The Student Room Group

A level psychology or philosophy, ethics and religion?

I can't decide on which one I want to do. Could you give me your personal experience on each subject and which is more useful with my other subjects; history and English literature.
I do English literature and philosophy, ethics and religion (Buddhism). And before you pick it, just know that it’s hardly the same subject. It’s literally like you are doing 5 A levels. The essays are not as hard as I expected it is *quite* easy to just get a pass if you follow a simple structure. It is all incredibly interesting and really gets you thinking (much like English Lit) I’m not doing psychology so I can’t help you with that, sorry.
I actually do all those subjects at a level now I’m in year 12.
I do psychology, History, RS(Ethics, philosophy and Christianity) and English lit.

If you want to keep in line with the more essay based subjects I’d recommend mend you not pick psychology.
I find RS very interesting but it can be a bit long and boring sometimes.
I honestly don’t like psychology very much. Some topics I enjoy so much and others bore me to the point I want to give up on education.

You should probably just pick the one your most interested in.

Any other questions I’d be glad to answer 🙂
Reply 3
Original post by Ikhan1
I do English literature and philosophy, ethics and religion (Buddhism). And before you pick it, just know that it’s hardly the same subject. It’s literally like you are doing 5 A levels. The essays are not as hard as I expected it is *quite* easy to just get a pass if you follow a simple structure. It is all incredibly interesting and really gets you thinking (much like English Lit) I’m not doing psychology so I can’t help you with that, sorry.

So it has lots of content? What type of homework or revision do you do around the course outside of school or in your free period?
Reply 4
I hated psychology at A Level. Dull, dull, DULL.
Reply 5
Original post by Rhodesian
I actually do all those subjects at a level now I’m in year 12.
I do psychology, History, RS(Ethics, philosophy and Christianity) and English lit.

If you want to keep in line with the more essay based subjects I’d recommend mend you not pick psychology.
I find RS very interesting but it can be a bit long and boring sometimes.
I honestly don’t like psychology very much. Some topics I enjoy so much and others bore me to the point I want to give up on education.

You should probably just pick the one your most interested in.

Any other questions I’d be glad to answer 🙂

How long is RS course?
Original post by Kirby...
How long is RS course?

I’m not going to lie the RS course is pretty long.
I did RS for As which the course is not designed for so we had to squeeze in so much in a year and didn’t even finish it for exams. I think I did well though in my As exams.

Since most schools don’t do AS the course isn’t that difficult.

There are lots of topic but their not too difficult to understand so it’s not too big of a problem.
You do have to memorise a lot though. Names of scholars and quotes which can be difficult.
I think it’s very interesting though which balances out the long length of the course.

I do OCR by the way I think most RS courses for A level are similar though.
For psychology, it depends on what you enjoy. Some of the content is interesting and I’ve learnt about studies and facts that i’ll never forget and will come in useful.
But there are some boring topics that you’ll inevitably have to learn. If your good at memorizing and getting through stuff, then psychology is for you. If your not good at memorizing and your application skills aren’t strong, then psychology might be a little more tricky. There are some essays you have to write (16 markers), so English might come in useful.
I did psychology (AQA) and there was so much to learn! I was honestly pretty disappointed with the content and it wasn’t even that interesting. The stuff is not hard to understand but there is so much. You’ll probably find yourself spending all your time on it revising. The evaluations of theories/studies is the most important part and it’s so boring. There are 3 papers and for each one, you’ll probably need to know at least 40 pages... honestly so boring tbh.

I also did English lit (AQA) and tbh it was pretty dull too. Basically it’s read a book/play or whatever and then spend ages writing up points and stuff for it...
Original post by Kirby...
So it has lots of content? What type of homework or revision do you do around the course outside of school or in your free period?

Yes, each section (philosophy,ethics,religion) has a lot of content. But it is neatly put into topics, so it’s not that hard to get your head around, but there is a a lot of it. The only homework we get is essay questions once a week. For revision I re read notes and re write them, as you would for any they subject. It’s mainly text book work tbh
(edited 5 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest