The Student Room Group

Further Maths- Worth it or not?

Hiya, my maths teacher wants me to do the further maths course as an extra GCSE but even though I'll be allowed to take the exam in school I would have to study it myself. She's referred me to several tutors and although it seems interesting I'm wondering if it's worth doing if I'm not really planning on doing maths A-Level. I've read that the course isn't too different to the maths GCSE except for some calculus and matrices but would it still be too much to take on, especially if I'm not doing it in class, and since I would be doing it with the new 1-9 marking scheme?
nah lol
Reply 2
Too much work or just no point doing it if I'm not doing maths A-Level?
Honestly, I quite liked FM as an extra GCSE and it'll be extremely helpful for maths A-level (from what I've heard) so I'd definitely recommend doing it. Personally, the workload is not that much as it's only normal maths topics plus a few extra so even if you don't do as well as you hope, it will help with your maths GCSE
Original post by flamingo_78

If you are decent at GCSE maths, which you must be if your teacher is suggesting further maths, you can maybe look at it every now and then and sit the exam and still get a decent grade. You don't lose anything from sitting it and having a 6 or 7 in further maths is something, especially if you can say that you taught it to yourself. If you end up not doing well just don't include it in a cv etc.
If you maybe get a book you can work through when you are bored it will be simple.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by flamingo_78

no point doing it. if you did you might aswell do A-Level maths since the first half of the course is just GCSE FM.

Quick Reply

Latest