The Student Room Group

Computer science alevel

How is the NEA part of CS? Is it difficult and does teachers help u with it?
Reply 1
Its difficulty depends on a number of factors:
- how much coding experience you already have
- what project you choose to do
- how much time you are willing to put in

I'll say that if you choose your project wisely, and give yourself enough time to complete it, it's relatively easy, compared to the rest of the course at least.

My teachers offered a lot of help, mainly in the ways of guiding me to what I actually needed to do (and what would be excessive), such as what features would gain marks, how to write the report, how I should manage my time, etc.
They don't help much with the coding aspect as that is generally something you need to complete by your own ability.
Different teachers will offer differing amounts of help of course, but most will be happy to offer it, should you need it :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by Teruko
Its difficulty depends on a number of factors:
- how much coding experience you already have
- what project you choose to do
- how much time you are willing to put in

I'll say that if you choose your project wisely, and give yourself enough time to complete it, it's relatively easy, compared to the rest of the course at least.

My teachers offered a lot of help, mainly in the ways of guiding me to what I actually needed to do (and what would be excessive), such as what features would gain marks, how to write the report, how I should manage my time, etc.
They don't help much with the coding aspect as that is generally something you need to complete by your own ability.
Different teachers will offer differing amounts of help of course, but most will be happy to offer it, should you need it :smile:

When do u have to start doing the NEA and how long do u get with it, like when is it due? Also for the coding part, I haven't done CS gcse so I dont know how to code at all, will u get taught that at the beginning of the year? Also is coding difficult? And since I didnt do it for GCSEs will I be very behind?
(edited 8 months ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Replyplz
When do u have to start doing the NEA and how long do u get with it, like when is it due? Also for the coding part, I haven't done CS gcse so I dont know how to code at all, will u get taught that at the beginning of the year? Also is coding difficult? And since I didnt do it for GCSEs will I be very behind?

We started at the end of Year 12, and we had until Christmas to finish it (it may be different for your school so ask/email your teachers).
You'll have the year to learn to code.

You'll be a bit behind on most of the theory since the GCSE is assumed knowledge, but the A Level will recap the stuff you need to know, so you should be fine.

Coding is fairly easy to pick up, just make sure you know which language it is that your school uses (mine uses Java) so you can prepare a bit beforehand. It'll take quite a while to become proficient at it, but just keep at it and it'll be fine

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending