The Student Room Group

OCR (non-MEI) Further Pure 2: 25th June 2018

Hello.

In light of a mistaken post I wrote onto an FP2 OCR *MEI* discussion, I've decided to start a separate thread.

FP3 yesterday didn't go very well (silly mistakes...), and neither did M2 nor S2. I'm aiming for an A* and FP2 is my last chance to do so.

What are everyone's most dreaded topics and what words of warning/wisdom could anyone pass on? :biggrin:

Scroll to see replies

Was going to ask the same thing, in a pretty similar circumstance as you could be scraping the A* at the moment due to a strong S2 performance but honestly boundaries for that module are so high I cannot count on it... looking for 93ums+ here to hopefully push it up to an A*.
http://pmt.physicsandmathstutor.com/download/Maths/A-level/FP2/Papers-OCR/Combined%20QP%20-%20FP2%20OCR.pdf

On June 2011 question 8 part 1 the answer substitutes to (x^(1/2))(x-1)^(1/2) + ln(something or other). What I don't understand is how the sinhu becomes the (x-1)^(1/2).
Reply 3
Original post by 1lyke1africa
http://pmt.physicsandmathstutor.com/download/Maths/A-level/FP2/Papers-OCR/Combined%20QP%20-%20FP2%20OCR.pdf

On June 2011 question 8 part 1 the answer substitutes to (x^(1/2))(x-1)^(1/2) + ln(something or other). What I don't understand is how the sinhu becomes the (x-1)^(1/2).

x = cosh^2 u
So x = sinh^2 u + 1 because cosh^2 u - sinh^2 u = 1 so cosh^2 u = sinh^2 u + 1
x-1 = sinh^2 u
sinhu = (x-1)^(1/2)
Original post by Milly.kx
x = cosh^2 u
So x = sinh^2 u + 1 because cosh^2 u - sinh^2 u = 1 so cosh^2 u = sinh^2 u + 1
x-1 = sinh^2 u
sinhu = (x-1)^(1/2)

Oooooooh. I understand now, thanks a lot. My friend and I must have wasted about 2 hours on this collectively.
M2 and S2 went okay, M3 was awful and i've already messed this one up so i'm just hoping to scrape an A lol. I would have had to get 95ums average anyway which I am highly unlikely to achieve after M3
Capture.PNG

How would you do part (iii)?

I don't really understand these questions where you have an expression for f''(x) in terms of f'(x) and f(x), and have to find a similar expression for f'''(x)

thanks
Original post by JackMac2904
Capture.PNG

How would you do part (iii)?

I don't really understand these questions where you have an expression for f''(x) in terms of f'(x) and f(x), and have to find a similar expression for f'''(x)

thanks

f''(x)=-2f(x)-2f'(x)
f'''(x)=-2f'(x)-2f''(x)
f'''(0)=-2f''(0)-2f''(0)
That was an easy paper:h:
Really easy paper probably 62 for 80 UMS thoughts?
Reply 10
Grade boundaries are gonna be high af wtf were ocr thinking lol
Original post by Ladkus
Grade boundaries are gonna be high af wtf were ocr thinking lol

Do you reckon higher than last year?
Hello all,

I didn’t find the paper too bad, actually. But indeed my worst fears have been confirmed - grade boundaries might soar.

Again, we are a tiny sample so we have no idea how others have done.

I think we did our best and that’s all that matters. On this note, I am done with all my A-Levels (and hopefully many of you are too)!

If you would like an unofficial mark scheme I’ll see if I’m feeling up for that later.

Otherwise, good luck for what’s left (S3 and M4 tomorrow?!), and hope you all have a nice summer.
Reply 13
Original post by Wise Libra
Do you reckon higher than last year?

Probably, but tbh fp3 and m3 were hard so idk
Original post by L_stMemories

If you would like an unofficial mark scheme I’ll see if I’m feeling up for that later.

That would be great if you don’t mind!
Original post by L_stMemories
Hello all,

I didn’t find the paper too bad, actually. But indeed my worst fears have been confirmed - grade boundaries might soar.

Again, we are a tiny sample so we have no idea how others have done.

I think we did our best and that’s all that matters. On this note, I am done with all my A-Levels (and hopefully many of you are too)!

Otherwise, good luck for what’s left (S3 and M4 tomorrow?!), and hope you all have a nice summer.

Can anyone remember what the mystery ? is. I can't quite place it, but I think it might have been a definite integral involving sinh^2(x)

Here's what I remember:
1) Graph - asymptotes; turning point and range using differentiation; sketch
2) Hyperbolic functions - 'show that' using exponential definitions; ?
3) Find dy/dx / turning point; two more derivatives; Maclaurin expansion
4) Reduction formula 'show that'; find I4; bounds question.
5) Integration using tan(x/2) substitution.
6) Newton-Raphson method - sketch for x1 = 0.5 and x1 = 1; derivation of formula; use to find root.
7) Rearrangement iteration - cobweb diagram; something I can't remember but wasn't too difficult; use of iteration to find root.
8) Polar coordinates - show that theta=0 is a line of symmetry; sketch, including tangents; area under curve.

What came after the 'show that' for the hyperbolic functions question (Q2)?
Original post by peterw55
Can anyone remember what the mystery ? is. I can't quite place it, but I think it might have been a definite integral involving sinh^2(x)

Here's what I remember:
6) Newton-Raphson method - sketch for x1 = 0.5 and x1 = 1; derivation of formula; use to find root.
7) Rearrangement iteration - cobweb diagram; something I can't remember but wasn't too difficult; use of iteration to find root.
8) Polar coordinates - show that theta=0 is a line of symmetry; sketch, including tangents; area under curve.

I believe it was a definite integral of sinh^2(3X). I can't remember the limits but I believe I got an answer of 1 in the end.
I believe it was a definite integral of sinh^2(3X). I can't remember the limits but I believe I got an answer of 1 in the end.

I just checked, and 1 was the answer to the Weierstrass substitution question, not that one. If I remember correctly, there was only one integral that evaluated to 1. Maybe you're mixing up the questions.

But I do remember a definite integral involving sinh^2(x) - it might have been sinh^2(3x), or we might be remembering the 3 from the polar integration.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by peterw55

Here's what I remember:

I believe it was the integral between 0 and 1 for (cosh(3x))^2, which gave an answer of 1/2 + (1/12)sinh(6), I hope?

The question that you got 1 for was probably the integral of 1/(1+sinx) between 0 and pi/2, using the substitution t=tan(0.5x).

It was a very satisfying answer. :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending