The Student Room Group

How good is this World Cup?

What are peoples thoughts on the overall tournament so far? For me, it's been largely brilliant.

Host nation who everyone expected to be **** have won the opening game 5-0, scored 8 goals and qualified for the knock out stages with a game to spare.

A thrilling 3-3 between Spain & Portugal

Germany on the verge of getting knocked out after 2 games, before scoring a 95th minute winner.

Most of the so called "lesser" teams have performed, even if they end up losing there's virtually no one sided games.

No 0-0 draws

Argentina in crisis and struggling to qualify, Brazil & Germany not guaranteed to win their group. Knockouts will be different from what we expected.

VAR is working (sort of).

People are optimistic about England again.

Feeling that this is an open tournament because none of the favourites have performed well.

I remember 2014 having an excellent group stage but the knockouts were dire. Let's hope things continue in the right direction!

Scroll to see replies

Love it, particularly luddites not getting VAR

IMG_20180623_213239.jpg
Reply 2
I hope nothing jinxes this because it’s been the best out of the ones I’ve watched (2010 and 2014).

Wonder how much VAR’s prescence has helped in the entertainment section, given the increased amount of penalties and free kicks, which has led to goals.

Only thing really missing is Messi to do something and some sort of Suárez fiasco.
Reply 3
So far the most entertaining i can remember.
Reply 4
Would have been better had Sweden won :hmmm:
Reply 5
Oh:

[video="youtube;1kzvr5VSpEE"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1kzvr5VSpEE[/video]
I enjoyed the 2014 world cup more.
The game with Germany and Sweden was definitely exciting, Germans must have felt so relieved after that last second goal
ng show of passing the ball like that. :smile:
Original post by Tawheed
Oh:

[video="youtube;1kzvr5VSpEE"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1kzvr5VSpEE[/video]

Just so you know, that throw may have been a fail but is one of the best in world cup history as mentioned. Not a single footballer has did an amazing show of passing the ball like that. :smile:
It's been really good in my opinion. No goalless games and plenty of goals and tight matches. A lot of the favourites have struggled so far too so it's hard to predict a winner.
does anyone else remember that pile of s***that was South Africa 2010? god that was tedious - actually worse than no football at all
Football quality wise it has been god awful (other than Spain v Portugal) but as a spectacle it has been nothing less than amazing
Nothing beats the group stages of 2014 WC. Nothing.
So far for me 06 > 18 > 10 > 14
After what I got to know and watched, just a few matches were really good so far, just two of them brilliant, namely Spain-Portugal and Belgium-Tunisia. This group stage of the WOrld Cup tends a bit too more to World Cup 2010.
russian team doing well in a world cup taking place in russia is prrrrretty suspect!
Original post by CollectiveSoul
does anyone else remember that pile of s***that was South Africa 2010? god that was tedious - actually worse than no football at all

lol you werent inspired??
Original post by Bang Outta Order
russian team doing well in a world cup taking place in russia is prrrrretty suspect!

Actually it's quite common for the hosts to do well.
good so far. 2014 groups were good, except tainted by englands poor performance. 2010 was awful.

Loved all the upsets and unpredictability.
won 70 quid on the belgium/tunisia game so cant complain

Quick Reply

Latest