The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by amitalor
What even was the question for macbeth? What points did people put?

Glad I wasn't the only one screaming at AQA - life is indeed but a walking shadow for me now...

The obvious point was obviously the one I milked (i.e. Provide a comparison between tragic hero Macbeth and good-guy Banquo and the contextual flattery Banquo's solidity and hesitation regarding the supernatural was to James I. There was also the fact the Shakespeare therefore proved that it wasn't merely the supernatural influence that corrupted Macbeth, but that in conjunction with his hamartia - ambition)

From there it all went downhill. I believe I made a point about how Banquo would keep himself distanced from the witches while Macbeth eventually sought them out and tried to bring in some other themes and motifs to spice it up but none of it really contributed to the question.

Went backed and milked their original conversation with the witches on Macbeth using imperatives to command them while Banquo remained composed and questioned why they would not speak to him. Then contradicted myself by saying that Macbeth was plagued by supernatural influence more than Banquo was (-___-)

All in all, it was repetition of the same thing in many different ways hoping that the examiner wouldn't notice. Kiss my predicted grade goodbye I say.
Hey what did people put for Jekyll and Hyde?
Reply 3
I did Jekyll and Hyde - mystery and tension
Julius caesar - how is Brutus or presented as conspirator

How’d everyone find it. Grade boundary estimates??
I did Much Ado About Nothing and Pride and Prejudice. The questions for those two were written by God and delivered by angels.
Did romeo and juliet/ jekyll and hyde and completely messed it up imo :frown: hopefully boundaries are low but highly doubt it as a grade 9 was close to 90 percent last year😨
Did anyone do The Frankenstein and R & J question. How'd you think it went?
Reply 7
Original post by Cakecupcake
Did romeo and juliet/ jekyll and hyde and completely messed it up imo :frown: hopefully boundaries are low but highly doubt it as a grade 9 was close to 90 percent last year😨

How much did u write and what points did u make for Jekyll and hyde and Romeo Juliet. WHat structure did u use to answer Qs

For Shakespeare:
Intro + themes
Each point i’d Make one reference from extract and about 6/7 other quotes outside of extract linked to Shakespeare’s context

I did that two times and wrote 7 pages,
Intro was a bit less than a page long and conclusion about the same
I actually enjoyed the Macbeth question. is thought there was a lot to write about so it was good
Reply 9
What was the Macbeth question ?
Original post by Mickie71539
I actually enjoyed the Macbeth question. is thought there was a lot to write about so it was good

What was the question?
Original post by Deane145
What was the question?

it was about Macbeth and banquos attitude to the supernatural
Reply 12
What was the Romeo and Juliet question?
Original post by MayaCalcraft
Hey what did people put for Jekyll and Hyde?

Jekyll and Hyde was Macbeth's redemption, at least for me :smile:

The question was so vague you could have gotten away with virtually anything:

-pathetic fallacy (e.g. fog which figuratively and literally obstructs our view of the truth, darkness being intrinsically linked to Hyde's appearances in the novella, hence creating tension during scenes that take place in the dark)

-Any reference to duality and juxtaposition that wasn't exclusively focused on the final revelation, from character to setting, could be linked to mystery and tension

-Any reference to friendships and how the reader can tell when something bad is about to happen from how Lanyon and later Utterson lose contact with Jekyll throughout the novella

-Any reference to the inferred homosexual relationship/blackmail between Jekyll and Hyde which would have unsettled a Victorian audience

-Anything to do with Hyde

Mention anything about Victorian hypocrisy/Darwin for AO3 and you're set
How did u guys structure ur points for Shakespeare?

I did 2 points which totalled 7 sides altogether

I looked at the extract and then set a general overview in my opening line of the paragraph e.g. “Shakespeare shows that true power and nobility resides within Brutus’ noble intentions ppposed to his actions” then looked at 2 quotes from extract and about 6/7 from the wider play which I explained and linked to context. (X2)

My conclusion was about a page long and same for intro.

I said Shakespeare draws parallels between both Cassius and Brutus throughout the play but Cassius being a manifestation of the power that comes with rhetoric contrasts with Brutus who is at constant subjection of suffering to the likes of Cassius and other exponents of the art of rhetoric. shakespearetherefore criticises Brutus’ one dimensional nature by highlighting the fixated and limiting power it provides Brutus with opposed to a versatile Cassius who is quick to adapt to changes therefore manipulated Brutus into the conspiracy by taking advantage of his Stoic nature

Is that a grade 3/4 level point based on language etc even if u don’t do the book.... I just hope that’s a good enough conclusion so I can get more than 12/34
I did the sign of four and Macbeth, Macbeth threw me tbh but sign of four, the whole class agreed that it was a nice question
How did u all find it because I F U C K E D U P jekyll and Hyde
Original post by bilalsheraz7
How much did u write and what points did u make for Jekyll and hyde and Romeo Juliet. WHat structure did u use to answer Qs

For Shakespeare:
Intro + themes
Each point i’d Make one reference from extract and about 6/7 other quotes outside of extract linked to Shakespeare’s context

I did that two times and wrote 7 pages,
Intro was a bit less than a page long and conclusion about the same

Did almost 4 pages for romeo and juliet and barely over 2 for jekyll and hyde. Just basically wrote a bunch of crap that made no sense.
Original post by bilalsheraz7
I did Jekyll and Hyde - mystery and tension
Julius caesar - how is Brutus or presented as conspirator

How’d everyone find it. Grade boundary estimates??

i absolutely ****ed up on jekyll and hyde
I did macbeth / A christmas carol - cant complain, gifted with such easy questions

Latest