The Student Room Group

AQA A-Level Biology paper 2 11th June 2018 unofficial markscheme

Scroll to see replies

Original post by JSC16
Yes it was in a glucose culture, glycolysis would only take place if anaerobic respiration happened and no gas would be produced

glycolysis doesnt produce gas but CO2 is released when pyruvate is converted to ethanol
Reply 41
Original post by eliza154
I put so the alkaline stuff had time to absorb the oxygen, I suppose we can't tell what's on the markscheme for those suggest questions

that's what i said too but now i'm not sure if i should've put that or rate of respiration to stabilise :/
Reply 42
Original post by lucyv1234
Not 100% sure on this but I think it said the allele frequency was 0.1 which means you use p + q = 1 to get p and q and then put that in 2pq so the answer was 18?
I may be wrong though

No it gave you the percentage of people with the complete form of that eye disease, which is where you have two recessive alleles (homozygous), it didn’t give you the total frequency for all the recessive alleles in that population, just the frequency of homozygous recessive.
Reply 43
Why would expected ratio be different 2 actual ratio (2)
Original post by mo08
that's what i said too but now i'm not sure if i should've put that or rate of respiration to stabilise :/

They will allow both but likely the major reason is so that there was no oxygen left as you need the yeast to anaerobically respire.
Original post by sgsb0y
No, I think you’re meant to do 84-1=83 and then 2^83. Just follow the pattern you’ve created, if the first division is 2^0 and the second is 2^1 therefore the 84th is 2^83.

don't understand how the first division is 2^0, that's before any divisions have taken place. the first time the cell divides you end up with 2 cells?
Hardy Weinberg answer is 2^83
Original post by Mk1237
Why would expected ratio be different 2 actual ratio (2)

Should be 9:3:3:1 as it was a dihybrid cross
Original post by mo08

yeah hopefully we're all correct :biggrin:
Reply 49
I got 18% for hardy
Reply 50
Tumour Suppressor question?
Original post by JSC16
If anaerobic does not produce any gases how could the bubble possibly move to the right

In yeast it will
Reply 52
Why is the expected ratio different to the observed?

i wrote random fertilisation of gamets and selective advantage
Original post by Helium2
Why is the expected ratio different to the observed?

i wrote random fertilisation of gamets and selective advantage

Isn’t it about the Autosomal linkage thing?
Reply 54
Original post by Xusor1
I put that CO2 increased pressure on the left of the liquid so It pushed it to the right .

I think you are right
Original post by pploveash
Yeah i got 18%

It was 43.2, it gave you the number of people who had the condition which is q squared because it was a recessive allele so you had to square root 0.1 to get q then do 1 take q to get p then do 2pq tofind heterozygotes.
Reply 56
Grade boundaries gonna be as high as the number of cancer cells
For the cell division question:

1 cell to begin with,
With first division -> 1x2^1
Therefore, with 84 divisions, it’s 1x2^84, which is the same as 2^84.
Reply 58
Completely made a mess of the first question lol I misread thinking the first two questions were the same and that yeast question, goodbye 7 marks
Reply 59
I got 18 too
Original post by Rn12345
I got 18% for hardy

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending