The Student Room Group

what to do with my alevel choices

so you see i want to become a data analyst or an actuary or something to do in that sector when i am older.
i plan on studying :
maths
further maths
economics
computer science
but the problem is that i thought that i didnt pick gcse computer science or do economics gcse. however on resulst day i tralked to the comp sci teacher and he said i would have to learn c# so what im asking is, is what im doing the right choice or should i drop computer science and economics? any advice is apreciated!
Original post by uchechigem3
so you see i want to become a data analyst or an actuary or something to do in that sector when i am older.
i plan on studying :
maths
further maths
economics
computer science
but the problem is that i thought that i didnt pick gcse computer science or do economics gcse. however on resulst day i tralked to the comp sci teacher and he said i would have to learn c# so what im asking is, is what im doing the right choice or should i drop computer science and economics? any advice is apreciated!

Follow your passion. For example, my school did not offer economics gcse, but I could still go to a sixth form and do economics A Level.

It just mean you need to learn some knowledge that other students may already have in your own time
i plan on studying :
maths
further maths
economics
computer science

Can you try rephrasing this sentence please? "but the problem is that i thought that i didnt pick gcse computer science or do economics gcse." You thought you didn't take them? So you did take then, you didn't think you had? :confused:

You then talked to the Computer Science teacher and he said you'd have to learn a programming language. Why would that be a surprise? Were you expecting to study Computer Science without ever having to learning a programming language? Or did he say that you'd need to learn that as a prerequisite do doing the A level? That course is presumably days away from starting? He surely can't be expecting you to learn C# before the course starts? Or is it the fact that it's C# you're being asked to learn, rather than some other language, which is the issue?
Reply 3
Original post by DataVenia
Can you try rephrasing this sentence please? "but the problem is that i thought that i didnt pick gcse computer science or do economics gcse." You thought you didn't take them? So you did take then, you didn't think you had? :confused:

You then talked to the Computer Science teacher and he said you'd have to learn a programming language. Why would that be a surprise? Were you expecting to study Computer Science without ever having to learning a programming language? Or did he say that you'd need to learn that as a prerequisite do doing the A level? That course is presumably days away from starting? He surely can't be expecting you to learn C# before the course starts? Or is it the fact that it's C# you're being asked to learn, rather than some other language, which is the issue?

so i didnt study neither economics or comp sci for gcse, thats what i meant]
also he told me on results day as thats when i decided to change my alevels as thats what was taught for the gcse course. i dont mind having to learn the language im asking on whether it would be too challenging and a waste of time :smile:
so i didnt study neither economics or comp sci for gcse, thats what i meant]
also he told me on results day as thats when i decided to change my alevels as thats what was taught for the gcse course. i dont mind having to learn the language im asking on whether it would be too challenging and a waste of time :smile:

OK. That makes more sense.

How much time have you managed to spend on C# since GCSE results day a week ago? (Please don't say zero.)

If the majority of the other A level students already know C# (from having studied it at GCSE) and the A level course expects that prior knowledge (which your don't have) then you're going to struggle to keep up initially. How quickly you manage to turn that around depends entirely on you, and how much effort you're prepared to put in. Hence why I asked the question above about having attempted to learn at least some of it over the last 7 days.

The fact that you appear to have opted for four A levels won't leave you with a huge amount of time for other studies. How about opting for just three A levels instead: Maths, Further Maths and Economics?
Reply 5
Original post by DataVenia
OK. That makes more sense.

How much time have you managed to spend on C# since GCSE results day a week ago? (Please don't say zero.)

If the majority of the other A level students already know C# (from having studied it at GCSE) and the A level course expects that prior knowledge (which your don't have) then you're going to struggle to keep up initially. How quickly you manage to turn that around depends entirely on you, and how much effort you're prepared to put in. Hence why I asked the question above about having attempted to learn at least some of it over the last 7 days.

The fact that you appear to have opted for four A levels won't leave you with a huge amount of time for other studies. How about opting for just three A levels instead: Maths, Further Maths and Economics?

dont worry ive started studying it :wink: i understand why you would say take 3 however my school only allows fm as a fourth subject/ extention. also, my teacher said that taking fm is compulsory if i wanted to take comp and fm also works well with economics asw so i dont mind
worst comes to worst ill be able to change my options after the first week so ill be able to chnage comp to physics !

thank you so much for your advice :smile:
dont worry ive started studying it :wink: i understand why you would say take 3 however my school only allows fm as a fourth subject/ extention. also, my teacher said that taking fm is compulsory if i wanted to take comp and fm also works well with economics asw so i dont mind
worst comes to worst ill be able to change my options after the first week so ill be able to chnage comp to physics !

thank you so much for your advice :smile:

You're welcome. I hope it works out for you. :smile:
i plan on studying :
maths
further maths
economics
computer science

Hi!

Don't worry about not picking GCSE computer science! A-level computer science is normally taught from the ground up so you'll be fine. People who did take GCSE CS might find it a little easier just because they're being retaught stuff they already know but if you enjoy the subject I wouldn't let that put you off! If you have any concerns I'd ask your teacher for a syllabus/curriculum so you can see what is going to be taught. It also might help you if they could provide a list of any prior knowledge needed so you can see what you'd have to put some extra work into learning. :smile:

- Jessica
2nd year, Computer Science (Artificial Intelligence)
(edited 7 months ago)
Reply 8
Original post by HWU StudentRep 3
Hi!

Don't worry about not picking GCSE computer science! A-level computer science is normally taught from the ground up so you'll be fine. People who did take GCSE CS might find it a little easier just because they're being retaught stuff they already know but if you enjoy the subject I wouldn't let that put you off! If you have any concerns I'd ask your teacher for a syllabus/curriculum so you can see what is going to be taught. It also might help if you could provide a list of any prior knowledge needed so you can see what you'd have to put some extra work into learning. :smile:

- Jessica
2nd year, Computer Science (Artificial Intelligence)

omg God bless you jessica i love you!!!!!! thank you so much <33333
thank you so much for your advice it made me feel better!xx

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending