The Student Room Group

are my alevel choices fine?

i’ve been continuously changing what i want to study at uni throughout the past few months (typical 17 year old) from things like law/history etc. i now wish to study international relations or something similar and i was wondering if my alevel subjects were fine as i’ve had a few people tell me i should’ve done a modern language or maths
i’m doing: history, economics & philosophy, religion & ethics (pr&e are all one subject)
i’m thinking of applying to ucl / kcl (i want to stay in london)
if anyone could let me know if my alevel choices are fine or at a disadvantage i’d be extremely grateful!!
(edited 1 year ago)
i did history & philosophy, religion and ethics for a level too!

im sure those subjects are perfectly fine to study international relations i dont think you have anything to worry about!
Reply 2
They´re great. IR is quite an open degree (as of levels subjects) so I think these subjects will prepare you well.
Original post by tsr7658625
i’ve been continuously changing what i want to study at uni throughout the past few months (typical 17 year old) from things like law/history etc. i now wish to study international relations or something similar and i was wondering if my alevel subjects were fine as i’ve had a few people tell me i should’ve done a modern language or maths
i’m doing: history, economics & philosophy, religion & ethics (pr&e are all one subject)
if anyone could let me know if my alevel choices are fine or at a disadvantage i’d be extremely grateful!!

I've applied to do Politics and International Relations at uni for September and I do History, Religion, philosophy and ethics and Spanish. I've spoken to people at the universities I visited and they said that my subjects are absolutely fine. History at A Level is quite political and RS is full of debating so I would say that you're definitely fine :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by afreaahxx
i did history & philosophy, religion and ethics for a level too!

im sure those subjects are perfectly fine to study international relations i dont think you have anything to worry about!

thank you so much!!
Reply 5
Original post by szumi1
They´re great. IR is quite an open degree (as of levels subjects) so I think these subjects will prepare you well.

that’s what i thought too i’m glad!! thank you!
Reply 6
Original post by Kiera.Smith
I've applied to do Politics and International Relations at uni for September and I do History, Religion, philosophy and ethics and Spanish. I've spoken to people at the universities I visited and they said that my subjects are absolutely fine. History at A Level is quite political and RS is full of debating so I would say that you're definitely fine :smile:

thank you for the reply!! if you don’t mind me asking where are you planning on going for uni ? :smile:

your subjects are fine!
thank you for the reply!! if you don’t mind me asking where are you planning on going for uni ? :smile:

Warwick :smile:

Heya!
I would recommend looking up entry requirements for the courses and uni and see what they require :h: You can use uniguide or go directly on the unis website and explore e.g. UCL Politics and international relations BSC.

The entry requirement for this one state 'AAA, No specific subjects. An essay based subject is preferred but not required. At least two A level subjects should be taken from UCL's list of preferred A level subjects.'

So I believe you should be fine with your choices if that's the entry requirements ( just double check using the preferred list) ! Do that for other courses and see if it's ok or if you need a specific alvl :h:

I hope this helps!
Milena
UCL PFE
Study Mind
Original post by StudyMind
Heya!
I would recommend looking up entry requirements for the courses and uni and see what they require :h: You can use uniguide or go directly on the unis website and explore e.g. UCL Politics and international relations BSC.

The entry requirement for this one state 'AAA, No specific subjects. An essay based subject is preferred but not required. At least two A level subjects should be taken from UCL's list of preferred A level subjects.'

So I believe you should be fine with your choices if that's the entry requirements ( just double check using the preferred list) ! Do that for other courses and see if it's ok or if you need a specific alvl :h:

I hope this helps!
Milena
UCL PFE
Study Mind

thank you so so much i appreciate it!

Quick Reply

Latest