spoken on every continent, it's an official language of most international organisations and it has the sixth largest economy in the world. It's also the second most common official language, after English. Not to mention, it's the most popular tourist destination around.

Not to throw around statistics, but there is a lot more case for things like Italian being practically useless than French.

Latest

Trending

Trending