The Student Room Group

How to take care of curly hair

Scroll to see replies

I take iron supplement already because I lose iron during periods. Not stress, I’m mean I would always stress, but recently I have been losing my hair. I mean I always stress but in 2015 I started to notice that I lost A LOT of hair. That was year 11 mock stress where my hair instead of being thick representing 3 fingers together, went down to 2 fingers. In one week! That’s what the doctor said but I have a stress resistance if that makes sense. Plus I am using sulphate free but this is meant to be good for my hair, since the others dry my hair out bad! I have been using sulphates for 8 years or so.
@AmeliaLost
5B14E06C-6E59-4BE9-8FA9-A2FB89333864.jpg.jpeg

That’s today in the shower.

@AmeliaLost
Original post by TheAlchemistress
5B14E06C-6E59-4BE9-8FA9-A2FB89333864.jpg.jpeg

That’s today in the shower.

@SoulfulTwist
@AmeliaLost

Yikes. That dosen’t look good. I have a feeling that all the stress is making you lose the hair. Maybe start hanging out with friends and take it easy for a while.
Original post by ProRoadman
Yikes. That dosen’t look good. I have a feeling that all the stress is making you lose the hair. Maybe start hanging out with friends and take it easy for a while.

It’s worst that two years ago it was a lot! More that that!
@ProRoadman
But that’s the problem, when my hair dries it becomes thicker?!?

@AmeliaLost
@ProRoadman
But that’s the problem, when my hair dries it becomes thicker?!?

@AmeliaLost

Maybe start trying natural shampoo. It may be chemicals that are making you lose your hair
Maybe start trying natural shampoo. It may be chemicals that are making you lose your hair

But the products I’m using are sulphate free, paraben and silicone free. With natural oils.
I might need a hair cut to be honest, it helps with making the hair look more fuller and less dead. @ProRoadman
I might need a hair cut to be honest, it helps with making the hair look more fuller and less dead. @ProRoadman

Yeah, maybe take a haircut. Not even sure what’s going on. Are you sure you not stressed or anything?
Yeah, maybe take a haircut. Not even sure what’s going on. Are you sure you not stressed or anything?

No, I’m fine. Even if I was it doesn’t escalate that much.
No, I’m fine. Even if I was it doesn’t escalate that much.

I’m all out of ideas then. Update us soon. If it continues, you might have to see a doctor.
I’m all out of ideas then. Update us soon. If it continues, you might have to see a doctor.

My hair is 22 inches long 😱😱
@AmeliaLost
Uh, moisturise it?
Give your hair a trim. Comb it at the big end, don't brush it.
A. You’ll lose more hair in the shower if you wear it curly because humans lose 100 hairs a day; unlike with straight hair, that hair won’t fall to the ground, it’ll get caught in the rest of your hair and come out when you detangle/ shower
B. Use a silk/ satin pillowcase
C. Dry your hair with a cotton shirt or microfibre towel, not a regular one
D. Sleep with your hair in a pineapple so it doesn’t tangle when you sleep
E. Use protective hairstyles like braids and buns to maintain moisture
F. Detangle gently, from the tips up
G. LEARN YOUR HAIR POROSITY. That’s how your hair absorbs moisture. Use a clarifying shampoo then take a strand of hair and put it in a cup of water, and see if it sinks or floats after 5 mins (just look up hair porosity n you’ll easily find it)
H. Use oils to seal in moisture, not to GIVE moisture
I. Youtube is your friend.
Good luck! 😊
Original post by Volibear
I have 4c hair and going no-poo has done wonders for my hair. I wash my hair once or max twice a week, only use water most of the time unless it's been a while and it needs a conditioner. Then I apply leave in moisturiser and put my hair into bunches before I go to sleep. I either bunch up my hair or sleep with a satin night cap because normal pillow cases dry the hell out of your hair.

I used to use sulphate shampoo and relaxed my hair. Hair was terribly unhealthy. Stoped relaxing my hair and my hair got a bit better. Changed to sulphate free shampoo, and then just stopped using it all together whilst letting my hair grow out. Hair has never been healthier! I also got an afro comb and tangle tweezer hair brush because they minimise how much is inadvertently ripped out. We have different hair types but I hope some of what I've written will be useful!

I don’t get deva curls in the UK. Just OGX or Maui Moisture. My hair from the roots just hurts nowadays.
Original post by dartagnankillian
A. You’ll lose more hair in the shower if you wear it curly because humans lose 100 hairs a day; unlike with straight hair, that hair won’t fall to the ground, it’ll get caught in the rest of your hair and come out when you detangle/ shower
B. Use a silk/ satin pillowcase
C. Dry your hair with a cotton shirt or microfibre towel, not a regular one
D. Sleep with your hair in a pineapple so it doesn’t tangle when you sleep
E. Use protective hairstyles like braids and buns to maintain moisture
F. Detangle gently, from the tips up
G. LEARN YOUR HAIR POROSITY. That’s how your hair absorbs moisture. Use a clarifying shampoo then take a strand of hair and put it in a cup of water, and see if it sinks or floats after 5 mins (just look up hair porosity n you’ll easily find it)
H. Use oils to seal in moisture, not to GIVE moisture
I. Youtube is your friend.
Good luck! 😊

Thank you 😊😊😊
Original post by Volibear
???

??? ?
Thank you 😊😊😊

If your current routine makes your hair feel good don’t worry about porosity too much, but if your hair still feels dry then trust me it’ll make sense eventually! 😊 also there’s Cantu and some Shea Moisture at Boots and/or Superdrug, you can order online and there’s free shopping to your nearest store. Also some people like Aussie Moisture 😊 no problem! I had to figure it out by myself so I’ll always pass on what I know :tongue:
Original post by dartagnankillian
If your current routine makes your hair feel good don’t worry about porosity too much, but if your hair still feels dry then trust me it’ll make sense eventually! 😊 also there’s Cantu and some Shea Moisture at Boots and/or Superdrug, you can order online and there’s free shopping to your nearest store. Also some people like Aussie Moisture 😊 no problem! I had to figure it out by myself so I’ll always pass on what I know :tongue:

Okay, thank you. It’s just that I tried OGX a few years ago and my hair loved it, but for some reason my hair is just being flat and the roots are hurting.

Quick Reply

Latest