The Student Room Group

How long should it take to reach grade 1 piano?

I started having lessons towards the beginning of January this year and I'm doing a prep test in a couple weeks time. I'd like to know how long it could take to reach grade 1; I practise around 3 days a week for around 30 mins (during holidays I practise everyday for 45mins/an hour). My teacher has mentioned a couple of times that I'm progressing well for someone with no prior musical experience but I'm still unsure how long it'll take to do grade 1 (btw I want to do it as soon as possible as gcses are next year and I leave shortly after which means I'll have to find a new teacher).

Any tips/advice is appreciated :smile:
Reply 1
Original post by natty_b
I started having lessons towards the beginning of January this year and I'm doing a prep test in a couple weeks time. I'd like to know how long it could take to reach grade 1; I practise around 3 days a week for around 30 mins (during holidays I practise everyday for 45mins/an hour). My teacher has mentioned a couple of times that I'm progressing well for someone with no prior musical experience but I'm still unsure how long it'll take to do grade 1 (btw I want to do it as soon as possible as gcses are next year and I leave shortly after which means I'll have to find a new teacher).

Any tips/advice is appreciated :smile:

Hiyaa, I'm a grade 8 piano player, got the exam on 25th June and then I'm done.
I started off like you, absolutely no prior knowledge. You are doing a good job by keeping regular practise. 1/2 hour is a good amount of time whilst reaching grade 1, however if you want to do higher grades keep in mind you may have to practise longer as material is much hard- I practise 4 hours a day.

I started learning piano at the age of 7 and it took me about a year to reach grade one standard as a was a slow learner- but this varies from person to person.
Just make sure you know your basic theory- like notes and time values, key signatures and time signatures (hopefully you know what I'm talking about)- this should make the learning process quicker for you and you'll be able to progress at a much quicker pace.
To complete a grade, it usually takes a year if you want to achieve good marks.

Hope this helped,
Let me know if you have any questions or help.
Reply 2
Original post by HKP24
Hiyaa, I'm a grade 8 piano player, got the exam on 25th June and then I'm done.
I started off like you, absolutely no prior knowledge. You are doing a good job by keeping regular practise. 1/2 hour is a good amount of time whilst reaching grade 1, however if you want to do higher grades keep in mind you may have to practise longer as material is much hard- I practise 4 hours a day.

I started learning piano at the age of 7 and it took me about a year to reach grade one standard as a was a slow learner- but this varies from person to person.
Just make sure you know your basic theory- like notes and time values, key signatures and time signatures (hopefully you know what I'm talking about)- this should make the learning process quicker for you and you'll be able to progress at a much quicker pace.
To complete a grade, it usually takes a year if you want to achieve good marks.

Hope this helped,
Let me know if you have any questions or help.

Cheers and good luck on your exam!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending