The Student Room Group

Computer Science A Level Choices

I'm in year 11 and thinking of doing maths, physics and computer science. After having looked at the proportion of students getting a* and a at A level, there is a much larger amount of students getting it in further maths than computing. Why is this and is it better to take further maths or computing for a degree in computing?
Reply 1
I'm in year 11 as well and I've done my fair share of research: whilst computing is useful as an A-level it isn't required by most universities as not all schools offer it. However a degree in computer science involves a lot of maths and physics so yes maths and physics are excellent choices.
As for further maths or computing, it really doesn't matter about the grade boundaries; the reason further maths has a higher proportion of high achievers is that most people taking it are wildly excited and into it, and therefore study it non-stop.
If you're going for one of the top universities then further maths would be useful, but if possible try taking all 4 (that's exactly what I'm doing); I went to a lecture with the head of one of the engineering departments and Cambridge and they said that if a student takes only maths, further maths and physics then it doesn't look as good because "the three subjects have a lot of synergy between them".

So to sum up I'd say go with what you enjoy, but if you're dead set on going to a good university for CompSci then consider taking all 4

Hope I helped! :smile:
further maths students tend to be either a lot more engaged and interested in maths than core maths students OR they have a very strong natural aptitude for maths hence they will thrive taking further maths.

take FM if you want to do CS at university because it will be useful.CS uni courses (from my belief) start from scratch and assume you have no prior knowledge of CS
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by BTAnonymous
further maths students tend to be either a lot more engaged and interested in maths than core maths students OR they have a very strong natural aptitude for maths hence they will thrive taking further maths.

take FM if you want to do CS at university because it will be useful.CS uni courses (from my belief) start from scratch and assume you have no prior knowledge of CS

BTAnonymous is entirely correct: almost every university will build you up from the ground and further maths is very useful, although taking all 4 is preferrable further maths will be used A LOT, it's the difference between being a programmer, and being a CompSci.

Just a sidenote, but even if you don't take computer science A-level, consider reading around and if possible learning a couple of programming languages that are useful, I'd say an OOP language (like Java) and a scripting language (such as Python) would be handy for a degree :smile:
Reply 4
Also something that isn't really related but may benefit you if you're going to be programming, as a student, GCSE, A-level or degree level, JetBrains offer a free licence to their IDEs which are awesome and super expensive, but you can get it for free. I'll put a link at the bottom but if you do get it they offer educational versions of Java and Python so if that's of interest to you, have fun! :biggrin:

I just updated mine and all I did was take a picture of my school ID and send it off with my application, 2 days later I had £500 worth of snazzy programming tools to play with...

https://www.jetbrains.com/student/
Original post by bcapon
I'm in year 11 and thinking of doing maths, physics and computer science. After having looked at the proportion of students getting a* and a at A level, there is a much larger amount of students getting it in further maths than computing. Why is this and is it better to take further maths or computing for a degree in computing?

Further Maths is a lot more self selecting, very few people choose FM who don't really enjoy maths, and those that don't often drop out before taking the full FM A Level. Whereas there are many many more people who choose CS who aren't that great at it, meaning a much smaller percentage get the top marks. This means that it isn't necessarily easier to get A* in FM than CS.

Personally I'd say if you are only doing 3 A Levels, then taking Maths and FM is a bit risky as in my experience there is a high drop out rate, and if you are only taking 3 subjects you risk not being able to drop it if you find spending 2/3 of your time doing maths too much. Historically CS has not been particularly wanted by unis for CS degrees, however that is changing, and I'd say currently it's on par with Physics for how preferred it is. Maths is the most wanted (and in many unis, especially ones with high entry requirements, Maths is a required A Level) and top unis seem to really like Further Maths. However if you are taking 3 A Levels some unis apparently aren't very happy if two of them are Maths and FM (although I couldn't tell you which or how much of a problem it is as it wasn't something I needed to worry about having taken 4 A Levels).

I'd say the "safest" set of subjects to take for a degree in CS at a top uni is Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Computer Science. But if you don't want to take 4 subjects or for some other reason aren't able to take 4, then I'd say taking CS is probably going to be an easier subject to get a good grade in (my experience at least) and the set of subjects is a bit broader, but FM may be better if applying to places like Imperial or Oxbridge, where the majority of successful applicants will have both Maths and FM (although taking FM will in no way guarantee a place at these unis)
Reply 6
Original post by Faction Paradox
Further Maths is a lot more self selecting, very few people choose FM who don't really enjoy maths, and those that don't often drop out before taking the full FM A Level. Whereas there are many many more people who choose CS who aren't that great at it, meaning a much smaller percentage get the top marks. This means that it isn't necessarily easier to get A* in FM than CS.

Personally I'd say if you are only doing 3 A Levels, then taking Maths and FM is a bit risky as in my experience there is a high drop out rate, and if you are only taking 3 subjects you risk not being able to drop it if you find spending 2/3 of your time doing maths too much. Historically CS has not been particularly wanted by unis for CS degrees, however that is changing, and I'd say currently it's on par with Physics for how preferred it is. Maths is the most wanted (and in many unis, especially ones with high entry requirements, Maths is a required A Level) and top unis seem to really like Further Maths. However if you are taking 3 A Levels some unis apparently aren't very happy if two of them are Maths and FM (although I couldn't tell you which or how much of a problem it is as it wasn't something I needed to worry about having taken 4 A Levels).

I'd say the "safest" set of subjects to take for a degree in CS at a top uni is Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Computer Science. But if you don't want to take 4 subjects or for some other reason aren't able to take 4, then I'd say taking CS is probably going to be an easier subject to get a good grade in (my experience at least) and the set of subjects is a bit broader, but FM may be better if applying to places like Imperial or Oxbridge, where the majority of successful applicants will have both Maths and FM (although taking FM will in no way guarantee a place at these unis)

My school have clearly stated to us that they are reluctant in allowing us to drop 1 of our 4 options if we did take 4 and so I would not be able to drop 1 for the second year. If I took Maths, FM and physics I would be doing mechanics in most of my lessons through the 2 years which would become very boring. Therefore, it seems Maths, Compsci and physics would be the most enjoyable of the subjects and would potentially be better to excel in I guess
Alot of it is to do with who takes the course.

Further maths could be harder, but people who are not good at maths don't take it, so there will be a higher pass rate.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending