The Student Room Group

GCSE History: How to remember all of the content?

I have a history exam in 4 days and I was hoping that some people could chip in with some tips for me and anybody else doing history soon.

I find it difficult to remember all of the material we have to know for the exam to put in our answers. I have no idea how to best approach this with the little time I have. I have got mind maps of most of the course but don't know what to do to remember all of them in such a short space of time.

Scroll to see replies

What exam board are you using? Also, you really can condense down the entire content into a few pages, I got all of it in 4 sides of paper (2 pages).
I think you will find,
To get the content in your mind
A rap, a rhyme,
A poem, a song
Rapping is fine
Rhyme all the time
It's not a crime
It works better than making a sign.
And it won't take too long,
Just remember the song.
Reply 3
Original post by Mr Gorbachev
What exam board are you using? Also, you really can condense down the entire content into a few pages, I got all of it in 4 sides of paper (2 pages).

How did you do that? There's so much content
moved to history forum:smile:
What I would do is write down questions for someone to read out on my tablet on topics that you dont know and write underneath answers to them, placing them in your mind more. After that get someone to read them to you and see which ones you struggle with, revise them again and then ask them to read the questions again.

could you take a picture and upload the 4 sides of paper on here i would really appreciate it, im not doing the gcse but im interested in seeing how youve made your diagram/ mindmap?

tysm x
Original post by allenpc
I have a history exam in 4 days and I was hoping that some people could chip in with some tips for me and anybody else doing history soon.

I find it difficult to remember all of the material we have to know for the exam to put in our answers. I have no idea how to best approach this with the little time I have. I have got mind maps of most of the course but don't know what to do to remember all of them in such a short space of time.

I’ve just been answering questions with the help of my textbook to try and remember stuff.
senecalearning has got quite a few history gcse courses too
Original post by entertainmyfaith
moved to history forum:smile:

wooooaaaahhh you’ve gained superpowers:rave:
Original post by allenpc

A good quick revision tip is;

So you have an exam in four days. That gives you three days to prepare;

Day1; Take the mind maps you have made and condense them even more. Perhaps using cue cards. (Make these more precise).
As you condense, understand what you are writing as this will help in remembering.
Day 2; go over cue cards and perhaps ask someone in your family to test you? Ask them to take a cue card and see if you can remember what you’ve written.
Day 3; go over past papers and see what kind of questions have come up in the past. This will give you an idea of what may come up on your exam. Make sure you can answer them.

Hope that helps! Good luck for your exam! 😃
I meant just the medicine through time (Edexcel Paper 1) Here is it
Original post by Toastiekid

wooooaaaahhh you’ve gained superpowers:rave:

:wink::wizard:
Reply 11

I'm doing CCEA. Thanks for that tip, I should try that!
Go to gcsepod.com. It has the content for edexcel history in short 5 minute video bursts and it is incredibly useful. I think its free to sign up without a school account but im not 100% sure - i don't really use it much, but most of my peers say it has helped them a lot.
You don't need to. Make sure you have the key points and a good idea of when things happened.
What do you lot think then, anything missing?
Original post by KatGray2412
Go to gcsepod.com. It has the content for edexcel history in short 5 minute video bursts and it is incredibly useful. I think its free to sign up without a school account but im not 100% sure - i don't really use it much, but most of my peers say it has helped them a lot.

Hi, I fell in love with this website. I tried to make an accoaunt but you need a school account/subscription. I was wondering if you could PM me your account login? I won’t share it with anyone honestly, I just think it looks really helpful. If you don’t feel comfortable though, I totally understand.
Original post by allenpc

Hey, not sure If I'm reviving a dead post here, but if you still need help. Think about what talents you have! For example I am a proficient animator. And making little country ball animations of the Battle of Stalingrad cracks me up and allows me too learn the materiel!
Reply 17
Original post by RaspberryChewy
Hey, not sure If I'm reviving a dead post here, but if you still need help. Think about what talents you have! For example I am a proficient animator. And making little country ball animations of the Battle of Stalingrad cracks me up and allows me too learn the materiel!

Thanks for the reply, that's a really creative way of helping to remember material! I hope this helps others because I've already finished my GCSEs haha! :smile:
Reply 18
Original post by allenpc
Thanks for the reply, that's a really creative way of helping to remember material! I hope this helps others because I've already finished my GCSEs haha! :smile:

If you don't mind me asking, how did you do on your History GCSE in the end? Did you find a way to effectively remember the content?
I'm working on doing that as of RIGHT now lol... My history GCSE is in like a month and a half or something, nervous but I think I got this!
Original post by Anthos
If you don't mind me asking, how did you do on your History GCSE in the end? Did you find a way to effectively remember the content?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending