The Student Room Group

AQA A-Level Biology paper 2 11th June 2018 unofficial markscheme

Scroll to see replies

for the bacteria division question there were 84 divisions so it's 2 to the power of 83 no?
Original post by lucyv1234
For the yeast one where it said why do you wait an hour I said so the gas fills up the flask and gets to the tubing

There was a question about why they all had to be on the same diets and for that one I said so they had the same amount of glucose in the blood and water potential of the blood was constant so no osmoregulation would occur

I put so the alkaline stuff had time to absorb the oxygen, I suppose we can't tell what's on the markscheme for those suggest questions
For the yeast one where it said why do you wait an hour I said so the gas fills up the flask and gets to the tubing

There was a question about why they all had to be on the same diets and for that one I said so they had the same amount of glucose in the blood and water potential of the blood was constant so no osmoregulation would occur

So that the rate of respiration can stabilise
What did everyone say for the last question? About iPS and gene therapy?
Original post by Xusor1
I put that CO2 increased pressure on the left of the liquid so It pushed it to the right .

I’m pretty sure they asked why did it move left
Original post by dumbasslmao
for the bacteria division question there were 84 divisions so it's 2 to the power of 83 no?

I did 2 to the power of 84:

0 divisions = 2^0 = 1 cell
1 division = 2^1 = 2 cells
2 divisions = 2^2 = 4 cells
etc
84 divisions = 2^84???
Reply 26
Hardy Weinberg
10% is a frequency of 0.1
Therefore q^2=0.1
Therefore q= sqrt of 0.1

p^2 + 2pq + q^2=1

Sub in values of q and q^2 and figure out what p is. I personally used the quadratic formula and rounded the answer up to 0.68. Then the answer is 2 times your answer of p multiplied by q.
So 2pq= 2*0.68*sqrt of 0.1
=0.43...
=43%

Wasn’t it 83 to the power of 2

I thinks it 84 because 2 to the power of 1 is 2 and that’s one division right?
Original post by eliza154

etc
84 divisions = 2^84???

first division is 1 to 2, then there's 83 more so it's 2^83
Original post by tahmid78

Um I said it was better because it could last a lifetime not two years, I said less risk because of the virus and more likely to work in humans
I thinks it 84 because 2 to the power of 1 is 2 and that’s one division right?

There was 84 divisions. However the division to 1 -> 2 counts as 1. Therefore if you start at 2 there are 83 divisions so 2^83 gives you the number of cells
Original post by tahmid78

Gene therapy on monkeys only lasted 2 years and talked about ethical issues with testing on animals whereas ips could have longer lasting results and can be made more specific
Um I said it was better because it could last a lifetime not two years, I said less risk because of the virus and more likely to work in humans

I mentioned that gene therapy could silence the wrong gene so this could lead to cancer e.g. if tumour supressor gene was silenced etc

I said all that + injecting in the eye may be uncomfortable for people and it wasn't tested clinically on people yet
Reply 35
Original post by eliza154

etc
84 divisions = 2^84???

No, I think you’re meant to do 84-1=83 and then 2^83. Just follow the pattern you’ve created, if the first division is 2^0 and the second is 2^1 therefore the 84th is 2^83.
Original post by sgsb0y
Hardy Weinberg
10% is a frequency of 0.1
Therefore q^2=0.1
Therefore q= sqrt of 0.1

p^2 + 2pq + q^2=1

Sub in values of q and q^2 and figure out what p is. I personally used the quadratic formula and rounded the answer up to 0.68. Then the answer is 2 times your answer of p multiplied by q.
So 2pq= 2*0.68*sqrt of 0.1
=0.43...
=43%

Not 100% sure on this but I think it said the allele frequency was 0.1 which means you use p + q = 1 to get p and q and then put that in 2pq so the answer was 18?
I may be wrong though
Original post by Luvli_2525
Gene therapy on monkeys only lasted 2 years and talked about ethical issues with testing on animals whereas ips could have longer lasting results and can be made more specific

You'd also test on animals with ips though
Reply 38

I did 2^83 too
Not 100% sure on this but I think it said the allele frequency was 0.1 which means you use p + q = 1 to get p and q and then put that in 2pq so the answer was 18?
I may be wrong though

No said the frequency of that disease was 10% which was cause by homozygous alleles so p^2

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending